Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
madk1w1

Re: Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Post by madk1w1 »

Hi all you Newbies :P
Haven't been here for awhile, just come back on for a surf and saw this thread.
My 204 is the Ruger Vt with Leupy VX3 6-20, love this little gun gets the biggest workout in cabinet brilliant on foxes, crows, rabbits etc. Reallity is abit undersized for pigs etc, lets try some ethical hunting guys :D .
Back to the 204 I have it on good authority it was the first in the state 8)

Hmm just seen my post count and status has reverted to a lot lower and Newbie Hmm :chin:
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

madk1w1 wrote:... abit undersized for pigs etc, lets try some ethical hunting guys ...
If you're happy to shoot a roo at 350 metres (looking back over your previous posts), then surely a close range pig is ethical?
Last edited by Sth Oz Dan on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Post by boomer84 »

Welcome Anthony Great collection!

Madkiwi great to here from another West Aussie!

Southy I belive in horses for courses! Confidence is key to making a clean kill shot! Shot placment, bullet choice and knowing you rifle/calibres trajectory, effective range and knowing the size and structure of the game in your cross hairs! I belive all these factors are vital for ethical shooting. Can a 204 take a NT water buffalo? Maybe! Ethical? Not likely. I've seen hunderds of camels taken with a 223 with factory federal loaded ammo of various weights and bullets styles when hit behind the ear. The federal factory 204 loaded 39gn SBK has a greater energy than any federal factory load 223 round out to 500yds. So i belive the mighty 204 could take a camel if needed. As for a grunter I am yet to do so but do belive many people have take them with the 204. Ethical? I belive if all the above is taken in consideration, Yes I do belive it is ethical! In saying that check with your state laws because they may have a different opinion. As a awsome pub story could turn in to a large fine or worse Real Quick!

Thats just my thoughts, make of them how u will.

Boomer
edwennink
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by edwennink »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:
madk1w1 wrote:... abit undersized for pigs etc, lets try some ethical hunting guys ...
If you're happy to shoot a roo at 350 metres (looking back over your previous posts), then surely a close range pig is ethical?
Mate of mine in NSW has shot some bloody big pigs with his Tikka .204!
Body shots as well as head shots...

Incidently, I just rebarreled a Sako Vixen deluxe .17Rem. to .204... have not sighted it in yet.
I am in Brisbane, Qld.
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

edwennink - I hope you're getting some of the good weather we have been for the last few days, so you can get that barrel working.
chrisso
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka t3

Post by chrisso »

hey guys, newbie here. from melbourne. had my tikka t3 lite in 204 for about 6 months now. reckon ive taken close to or over 20 foxes with it so far. love it. christened it with a fox on the run about 75 meters. then 15 mins lates got one baking in the sun about 150 away.

we get out at least twice or 3 times a month. mostly foxes and rabbits. im loving this calibre. the old man has a 22-250 and we are always bantering and competing with eachother. this site looks like its got some great info
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:
Fully agree, with that statement. And going along with that, from personal expierence, the 204 will put down pigs/deer and some other animals, with autority, when the little bullet is put in the right spot. :P Bill K :)
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

G'day Chrisso
My bro and I are in the same boat as you and your dad - .204 vs .22-250
Gotta say, I've had a better hit ratio lately :D and with less powder and noise :lol:
Congrats on the foxes and welcome aboard
chrisso
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka t3

Post by chrisso »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:G'day Chrisso
My bro and I are in the same boat as you and your dad - .204 vs .22-250
Gotta say, I've had a better hit ratio lately :D and with less powder and noise :lol:
Congrats on the foxes and welcome aboard
ha ha yeah shoot the 204 and think, yeah little loud, then 22-250....... 204's not loud lol
ozfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by ozfox »

Whats new in this great land i havent been out for 5 or 6 weeks crops are to high grass to long conola will be getting windrowed soon i will be cartting the cooper around in the ute foxs love the windrows chasing rats and mice
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I've been out a couple times in the last month and yep - those crops are too high. The last night out we saw half a dozen foxes in the first half hour. All were on the run, and didn't even think about stopping. Looking forward to the crops coming off. Might do a few all nighters.
I'll bet the Cooper will put a smile on your face once you get out (or even if you don't - it's probably sitting on the dining table isn't it ;) )
ozfox

Post by ozfox »

A few I've shot
Was dead to the world sleeping on a dam bank, now just dead.

Uploaded with Ima[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19 ... 2208c.jpg/]Image
Me little foxy finds them everytime.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
A good mornings stroll.

Last feed.

Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Ozfox - Looks to be some nice colour in those pelts. More red than I've seen for a while.
Ya don't always get big numbers, but every dead one makes a difference.
Young dumb pups out soon :D
Keep at 'em
ozfox

Post by ozfox »

did you get the one with the sheep
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

ozfox wrote:did you get the one with the sheep
Yep. Looks like ya caught him - red handed :wink:
A local sheep farmer told me he's seen foxes grabbing lambs that haven't even hit the ground yet. I don't think they intend helping the birthing process by pulling them out. Cheeky buggers.