Finally blooded my 204, but thinking about a change anyway

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
KiwiMonkey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP

Finally blooded my 204, but thinking about a change anyway

Post by KiwiMonkey »

After a bit of hassle getting it shooting (Burris Z rings for uneven base heights and gunsmith cut off the dodgy off-centre threading and recrowned) my Savage 12-VLP is grouping around 0.5" like it should be, so I finally got to use it!

Shot up a few wild goats that were causing some damage out the back of a friends farm, good fun and a bit of free meat for the freezer :)

The 32gr rounds didn't seem to hit that hard on the goats over 200m, so I'll probably switch to the 40 or 45 if I keep it. But my hunting tends to involve walking up and down hills and taking off-hand shots rather than parking up in one spot for a long time, so I'll probably sell it on (happier to do that now that its working) and buy something lighter in a similar calibre. Savage American Classic looks rather nice and prices are sharp on those at the moment... ;)
Savage 12-VLP .204
Savage MkIIF(B)SS .22LR
Ruger Hawkeye .308
ozfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Finally blooded my 204, but thinking about a change anyw

Post by ozfox »

Hi kiwi
i have some goats to cull on a mates farm was going to use 40,s did you chest or head shoot yours
cheers ozfox
KiwiMonkey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP

Post by KiwiMonkey »

Those were chest shots, wasn't confident going for headshots on the longer ones as it doesn't take much breeze to push a bit offline and give a nasty wound while missing the brain. Chest shot at 80m was pretty instant kill even with the 32gr but I didn't have anything else below 200+ to know exactly where the effectiveness started to fall off. The 40 or 45 should be more effective on longer shots though, especially the 45 being soft point rather than ballistic tip should penetrate better.
Savage 12-VLP .204
Savage MkIIF(B)SS .22LR
Ruger Hawkeye .308
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

The 40gr Bergers are HP's. Have you tried them to see if they will shoot for you? Might be worth the time.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen