Barrel Break-in

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Barrel Break-in

Post by Pmoper »

Hi again....Been a bit busy with the "new girl"...Just wanted to post this....After I got my CZ 527 Varmint kevlar in .204; I contacted CZ's Gunsmith and asked about Barrel break-in....He told me to shoot it and clean it as normal...said the barrels are all hand lapped at the factory and don't need any special procedure for Breaking them in.....this from the horses mouth so-to speak........photos are coming....she is a bit bashful yet....
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Barrel Break-in

Post by Bill K »

That is basically the same thing Bullberry and Howa told me on the last two barrels (Bullberry in 20VT for the Contender) and the Howa in 204 Ruger. Those barrels do seem to be really smooth and they sent a bottle of Essox, a synthetic cleaner/barrel conditioner which cleans, then leaves a film that when dry, seems to act along the lines of a moly bullet would. I have noticed that the barrels clean up very fast, seem to shoot better and very little, if any, copper wash. I do not sell or get paid by Essox, but i sure like the product, I now clean and care for all my weapons with it. Bill K
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Bill K wrote:That is basically the same thing Bullberry and Howa told me on the last two barrels (Bullberry in 20VT for the Contender) and the Howa in 204 Ruger. Those barrels do seem to be really smooth and they sent a bottle of Essox, a synthetic cleaner/barrel conditioner which cleans, then leaves a film that when dry, seems to act along the lines of a moly bullet would. I have noticed that the barrels clean up very fast, seem to shoot better and very little, if any, copper wash. I do not sell or get paid by Essox, but i sure like the product, I now clean and care for all my weapons with it. Bill K
Thanks for the info Bill....Have also been told that after you clean well to use Lock-eeze...its a graphite colloidal solution you apply and let it dry....does basically the same thing....can find it at Napa....
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I have a friend that uses that product and like it very well.. What ever floats our boats and works for each of us, is just fine. Part of our sport is the interesting products and toys we enjoy.. Enjoy your new toy.. Bill K
Zeus
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Pro hunter and Remington SPS

Post by Zeus »

I gave the whole barrel break in thing a shot. It didn't seem like it was worth the time and effort. I figured that just following a normal shoot and clean schedule will do what breaking in the barrel will accomplish without the wasted ammo.

Here's an interesting read on it..... http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

[quote="Zeus"]I gave the whole barrel break in thing a shot. It didn't seem like it was worth the time and effort.

Aint that what I said in an earlier post. I'd rather spend time finding a good shootin load than cleaning a barrel when it don't really need it. It's like passin gas then pullin down yer britches.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin