Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
KiwiMonkey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by KiwiMonkey »

Hi folks, from deep southern New Zealand and just picked up a bargain second hand Savage 12-VLP in .204 with Bushnell 3200 5-15x40 and suppressor, heavy sod to carry but looking forward to sniping some long-range rabbits. Seems to be some good knowledge on this forum :)

Also have a Savage MkII-FSS .22 with a boyds stock on it, a Savage 93G .22WMR and a Ruger Hawkeye .308.
Last edited by KiwiMonkey on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Savage 12-VLP .204
Savage MkIIF(B)SS .22LR
Ruger Hawkeye .308
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

G'day Kiwi. She's a beauty. Casts an ominous shadow too.
Let us know how she shoots and post some pics of your targets/critters.
KiwiMonkey

Post by KiwiMonkey »

Thanks mate - have only put a couple of test rounds through so far, have to get out and sight it in soon.

Action and trigger feel sweet as anything and the suppressor cuts noise to below 22magnum levels, will be interesting to see how it groups.
Savage 12-VLP .204
Savage MkIIF(B)SS .22LR
Ruger Hawkeye .308
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

KiwiMonkey wrote:....suppressor cuts noise to below 22magnum levels...
Nice. Strange, how Australia and New Zealand are "offspring" of The UK, where suppressors are (not sure on this) mandatory? - certainly very popular anyway.
Yet in Oz we'd just about get arrested for talking about them (I'm now writing this from the local lock-up :lol: )
Apparently only criminals need suppressors here. The rest of us don't need to look after our hearing or keep the noise down so as not to disturb the neighbours and increase chances of pests hanging around long enough to get rid of a few more.

Well, I hope that little blah changes the world :D

Will you be reloading? Be careful if you do - we might help you "need" a whole heap of stuff you never new existed :D
KiwiMonkey

Post by KiwiMonkey »

Are you not allowed suppressors over there? That sucks, no issue with them in NZ - I can spit louder than my suppressed 22LR firing subsonics!

Never done any reloading but may get into it at some stage to reduce ammo costs.
Savage 12-VLP .204
Savage MkIIF(B)SS .22LR
Ruger Hawkeye .308
KiwiMonkey

Post by KiwiMonkey »

Took it out for a test shot tonight and not very happy so far, 2-3" groups @ 100m are not what I was expecting.

Time to take stock off, check action screw tension, make sure scope mounts are tight... anything else to check?
Savage 12-VLP .204
Savage MkIIF(B)SS .22LR
Ruger Hawkeye .308
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

KiwiMonkey wrote:... anything else to check?
How steady is your bench/bipod/blanket etc?
I was resting on a couple of eskies before I built myself a bench - pretty wobbly
KiwiMonkey

Post by KiwiMonkey »

Bipod or backpack for a rest on the ground so not great, but my rimfires shoot better groups than that from the same position. (ie sub-inch at 100m from the 22wmr). Action screws seemed ok, tightened rear ring on scope though. Gave it a good clean and more black crap came out than I was expecting so maybe it wasn't cleaned that well previously. Guess I'll see if its any different next time.
Savage 12-VLP .204
Savage MkIIF(B)SS .22LR
Ruger Hawkeye .308
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

hi all name barry 49 live in east gippsland vic australia ,this is my first post so its a good place too start , this site is awesome and the info from the member is first rate ive spent a lot of time here reading and learning , i do all aspects of shooting and reloading from busting clays to chasing sambar deer but have a soft spot for busting foxes and have found the 204 to be the most fun , rifle in 204 is a tikka varmit topped with a Bushnell tactical elite 6-24-50 love my tikka,s like i said thanks too this site i was shooting sub moa groups from day one , here is a photo of a fox i busted after a day ferreting rabbits we baited a rabbit hole and returned that evening ,cheers bazz Image
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Welcome aboard Bazz.
Always good to hear from some fellows Aussies.
Nice part of the world where you live (from what I've heard). Must get over there one day.
Big game section of the forum would be a good spot to post some pics of your Sambar hunts!
Scooter700
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper

Post by Scooter700 »

Well I have been lurking and reading here for the past 6 months or so and thought I would introduce myself. I am originally from Michigan then moved to Florida for about 31/2 years and now reside in the beautiful state of Montana. Been out of the hunting scene for about the last 10 years but that has all changed now! I have slowly been restocking the gun safe with all the caliber rifles that I think I need and then got introduced to these little gophers. Next thing I know I am on the hunt for a good varmint round and someone suggest a .204 so I start a little research and come across this web site. There has been tons of knowledge picked up here and I am sure there will be more to come.

Tony
Seventy 1
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Seventy 1 »

Great site with awesome info.

I'm 40 and from Atlantic Canada but now reside on the prairies in the West. Flew as a pilot for 7 yrs and that is how i ended up relocated out west.

Spend my time now as a satellite operator, monitoring and manoeuvring GEO satellites.

Crazy about shooting and have been since cadet days in the mid 80's. Shoot pistols for some IPSC but my heart belongs to
long range bolt guns!

I shoot an HS .308, Win M70 in 7WSM and a CZ 452 in .22LR.

Great site, thanks. Murray
Bangflop
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ target varmint

Post by Bangflop »

New to this very informative site and thoroughly enjoying developing a load for my new CZ Varmint/Target 204. Wow is all I can say about the consistant sub .5 moa groups from this new toy topped with a VX-III 4.5-14 LR side focus. Today I guess I am settled on 24.5g 10X, 39 SBK, Fed205M, Win brass trimmed to 1.843 and fully prepped. OAL 2.300. This produced one ragged hole that was sub .2 amazing. Look out PA woodchucks. Retired lifelong resident of NW PA. that enjoys hunting MT, IA, SD, and MN along with PA. I enjoy accurate sporting arms, shoot trap a little skeet and have a Chessie that owns my Wife and I. With the 204 I can now fill in the gap between trout fishing and archery elk in MT with gopher and prarie dogs! I retired last Aug.31 and went hunting/fishing out west for 2months and ten days and plan on a MT hunt again this year. Thanks for the great info and the praises for the 204...now I own one.
Manlixer
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target Action

Post by Manlixer »

Hi.I'm new one.I've builded up my baby-Crazy Varminter 204 Ruger.
Bolt action-SAVAGE TARGET ACTION(right bolt-left port),Barrel-CBI,bull barrel,1-11",26" long.Stock-Choate Ultimate Varmint+Harris 6-9"+Pod Lock.I did glass bedding.SSS oversize lug recoil.
Bench-Source Dovetail base,Kelbly Dovetail rings 30mm.Vortex Viper PST 6-24+Vortex bubble level 30mm.
Oh,sorry,when I tell about my BABY i forget anything.I'm Den
.Here you are.
Boisblancboy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VS SF II

Post by Boisblancboy »

Hey everyone! Glad to be a part of the .204 community. I'm from the U.P. of Michigan. I just recently picked up a Remington 700 VS SF II about a couple months ago and have currently worked up a load with 35gr bergers, 28.3 grs of H4895 that shoots at 3900 and produces no worse than a .360 group at 100 yards. I have been shooting most of my life but got into reloading with my father and now I can't help but tinker all the time. Since I got my .204 I haven't been able to put it down. It has been the most enjoyable gun I have ever shot. Hope to interact with all of you a lot and gain tons of knowledge and share my experiences.

Brandon
.204 Remington 700 VS SF II