My walking varminter rig

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Freeman
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa M1500 22" sporter barrel

My walking varminter rig

Post by Freeman »

Have been reading the forum for a while now while and have recently bought a Howa 1500 sporter in Stainless Steel. Just wanted to share some of my experience with any newbs that care to read.

The biggest point I want to make is that the 40gr V-max and 45gr SP Hornadys will infact stabilize in a 1:12 twist. Which I will give you some results for later.

My purpose was to have a 'Walking Varminter' as my quarry would largely be rabbit and red fox, both of which are plentiful in Aus. but I also wanted to take it to the range every now and again.

this week I pimped it up with a boyd's thumbhole, Sightron SII 3-12x42AO and a bipod & strap. Photo's below.

I have only shot factory ammo so far with poor results from the Winchester HP and Winchester supreme (won't shoot less that 2") ok results from the federal 39 grain BK and Remingtion 32gr accupoint (just over an inch to 1.5")

Best results came from the 40gr V-max and 45gr SPs from Hornady with the 40's shooting at 0.8" and the 45's shooting at around 0.65" which was actually pretty good given the gun was fitted with a bushnell banner at this point and it was my first time shooting at 100 yards (it's my first centrefire rifle)

It is noticably louder than my brothers .223 which also has a 22" barrel and noticably quieter than another brothers 22-250. with the sporter barrel there is enough recoil that you lose the target after the shot which was a dissapointment, but then the gun is not uncomfortably heavy to carry around.

So far I have taken a few bunnies with it. best shot was taken at about 160 yards while resting against a tree. Now to get my new rig it's first fox!
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Re: My walking varminter rig

Post by inKYfromSD »

Nice looking rig! I've been a fan of stainless / gray for a long time. Keep us posted on how it shoots for you.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

That is a very nice rig Freeman!!!!!! :wink:

I've been shooting a Rem700ADL for a few years now on groundhogs here in Ohio. At 1st the loss of the target in the scope was disappointing for me as well. But then I started playing with the magnification. I don't need 12,14 or 18x for most of my shots so I just dialed it back down. I raraely take a shot above 8 around here now. After 150yds or so I can still see my hits now. The SII will allow you to crank back to 3-5 & see a lot of shots that you are missing. Just my thoughts.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Nice rig.I would love a stock like that on my LRPV,but Boyd dosen't make one for that action.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

i agree, stainless and grey laminate is a great combination. Nice looking rifle!
magnum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by magnum »

Freeman you can say it dose look nice (never mind mine will be here in a few weeks ) i.v order the brown 1 i think it,s nutmeg ? my mate has the pepper 1 on his howa IAN
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Very nice rig mate. And welcome fellow Aussie.
That first fox will get your heart beating. Hope it happens soon - mating season not far off.
I'm hanging out for my first cat euthanasia :lol:
But after yesterday's hunt (see other post soon) I'm satisfied :eek: for now.
You might have luck seeing your shots with lighter projectiles, and a lighter trigger pull, and of course plenty of trigger time. I shot plenty and saw none for quite a while (and still don't sometimes), so forgot about it. But one day with a 32Nos I saw the hit and allowed myself a little grin.
Freeman
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa M1500 22" sporter barrel

Post by Freeman »

Hey, Thanks to all,

I am proud of the rifle even though it isn't a big dollar outfit. The .204 it is great cartridge IMO. similar recoil to a .223 with a bit more exciting performance.

Just got word there are some small pigs getting around the family property. They're gonners!
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Make sure you take some pics - we love pics.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

You have every reason to be proud of your rig!! It's a nice looking stick & will get the job done for you. Can't wait to see it laying next to some "good" critters!!!!!!!!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

That's the great thing about rifles, they don't have to be a high dollar outfit to punch small holes, or obliderate the exact same thing someone spent alot more on to do the exact same thing.

I agree, the gray / stainless, or the brown / stainless has a sharp look to it. I built my 338 Win Mag on a Howa 1500 action. It has accounted for alot of animals and has never failed to operate as intended.

I hope you get your fox and many more soon, DO NOT forget to take your camera with you when you do.