Bought my First Cooper!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
vanhammer
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Model 21 MVT and CZ 527

Bought my First Cooper!

Post by vanhammer »

I bought a Cooper Model 21 Montana Varminter in 204. Mounted scope and sighted it in at 50 yards yesterday. Took 3 shots to get it shooting in the 10 ring. Put 5 shots in one ragged hole. Very impressed with gun finish and trigger. It is by far the best factory trigger I have had the pleasure to use. I also have a CZ 527 Varmint in 204 , BRNO CZFox in 22 hornet and a CZ 453 Premium in 17 HMR. All 4 guns have Elite 4200 6x24x40 glass. Love the .204 for yotes and longer range ground squirrels. Hornet and 17HMR get used on anything under 200 yrds.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Bought my First Cooper!

Post by Bill K »

You will truely enjoy that one.. Have mucho fun. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

vanhammer wrote:I bought a Cooper Model 21 Montana Varminter in 204. Mounted scope and sighted it in at 50 yards yesterday.
vanhammer: Congrats on the new rifle, and welcome to the forum, but as you're now here, you are subject to all the same privledges as the other members........as well as our collective abuse to newbies:

Nuthin' personal, just our way of welcoming you aboard, and letting you know how much we like pictures. :wink:

Seriously though, welcome aboard, and be sure to post some pics of that new Cooper when you get a chance. Sounds like she's shootin' as advertised right out of the box.....mine did too. I'm certain your local varmints will NOT approve. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

vanhammer

Post by vanhammer »

Rick in Oregon: Did you follow the suggested barrel break in of cleaning after every round for the 1st 50 rounds on your cooper.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

vanhammer wrote:Rick in Oregon: Did you follow the suggested barrel break in of cleaning after every round for the 1st 50 rounds on your cooper.
Yes sir, I did. I actually subscribe to the Sinclair method of barrel break-in, not much different from Cooper's proceedure, Pac-Nor's, or any of the other primary barrel makers on every new barrel.

Other opinions will vary, but I've been doing it that way too long to change something that actually works. Here's a Cooper target shot after cleaning in the field to confirm elevation and zero (Cooper M21 VR 223 Rem):

Cooper now owns and of course uses Wilson SS barrels on their rifles. They shoot right along with any of my other premium barrels if properly broken-in. (Don't know the effects of NOT breaking-in.....never been there).
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

vanhammer

Post by vanhammer »

thanks for the info.
22 HORNET
.204 Ruger Guns: none