new to forum, new to the 204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
ddwaite
.204 Ruger Guns: none1

new to forum, new to the 204

Post by ddwaite »

Hey you all. Stumbled across this website. Awesome!
Need help! Buying my first 204 to go pd shooting. Debating between savage model 12 fcv and savage 10/110 pred. hunter max 1.
My question, one has 26" barrel the other 24". Pros/cons? Both look good to me. (hunter max 1 also has fluted barrel)
Also, I will be using factory ammo. Suggestions?
I knew this would be the right place for info. Help!!!! Thanks!
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: new to forum, new to the 204

Post by Clint E »

Welcome to the forum . They are both good rifles. I dont own either model in a 204 but i am sure both will work just fine.
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

My .204 started out as a plain Jane Savage FV12. I killed a lot of vermin with it in its stock form. I would go with either model you listed. Rick in Oregon likes the 24" barrel. Maybe he'll chime in why. Both my barrels on my Savage have been 26". They both shoot just great. I like the look of the camo but it's not my money your spending so go with either one, put the best optics you can afford on it and go have fun! Welcome aboard!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Don't own a Savage, but very much prefer a 24" barrel on a varmint rifle. They just handle much better (to me), don't give up enough velocity to fret about, no varmint will ever know the difference.

Not scientific fact, but my Cooper MTV 204 actually shot 'faster' after the barrel was cut from 26" to my preferred 24". The reduced length certainly did not affect the accuracy either:

After cutting back to 24", it now handles much better, even on the bench, and carries MUCH better with bipod in the field during walkabouts. JMO, yours may vary.

Welcome to the forum, and know that either 204 will put a smile on your face. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bkhartman
.204 Ruger Guns: none yet

Post by bkhartman »

ddwaite wrote:Hey you all. Stumbled across this website. Awesome!
Need help! Buying my first 204 to go pd shooting. Debating between savage model 12 fcv and savage 10/110 pred. hunter max 1.
My question, one has 26" barrel the other 24". Pros/cons? Both look good to me. (hunter max 1 also has fluted barrel)
Also, I will be using factory ammo. Suggestions?
I knew this would be the right place for info. Help!!!! Thanks!

Just set up a new FCV 12 w/26" barrel. Sub MOA with 40 gr Hornady VMax. Got lucky with the 12 twist, it does well with the 40's . Hard decision I know Good luck, Brian
ddwaite
.204 Ruger Guns: none1

Post by ddwaite »

Thanks, that is the type of info that I am looking for! Especially how the 1:12 handled the 40 gr.

Also need pros/cons of fluted barrel when pd shooting with the .204. worth paying extra?
Castlerockscott
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 10 predator

Post by Castlerockscott »

Noob here also! I have a mod 10 predator in brush, and it shoots bug holes with Federal 39SBK's. I also have mild success with the 45gr. Hornady factory. Hornady 45's will group about 1.5" at 200yds. Not great, but it'll put a yote down no prob. Those 39SBK's are pure magic in this gun though! I have never experienced enough heat in my barrel to warrant paying extra for a fluted, but they do look good!
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

There was a guy who kept cutting one inch off of a 204 barrel and shot it for groups. The 23 inch barrel was the optimal barrel length in his trials. I have 2 Savage rifles in 204 and both shoot very well right out of the box. You will be happy with either one. The model 10 would be a good coyote gun for sure.
Please, no Sidewinder today!