mods

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
magnum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

mods

Post by magnum »

over here in the UK sound modertor are used on a lot of our rifles just thinking is it the same for you lot out there all my rifles have them fitted to them ?? :chin:
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Re: mods

Post by Ol` Joe »

Legality depends on the area one is in. That, and the hoops one has to jump through where they are allowed makes them fairly rare.
Here In Michigan they have just recently become legal, and I`ve yet to see one outside of photos.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Maybe I am off on what you mean, but if it a suppressor, they are legal in many of our states, with proper paperwork from the Government. Sad to say, however, my state-California is one that is way behind the times and will not allow. Just think of the sound pollution and hearing loss they can save.. But again California toots cutting pollutions, but will not allow suppressors. The old gumshoe idea that only hit men use them.. The movie/gangster mentallity. Bill K
magnum

Post by magnum »

it,s strange to see a rifle over here (uk) without 1 was looking at ruger forum and not see a lot on there is why i asked IAN yes suppressor / on our gun certificate we have to state sound moderatro over here in the uk
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Over here in the states, suppressors are a pretty rare sight in most places. In fact, I believe that some states even have restrictions about hunting with them? It's one of the few areas where America is actually lacking behind European countries with regard to firearms regulations. It seems that we are slowly coming around, though. My state finally passed a law allowing residents to buy suppressors last year.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Agreed that the U.S. is woefully behind in this legislation compared to the UK....sometimes common sense doesn't prevail.

Some of us use supressors during rat shoots to lull the little buggers into a sense of well-being. ;) They can't tell where the noise is coming from, and most times don't even flinch at the sound of the shot.

The bummer is paying the dang govm't $200 for the privledge, plus the cost of the can; spendy. No matter though, the squirrels we shoot are so stupid they just don't seem to care anyway, and I don't have to spend extra money to be quiet. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

magnum

Post by magnum »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Agreed that the U.S. is woefully behind in this legislation compared to the UK....sometimes common sense doesn't prevail.

Some of us use supressors during rat shoots to lull the little buggers into a sense of well-being. ;) They can't tell where the noise is coming from, and most times don't even flinch at the sound of the shot.

The bummer is paying the dang govm't $200 for the privledge, plus the cost of the can; spendy. No matter though, the squirrels we shoot are so stupid they just don't seem to care anyway, and I don't have to spend extra money to be quiet. :wink:
are you taking the mick you have to pay $200 to the government just to have 1 :wall:
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

magnum --Yes, you have to pay a one-time $200 tax for each and every silencer you want to buy. You can switch it from rifle to rifle though. I have one on the way. I ordered it the first part of January and I don't expect to get the proper permission to own it and receive the silencer until the middle of August. The silencer is sitting at my dealership here in town, so I can go to the store and visit it once in awhile if I get lonely for it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

In some states you cannot own a silencer. In some states you can own one, but cannot shoot any kind of animals or birds. In some states you can own a silencer and use it on any legal game animal. North Dakota is in the last category--thank goodness. :D
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
RedLeg
.204 Ruger Guns: Varmint 18"

Post by RedLeg »

If I am not mistaken, the $200 goes the the BATFE, or more commonly known as the ATF.
1st ID Big Red One
ImageImage
OBXMan
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 LRPV

Post by OBXMan »

Unless your shooting something like a .300 Whisper or other subsonic round it is not worth the cost or trouble IMO.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

RedLeg wrote:If I am not mistaken, the $200 goes the the BATFE, or more commonly known as the ATF.
You are correct there, probably Holder will use the money for more "Fast and Furious"programs. His last run at it, had a somewhat fail rate, maybe he can do better next time.. :doh:
RedLeg
.204 Ruger Guns: Varmint 18"

Post by RedLeg »

You are correct there, probably Holder will use the money for more "Fast and Furious"programs. His last run at it, had a somewhat fail rate, maybe he can do better next time.. :doh:

Thanks, Bill K. If I had my choice, Holder would not have any "official" capacity... :mad: :D
1st ID Big Red One
ImageImage
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

In some states you cannot own a silencer. In some states you can own one, but cannot shoot any kind of animals or birds. In some states you can own a silencer and use it on any legal game animal. North Dakota is in the last category
is there a chart or map that shows all the states this ? i can go to the state field and wildlife department to get the info for this state or go to the other states field and wildlife for their map but is there one map with all the who alows what on it ?
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

204cat wrote:
In some states you cannot own a silencer. In some states you can own one, but cannot shoot any kind of animals or birds. In some states you can own a silencer and use it on any legal game animal. North Dakota is in the last category
is there a chart or map that shows all the states this ? i can go to the state field and wildlife department to get the info for this state or go to the other states field and wildlife for their map but is there one map with all the who alows what on it ?
Go to the Gem-Tech.com site and they list the states that, at present, allow suppressors. BIll K :)
HoundofSC
.204 Ruger Guns: Stevens based custom

Post by HoundofSC »

There is no state law regulating them in S Carolina, you just have to comply with the federal law. I thought about getting one, and they are cool looking on the right gun but they are not really my thing I would rather spend the money on another gun and wear my muffs