Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by bow shot »

My advice: get one, LOL! I was very happy with the Savage VLP and RRA AR15. My sons's Bushy does sub MOA in .223, I'm sure their .204 is excellent also.
roooster_11
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 .204

Post by roooster_11 »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:
roooster_11 wrote: just recently (about one year now) I've gotten into shooting.

Ruger #1 .204 (on it's way)
Marlin 336 .30-30
Rem 700 .243
Rem 700 .308
Sako A7 .25-06
Savage .17HMR
H&R .500S&W
Browning .22 Lever Action
T/C Hotshot .22LR (for my son)
and a bunch of shotguns and pistols too!
and the list continues to grow :roll:
:eek:

"gotten into" might be a little understated - that's an impressive list for one years buying.
Good on ya mate - enjoy.
Let us know how that Ruger goes when you get her

I wish that was only one year's worth on buying...then that would mean that I had alot of money, which I don't :x . This is from several years of buying....must of those guns are used for hunting. I have two sons that hunt with me so thats why I have a bunch. I just recently got into shooting at the range.
"If courage is a word that knows not fear, then I have never met a couragous man; a brave man is one that puts his fears aside, and does his job" Unknown
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

roooster_11 wrote:I just recently got into shooting at the range.
Makes a bit more sense :)
Not that buying that many so quick is a bad thing. Bet we all wish we had the money, and time, to collect that quick.
Nice list anyway Ross.
Show us some targets when you get around to testing that 204.
I'm in the process of making a range at home. Got a clear stretch of about 500yds up one fence. Making a bench and shade to keep me busy while it's too windy to shoot.
roooster_11
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 .204

Post by roooster_11 »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:
roooster_11 wrote:I just recently got into shooting at the range.
Makes a bit more sense :)
Not that buying that many so quick is a bad thing. Bet we all wish we had the money, and time, to collect that quick.
Nice list anyway Ross.
Show us some targets when you get around to testing that 204.
I'm in the process of making a range at home. Got a clear stretch of about 500yds up one fence. Making a bench and shade to keep me busy while it's too windy to shoot.

My wife's family has 300 arces that I can go shoot on, but we hunt that property, so I don't like to just go shoot on it, don't want all of the noise for the animals, but there are two good ranges close by that I go shoot at. As soon as I get the .204, I will definitely post some pics of target, but still waiting on the gun :mad:
"If courage is a word that knows not fear, then I have never met a couragous man; a brave man is one that puts his fears aside, and does his job" Unknown
magnum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by magnum »

NEW HERE JUST TO SAY HI all i,m a 46 year old male married with 3 kids (WELL NOT KIDS ANY MORE ) looking at get a ruger 204 seen this forum and it looks just whot i,m looking for i live over in North Wales in the UK i,v shoot and fished from a kid this is a new cal to me but read up on it so any info on rifles , reloading I should be looking at at get a rifle in the next few weeks IAN PS i shoot 17 hmr 22 lr and 243 loking to get 204 and 308
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Magnum: welcome to the forum.....you've come to the right place....great folks and good information!!!

We also love pics....so don't hesitate to share photos of your firearms, kills, dogs.....whatever!!

Best,

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
sharps45-120
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M .204 Ruger

Post by sharps45-120 »

I am 65+ years old, Married my high school sweetheart in 67. Have 2 daughters & 5 grandkids. Born in North Carolina, Raised in California, Moved to Alaska in 69, Now we Live 1 mile outside Sunriver, Oregon. Shot 1 year with a Hunter Class match rifle group, I shot a Rem.40x in 308 with a 8x Weaver scope & super thin crosshairs. I love Target shooting, Hunting - Varmints & all. Fishing & Camping. Have reloaded since 1969 when I was introduced to it in Fairbanks, Alaska. I am an accuracy nut, & like punching as small a hole as possible. I like knowing I hit what I am aiming at. I have made gunstocks from scratch, Checkered several, & I am geting ready to carve out a thumbhole laminated stock to fit my Kimber 84M in 204 Ruger. Just starting on working up loads for the 204 Ruger. I have shot Deer with a 222 Rem., 270 win., 300 Win mag {& .22 lr in my young & stupid years] , 1 Bison with a 17 Remington centerfire, Hundreds of Sage Rats, Prairie Dogs, Many dozens of Rock Chucks, A Magpie that was horassing a Redtail Hawk that was eating a squirrel I shot. The Magpie lost its head at 175 paces to a 25gr - 17 Remington handload. The Redtail hawk jumped back 5 feet & then soared away. He came back later to enjoy the feast he did not have to work for.
magnum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by magnum »

Vartarg wrote:Magnum: welcome to the forum.....you've come to the right place....great folks and good information!!!

We also love pics....so don't hesitate to share photos of your firearms, kills, dogs.....whatever!!

Best,

George
thanks for the welcome George :) just had a look at a ruger#1 nice gun but can,t make my mide up about the single shoot !!!!any one got 1 and whot do you think of them :?: Ian
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

sharps45-120 wrote:Married my high school sweetheart............... I have made gunstocks from scratch, Checkered several, & I am geting ready to carve out a thumbhole laminated stock to fit my Kimber 84M in 204 Ruger. ..
Always nice to hear when people get it right the first time. Congratulations to you and your sweetheart.
I reckon we might need to see a few pics of your stocks - we love pics here.
Welcome aboard Sharps.
fishnbob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C venture predator

Post by fishnbob »

Hello new to the forum. I live in Michigan and like to shoot paper and small critters. I am 38 and grew up hunting and fishing. I am married and will be celebrating 20 yrs this year. Not been able to have kids but have a dog that is like one to us.
I just started reloading santa brought me some stuff. I also just picked up a venture predator 204. Love it! Only problem is my wife has been eyeballing the prairie dog vids on youtube and now she wants a 204 to go west. I guess thats not a problem gives me an excuse to look at more guns.
She was really liking the savage btcss but cant seem to find one any where and all my local dealers have not been able to order them. Whats the deal with that?
Then she started looking at cooper but on gun broker they are gone before I even bid. A semi local dealer had one but it was also gone before we got a chance to look at it. I am now watching a t/c icon ph on gun broker and there dont seem to be many of them around either. Just have to wait I guess. I hate waiting!!
Any recomendations for a good outfit to hunt prairie dogs with. We have never been west so figured it would be a good excuse to head that way. Thinking maybe Montana or Wyoming sometime in June.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

"...only problem is my wife has been eyeballing the prairie dog vids on youtube and now she wants a 204 to go west..."

Welcome.. and never let that jewell go, LOL!! :D
Kendall
.204 Ruger Guns: ?

Post by Kendall »

New guy here,Been reading the post here for awhile now really impressed with all the info that can be had on here.Wanting to get a .204 but still on the fence.I'll mostly be using it for ground hogs,crows and hopefully a praire dog hunt.So many good guns out there.Right now i'm leaning towards the Savage or the Howa. I built a Ultimate 10/22 last year and it is unbelievable,wish i could shoot as well as it does,that was a fun project. Glenn you'll have to bring your 204 down to the bottom's some time and let me check it out.
superjimjim
.204 Ruger Guns: remington sps700

Post by superjimjim »

Hi I'm James from limerick Ireland. New to the site. I found it very useful when I changed from my .22 to 204. I was initially going to get a .17hmr but went for the 204 instead. I bought a remington 700 sps and a bushnell elite 4200 scope. I fitted a PES moderator to it. I zeroed the rifle with Hornady 40gr Vmax rounds. Tonight was the first night i got out with the lamp and shoot a bunny. Some difference from the .22lr. No messing with this round. Hopefully the weather stays dry for the spring so I can get out more often at night. I also have a side by side and semi auto shotgun for the crows and pheasants. Thanks again for all the useful imformation.
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Diddley dee Jimbo. Welcome aboard.
I was in the same boat - had a 17hmr recomended to me but went with the 204. Glad I did that. I'm sure you will be too.
Stick around, you'll learn heaps, I have.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Hey there everyone,

I have a Howa 1500 24" barreled action waiting for 10 days while I "cool off." Live in northern California and plan on heading to Cedarville this year to shoot ground squirrels. Looking forward to reloading the .204 and getting good and accurate. Completing my squirrel arsenal is a Savage .17hmr and Stag Arms AR15 .223 24" barrel. Hope to take a PD trip too this year. I'm kinda bummed about the overcommercialization of varmints. Seems like soon there will be no free shooting anymore.

Vartarg - nice avatar ...we have always had shorthairs, they are the best!
K = ½mv2