204 Ackley?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

204 Ackley?

Post by jrwoitalla »

Does the 204 cartridge lend itself to being Ackley improved? I've never heard of anybody doing it, and wonder if they did- would it provide much improvement in terms of either velocity and/or accuracy?
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Re: 204 Ackley?

Post by boomer84 »

I have had dreams of a 20-06! Don't really know why but it does have a ring to it!
Schrutester
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Schrutester »

I asked the same question a while ago. Do a search for 204 Ackley and it should come up.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

there is someone that has ever thing he shoots, AI'd.I doubt there would be much improvemet since the 204 already has a 30deg shoulder.The 40deg shoulder could cause feeding problems from magazine guns.A 20BR would be a better choice IMHO.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

As much as I personally have liked and own a couple of AI rifles. I do not believe the slight increase in the shoulder angle would make any difference, in regard to the 204 Ruger. Case life and velocity would gain so very little, do not believe the extra cost of dies, chambering, etc. would prove cost effective. At least that is my humble opinion. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

You're right Bill....this has been discussed ad nauseum. The 204R is at it's best "as-is", and not much gain could/would be realized by "Acklying" the case. With minimum body taper, 30* shoulder, it feeds well and has more than enough powder space to be called slightly "overbore" the way it is now. "Improving" it would only add needless potential feeding problems and die costs to realize a possible tiny gain in velocity.

This is one cartridge that the designers "got right" the first time around IMHO. Thank you Dave Emary, you did us good!!! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

Thanks for all the replies. You basically said what I suspected, although I thought the issue would be in loosing neck length in changing the shoulder angle.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin