My awesome new stock blew apart my groups...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: My awesome new stock blew apart my groups...

Post by Jim White »

I have a Hogue over-mold w/full aluminum block. It shot OK but after bedding it it shot better and more consistent; nickel/dime shot groups @ 200 yards.
Windygap
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by Windygap »

I've thought about going that route too. So far my factory stock shot better than this stock, so unless I can get my groups back down to where they were by tinkering with torque, etc., then I'm thinking I should just bed the factory stock and sell this to recoup some money.
GaCop103
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 110 in 204

Post by GaCop103 »

In the long run, it wouldn't hurt to skim bed your action in the new stock. Also, is your tang still free floated with the new stock?

Tom
Windygap

Post by Windygap »

I tried sliding a piece of paper under the tang and it won't fit, so I guess I'll try a shim or two. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get one? I guess I can always try a piece of pop can. Thanks.
Windygap

Post by Windygap »

Alright, I got it straightened out. Thanks for all the help and input. I guess I would have saved money on that stock if I had just done more research and had been more open to try bedding the stock myself. I bedded the factory stock, free floated the tang, and finally got it to the range today. It took a little tweaking to the amount of torque on the screws, but after 4 groups in a row of the shots all touching, I'm happy. Since I'm doing this just laying on the ground using a bi-pod, there has to be some human error accounted in there too.

The stock I bought was an HS Precision. I think the stock is fine, nothing wrong with it, I just made the mistake of thinking it would be 100% drop in and not need some tweaking. If anyone is interested in buying one, it's the varmint model, tan with black, and custom length to 13". Considerably much less than retail. I figure if I'm getting those groups with the factory stock I don't need it and could use the money for something else.
Windygap

Post by Windygap »

A little fuzzy, but you get the idea.

[imgImage][/img]
GaCop103
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 110 in 204

Post by GaCop103 »

acloco wrote:I still bed the actions in any stock, regardless of what the stock is made out of.

Buddy of my had a Rem 308 in an HS stock, he was rather surprised that his action was still moving in his stock. Rather apparent when we removed the action and he could see the marks on his action and stock.
+1, bed the action.
WaltherP99

Post by WaltherP99 »

Glad to see ya got your factory stock worked out but I wouldn't give up on the HS stock yet.

I'm not sure of your tightening sequence but it states in the manual that the front screw gets tightened first followed by the rear. You mentioned alternating screws which is why I ask.

If you bedded the factory stock, why not take the time to do the HS?

and, as for the tang, IMHO...I wouldn't even worry about it being free floated. You probably wouldn't notice a difference either way!
moorepower
.204 Ruger Guns: LRPV

Post by moorepower »

The H&S needs a skim bed. Both of my LRPV were not 100% contact, and the .204 contacted the barrel channel.