Butler Creek scope cover for Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
sevensandeights
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Butler Creek scope cover for Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm

Post by sevensandeights »

A local sports store is changing locations and is having a big sale to get rid of inventory. I found some Butler Creek flip open scope covers but was hesitant to buy them due to the shape of the eyepiece cover. I have a Remington 700 VTR in .204 Ruger with a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm scope. It has a 30mm tube and varmint reticle.

Leupold specs the eyepiece to be 1.6" diameter but the Butler Creek cover is oval shaped and measures 1.66"x1.45". This is the cover that the Butler Creek reference book in the store calls for (#15eye, Butler Creek PN: 20150).

It is a pain to take my gun to this store to measure exactly . . . . does anyone have this scope and a Butler Creek cover?

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Butler Creek scope cover for Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Not sure about p/n's, but I've got a bunch of those covers on that exact scope, and none of them came with the oval shape. Something's amiss here, misprint on the spec or packaging, but that looks like it was designed for the old Redfield "Widefield" scopes from the 70's and early 80's.

If the hard cover portion is also oval as it appears, no way is it the proper flip cap for a Leupold scope ocular/eyepiece cover. Think square peg in a round hole.......sumthin' ain't right.

Late edit: I replaced most of my BC covers with Leupold alloy flip covers....much better/stronger than the BC covers.
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Never had any good luck with Butler Creeks caps. I keep bustin' them. Weak hinges. :mad:
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
sevensandeights
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by sevensandeights »

After an hour of cross referencing BC's website catolog and Leupold's website, it looks like I need a #13eye and #26objective.

I would love the Leupold covers but they are $80. The BC's will be $11 at the clearance sale. I have BC's on my deer rifle and have had no issues but it doesn't get fired nearly as much as the .204!
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Those Leupold "Alumna" flip covers are the stuff. Spend, IMO, but they do work.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The old BC caps had the diameter in mm inside the caps, but I see the new ones do not. I mic'd a couple, and it comes out to 39mm for the Leupold ocular cap if that helps.

Jim is right, the Alumina caps are spendy, but all aluminum, have rare earth magnets and o-rings to seal them very well, and are way above the BC caps in terms of both quality and performance....but you pay for these gains.

Here are a set on one of my Cooper Lupy's, a VX3 6.5-20X LR:

And of course the business end:

One thing I really like about the Lupy caps is that they both fold flat against the scope so as not to obscure your overview of the target area:

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails