Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
stef
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by stef »

I am Stef -- 72 yo guy -- retired technical -- background physics & math-- shot NRA hi power -- likes to take apart things and ask questions about how things work -- Viet Nam veteran

Likes varmint rifles and rather spend a day taking 20 shots at varmints than one at some big game animal -- I eat very little red meat

Like the .17 Rem but wish it had more authority. Like the .22-250 but unable to spot hits. Like the .220 Swift but it needs attention in bolt gun magazines. Like rifles that have high velocities. I use 6.5 rifles on distant targets.

Have learned (so far) about the free bore situation in factory .204 Ruger chambers and I plan to pay attention to items discussed in this forum before I finalize my .204 Ruger bullet launcher project.
flys low
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by flys low »

Hello I am from Mid Michigan and I am here doing some checking to make sure I want one. I am just lurking in the background listening. I am not really a hunter but I am enjoying ridding my home airport of 13 stripers (minnie P-Dog I guess) with my 10/22T and a BSA 6-18 shooting Velocitors. I have got 40+ this year and they are catching on so I need long range. I am sold, so I am just doing some learing now and I need to decide on optics. But other than lil critters it will be a paper gun as my girlfreind and I do that mainly.
boisdarc77
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by boisdarc77 »

Hi, I'm Jim. New to 204's... shot a buddy's last week and I don't think I can live without one. I'm a wildlife biologist, and a hunter. I'm 45, with twin boys and I've hunted since I was old enough to keep the muzzle out of the dirt. I mostly wingshoot. Quail and waterfowl, I let the kids do most of the deer hunting these days but I love shooting rifles... I've also reloaded for about 20 years now. I've got a couple of 22-250's and a 220 swift and never thought I needed anything else for long range predators and varmints, until last week. You 204 guys can even see the hits in close!!! I'll keep a 22-250 handy for feral hogs (we've got a problem here in Arkansas with those things) but I think for most of the other stuff... predators and varmints... a 204 will be sweet.

So, a couple years ago a good friend gave me my last 22-250... a Savage 12 VLP with a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20 BDC. Most of my other rifles have had some work of one sort or another from triggers to custom stocks and bedding jobs. This new one shot right out of the box and wants to be a one hole rifle real bad. I'll probably pull the trigger on one just like it in 204 this week.

I've learned a lot about 204's just checking out this site for the past few days, lots of great info on here and some knowledgable shooters. I'm sure I'll have questions.
TC204
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore

Post by TC204 »

Hi all! I was a member here some time ago but because it was an old email no longer used so I had to re register. I'm from taxachusetts and have a TC Encore, heavy barrel 204 with a IOR Tactical 2.5-10x42 on top. I use nothing but handloads and get nice tight little groups ;)
Brad
.204 Ruger Guns: TC encore/por hunter

Post by Brad »

Hi, im Brad im 42. I live near Newport WA. Growing up did alot of 22-250 shooting. So its been over 20 years without shooting anything but my old 22, witch ive shot lots of varmits with in my back field. But i wanted to get somthing a bit better. After talking to a gunsmith the 204 looked like a it was the way to go. So with my limeted knolage, and not doing my homework, I ran out and got a TC-Oncore/Prohunter with a 28" barrel. Put a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50mm on it. Well i did some homework, i was planning on getting other barrels for the rifle. But now im thinking not.
RoadKill
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem. 700VLS and 23" G2 barrel on older Contender

Post by RoadKill »

Hi Brad. Before you dump that Encore, go to www.bellmtcs.com and do a little more homework. Those things can be encouraged to shoot very well.
iancxx
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 204

Post by iancxx »

hiya every body,new boy here from the uk,do a lot of bunnie hunting,over here we hit em 12 months of the year,weather permitting of course,do a lot of shooting,of out with the ferret,s and shotgun,s this morning,dog having a day of,she is in season at the mo,i dont run a 204 at the mo,will have one after the turn of the year,so starting to read up, decide which variety to go for,will be loading my own,as i do for my ruger 22/77 in hornet flavour,love the hornet,running a cz 452 in .22 and ,17hmr flavour,s aswell,do most shooting at night,but planning a lot more daytime shooting this next year,would love a day or two on the ground hog,s,looks like a good day out,we just been taken over by an american co,called nov,national oilwell vargo,any body out there work for em,we can swap tales, :D ,well of to feed the fert,s and dog,get loaded up and hit the road,,have a read of a few more post,s ,have read a few and looks like i have landed in the right spot,cracking post.s,and good set of lad,s,on here,very helpfull,and after reading through the hunting section,fella,s after my own heart,just love being out with my toy,s,catch you all later,enjoy and shoot straight fella.sregard,s ian
wilarndt
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 cdl

Post by wilarndt »

hi everybody I'm 43 live in the Black Hills of South Dakota . I went out looking for a 22-250 and got talked in to this Remington 700 CDL in 204 and I really like it. I just started reloading in march I reload .204, 223 ,30-06 . I've be looking for info on this rifle but no luck or that Remington even made 700 CDL in a .204 Ruger. Well i got to load up to go to the range this morning it's a paid holiday for me to day so I'm going to get this rifle sighted in to 200 yards. 8)
phil in wyone
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps-varmint

Post by phil in wyone »

Hi there, im Andrew, 21 and a college student studying mechanical engineering. Phil is just an old nickname, anyway as the rest of the name suggests I spend most my time in Wyoming and Nebraska, working on the family farm and hunting prarie dogs and coyotes in Nebraska in the summer and studying in Wyoming the rest of the year. Ive been shooting since I was 10, reloading for two years, and have owned my own .204 for almost a year now. The rifle is a remington 700 sps-varmint and I like almost everything about it. Glad I found this forum, great wealth of .204 knowledge
A2K
.204 Ruger Guns: h&r ultra varmint

Post by A2K »

Hello everyone, I'm Austin, from the Wichita area of Kansas. Like a lot of others, I've been reading these forum pages before finally deciding to pony up as a member. I'm glad i stumbled onto this site. Many of you have already provided an abundance of great information. I hope my future contributions can be as helpful. I'm 32 yrs. old, engaged to a fabulous woman, and an avid outdoors man. I'm a finish/trim/remod carpenter by trade, and night watch at a local hotel for supplemental income. If it happens outdoors, I'm probably into it: hunting, fishing, camping, rock climbing, gardening, and tree house building to name a few. Between my father, brother, cousin, and myself, we shoot and reload a wide variety of calibers, but the .204 is my absolute favorite. I'll post more on my rifles, ammo recipes, and other endeavors in the appropriate forums as time allows...Thanks again, and good day to all.
Lead Lobber
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Target Barrel Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40

Post by Lead Lobber »

A2K, I too am in Wichita......Maize to be exact. I have two .204's, a heavy barrel M77 and a Rock River AR. If you need a shooting buddy, I can help you out.
A2K
.204 Ruger Guns: h&r ultra varmint

Post by A2K »

@ Lead Lobber- I keep a pretty busy schedule but maybe we can work something out after the holidays. How does that AR treat you? I'm debating on getting one of those myself. currently my .204 is an H & R Ultra varmint, and although it's a single shot, i love it to death. more on that later.
Rick_NWOH
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Model 21

Post by Rick_NWOH »

Hi, I'm Rick in northwest Ohio. Been lurking and learning here for a month or two. Sixty-one, been hunting on and off for over 50 yrs., mostly small game and an occasional chuck. Never reloaded but now is as good a time as ever to learn. Very impressed with this caliber and will probably get one to help rid the planet of 'yotes chucks and other little cute furry critters!
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

welcome! and yep, you'll love the 204 I'm sure of it. This is a great forum and lotsa good knowledge here............
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
rut-ro
.204 Ruger Guns: rem.700 sps .204 ruger

Post by rut-ro »

Rick Here from Sugar Land Texas, just got into the 204 last week and what a neat little round. Look foward to chating and sharing new and old experiances with everyone.