How hot is to hot

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
fishy
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

How hot is to hot

Post by fishy »

I got a few things I would like to do as far as load testing, but the first thing I have to do is re zero my scope. I put a new one on my 204 last night and would like to get it zeroed again before the next trip out to the dog town next weekend. The temps around here are in the 90's right now and I dont want to screw things up with my testing or with zeroing the scope. Right now I see 2 options. 1 would be to go out first thing in the morning when it is still somewhat cool, or 2 would be to wait till tomorrow night right before dark when it is starting to cool down for the evening. I plan on zeroing with my pet load, but would also like to get some testing done with a new load worked up to see if any compare to my pet load. What do you guys think my best option is?

Mark
Neil S.
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: How hot is to hot

Post by Neil S. »

The early morning is the better option IMO. It should be cool enough for a few hours and the wind is usually less in the morning than the evening. Also if you wait until the sun is going down to start shooting you could run out of light before your done testing. I've been there :lol:
fishy

Post by fishy »

ya I will be going in the morning. We just got back from eating supper and the thermometer in out vehicle said 94 and its almost 8:00. I figure I will need at least a couple hours to get everything done that I would like so the morning it is. wife might get a little pissy but I think i can live it :wink:
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

Carry your bullets in a cooler.

I worked up my full strength .204 load (RL-10X) in the dead of winter. When I shot it in hot weather, they clocked >200 fps faster than when I worked them up. I know the original load didn't have that much breathing room, pressure-wise, which means pressures probably were dangerously high in the heat. So I started carrying my bullets in a soft-side cooler with a bag of blue ice in hot weather. Even in a hot barrel, they shoot pretty close to the same PoI, so long as I don't let them sit in the chamber too long.
fishy

Post by fishy »

excellent advice Fred. I will remember that the next time I hit the dog town.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

I think the morning is better too. With cooler air, another benefit is a clearer sight picture (no mirage).

Fred makes a good point. No matter the powder (including Hodgdon's "EXTREME" line) always verify for safety in the worse conditions (heat).

Also, check on the elevation of where the round was sighted and where it will be used.

HTH,
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

Neil S. wrote:The early morning is the better option IMO. It should be cool enough for a few hours and the wind is usually less in the morning than the evening. Also if you wait until the sun is going down to start shooting you could run out of light before your done testing. I've been there :lol:
+1 been there done that (run out of light...not enough sun for chrony etc...) :mad:
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve