head space

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: head space

Post by Wrangler John »

sand rat wrote:Nice post and pictures.

Now if the Savage action and the Criterion barrel I ordered in Jan. of this year ever come.

I can reference to this.

Thank you

Sand Rat
Given that Criterion is a division of Kreiger that barrel should shoot well. Let us know how it does.

If you are using the Savage Precision Target Action with a three screw pillar bedded stock, setting the action screw torque is vital to good groups (I found that 35 front, 35, mid and 30 rear lbs.in. worked best on my actions). A good torque wrench or gauge is needed. I use plywood stocks (Rutland blanks) semi-finished from Sharp Shooter Supply and do a stress free bedding job, for the dual port action in the pictures above, I used a Savage factory stock and modified it (the target actions and dual port action have different hole spacing). The entire action tang is free floated, up to the rear action screw. Same for McMillan stocks or any synthetic.
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

I'm waiting on a 204 barrel, 26" blued, from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply in Minnesota. I ordered my gauges from Brownell's yesterday and should have the barrel in the next week or so. I'm rebarreling a Savage that is currently a 223 Rem on a long action with single shot follower. I converted my barrel vise to an action vise so barrel changes are a breeze. I've done 8 Savages in the last 5 years the latest being a 6.5X47 Lapua. I also have Savage actions barreled in 6mm Norma BR, 223 Ackley, 223 Rem, 7mm Rem mag and a 308 on a Czech Mauser action with a 24" Parker Hale heavy match barrel. The 204 build is replacing a 204 AR-15 that I got fed up with loosing prepped brass in the weeds. I traded the AR for an over/under 12 Ga and the Savage 7mm mag.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

GaCop wrote:I'm waiting on a 204 barrel, 26" blued, from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply in Minnesota. I ordered my gauges from Brownell's yesterday and should have the barrel in the next week or so. I'm rebarreling a Savage that is currently a 223 Rem on a long action with single shot follower. I converted my barrel vise to an action vise so barrel changes are a breeze. I've done 8 Savages in the last 5 years the latest being a 6.5X47 Lapua. I also have Savage actions barreled in 6mm Norma BR, 223 Ackley, 223 Rem, 7mm Rem mag and a 308 on a Czech Mauser action with a 24" Parker Hale heavy match barrel. The 204 build is replacing a 204 AR-15 that I got fed up with loosing prepped brass in the weeds. I traded the AR for an over/under 12 Ga and the Savage 7mm mag.
You got it! The Savage swap barrel disease, it's totally incurable. I need a tee shirt that says, "Stop Me Before I Buy Another Savage Action!" They should package them in bags like peanuts. :mrgreen:
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

sharptailhunter wrote:
harry wrote:Just a little more info! i will be reloading and i would like to touch the lands without the bullet falling out of the case. i will be useing hornady brass dont know witch manufacter of bullets that will be decided at the range. on what type of groups i can get. again thanks for any info.
A couple of points:
1. You could install the barrel yourself with the purchase of a set of Go No-Go gauges and a barrel nut wrench. Look on savageshooters.com for more info on that.
2. While some calibers do like to have the bullet touching the lands, the majority of people on this site say that their loads like a little free bore.
3. I would stay away from Hornady brass. There have been some recent posts about brass and most say Hornady brass is junk. I have some Remington brass that works very well, but it took some real prepping. I highly recommend Nosler brass. It's made by Norma and it comes sorted by weight and it is absolutely beautiful to load. All the prep work has been done already... It's great stuff.

My Savage seems to like the Sierra 39s but not the V-Max 40s. It shoots all the 32 gr bullets very well.
I gotta agree, Savage Shooter Forum is a great place to learn to rebarrel you own Savage rifle. To access the technical data, you have to be a paid member ($12/yr) but it's well worth it. I've done 8 rifles now either using a "GO" gauge or a piece of new brass if a gauge was not available (6.5 Lapua-on back order forever). Still waiting for the 204 barrel :(

Tom
stef
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by stef »

I have nothing but praise for McGowen -- first rate work and service.

I have not changed points for decades and never have swapped barrels using a barrel nut & gauges. The text & photos showing how this is done are exceptional -- good work.

As far as throat dimensions I like the round to fit into the magazine (if the rifle has a magazine), have the end of the case grip the bullet below the ogive and still be able to touch the rifling if I want to. If this does not happen I go for another bullet, caliber or action. I would guess the gunsmith cutting the chamber would consider these factors.

McGowen has rebarreled several of my Ruger MKII rifles and the headspace on these has been on the minimal side, enough so I know the difference when chambering reloaded rounds that will easily chamber in factory cut chambers. McGowen barrels do shoot!! Like one hole groups with .22-.250, 6.5-06, & .308 Win.

Is there any reason why a barrel nut could not be used on a Ruger MKII rifle?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Super demonstration and explaination. I thought about the same with my Rem700 and a Begara barrel, but they do not (that I can find out) have any in 204ruger. So will probably go with Pac-nor. It would be fun to do your own and you sure showed the way. I have also watched Begara's video on their website. Bill K
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

Bill K wrote:Super demonstration and explaination. I thought about the same with my Rem700 and a Begara barrel, but they do not (that I can find out) have any in 204ruger. So will probably go with Pac-nor. It would be fun to do your own and you sure showed the way. I have also watched Begara's video on their website. Bill K
Bill
Let us know how that works out for you. I have heard some very good things about Begaras and Pac-nors as well And don't forget pictures (before and after would be cool) LOL :D
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

btlbrn wrote:
Bill K wrote:Super demonstration and explaination. I thought about the same with my Rem700 and a Begara barrel, but they do not (that I can find out) have any in 204ruger. So will probably go with Pac-nor. It would be fun to do your own and you sure showed the way. I have also watched Begara's video on their website. Bill K
Bill
Let us know how that works out for you. I have heard some very good things about Begaras and Pac-nors as well And don't forget pictures (before and after would be cool) LOL :D
I am checking both out, have talked to Penny at Pac-nors, Begara has not answered my emails, yet. This will be a winter project. By the way, how are you doing with the old Handloaders? Interesting reading, some changes from old, but some not alot.. Like reading old articals. Bill K :D
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

Bill K wrote:
btlbrn wrote:
Bill
I am checking both out, have talked to Penny at Pac-nors, Begara has not answered my emails, yet. This will be a winter project. By the way, how are you doing with the old Handloaders? Interesting reading, some changes from old, but some not alot.. Like reading old articals. Bill K :D
Bill,
doing GREAT, THANX, great articles funny ads, super memories :D
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve