My 204 needs a friend...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
cduff406
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

My 204 needs a friend...

Post by cduff406 »

Hello all, long time lurker here. I'm mostly a bird hunter at heart, but in the past couple of years I've started to get into some varmint shooting as a way to enjoy the spring and summers a little more. What started with a basic 17HMR, progressed rapidly to a nicer 17HMR, and then last summer to a Savage in 204. Wow, that gun is a lot of fun! Mostly shooting gophers and the occasional prairie dog here in Montana. Starting to get the itch to take a weekend PD shooting trip somewhere just for kicks.

Anyway, I'm getting the urge to add to the gopher arsenal. I'm wanting another light varmint round to sort of "complement" my 204. Now, I know I could get another 204, and make it easier on ammo, and the 204 does everything I could want. But, well, variety is the spice of life I say. I know there are a lot of 20VT fans here, but I don't think I'm ready to go that route yet. I was thinking of a nice 223. But then I got thinking that one of the 17's, maybe the 17 fireball, might be fun. But now my buddy has me thinking 220 Swift. I'm a fan of the little bullet-lots of speed club!

My line of thought is that the 223 and the 17's don't really add anything the 204 doesn't have, whereas the Swift might add a little range? I dunno, it looks fun to shoot anyway. So, if my 204 needs a buddy, what flavor do you think goes well with it?

Will post up some pictures next time I get out, which hopefully will be soon. I've enjoyed reading here for the last few months, and I've certainly learned a bunch. Thanks!

- Craig
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: My 204 needs a friend...

Post by Jim White »

For the 20 cals. there is the 20br, 20-250 and 20-220 cases. Over on the 6mmbr web site there are articles out there about them, allegedly, the 20br sends 50 grainers down range around 3900 fps. Not sure how the 220 Swift/AI/Ackley compares, you'll just have to check the #'s. Also, remember (unless it doesn't matter to you) barrel life can rear it's ugly head with overbore cartridges.

Good luck
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Dont know if you want to go big or not, but the 6MM line of bullets are impressive for long range shots. High BC and high velocity make a wicked combination. I would check out the .243 AI or the 6MM AI. I have a 243 Win that does well with the 75 grain Vmax. Current load velocity is 3560fps but my test loads with Superperformance have topped 3700 fps! That's flatter shooting than any 20 Cal at long range. The 20 cals are a lil cheaper to shoot and have less muzzle blast.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Varoum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Varoum »

Try getting a rifle to shot the berger 55gr bullet with a BC of .381. I guest you would be the first around this forum. I could be wrong. With this flavor you would get a lot of attention. :lol:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Products/V ... llets.html
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Seems to me shooting such a heavy bullet from the 204 would be counterproductive to what most people want the 204 for. Most people want explosive hits and flat shooting trajectories inside 500 yards. I imagine that bullet would do well on coyotes though.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Varoum

Post by Varoum »

The bullet has a wounderfull BC. With the right case and amount of power, this bullet could be travelling in the 3 500fps or more. He wants a compagnion for his .204ruger. Just my .02$
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

I would think seriously about going with a .223 Bolt-action Rifle,use some light weight bullets and You can reach out pretty far to take down Coyotes,Bobcats,Foxes and so on and it will have some decent knock-down power.Here in Missouri You can also use the .223 for Deer Hunting so it has multipurposes and the .223 Ammo is easy to find and very reasonably priced. :wink: ;)
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

If you want to shoot 50+ grain bullets to reach out and touch something, a 22-250 or a 220 Swift will do a better job at knockin the stuffing outta critters. I could be wrong, but I dont know how you can get 3500 fps with a 55 grain bullet from a 204 with any accuracy unless you have it chambered to touch the lands.
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

ryutzy wrote:If you want to shoot 50+ grain bullets to reach out and touch something, a 22-250 or a 220 Swift will do a better job at knockin the stuffing outta critters. I could be wrong, but I dont know how you can get 3500 fps with a 55 grain bullet from a 204 with any accuracy unless you have it chambered to touch the lands.
+1 for 22-250!!
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

I explored a few preliminary loads for the .204 Ruger using the 50 grain Berger HPBT bullet. There is no way this bullet can be successfully used in any 1:12" twist factory barrel. I used a Pac-Nor 1:8.5" twist barrel on a rifle built on a Savage Dual Port Precision Target Action. Accuracy was good, in the .5" range, with 25.0 grains of Varget and 3,287 fps. 24.0 Grains of Benchmark was not quite as accurate, producing 3,327 fps. It is very unlikely that 3,500 fps can be realized with this bullet without excessive pressures. I have not had time to do more experimenting with the Berger 50 grain, let alone the 55 grain which I also intend to develop loads for. Load data came direct from Berger ( they won't give out the data without confirming the shooter is using a fast twist barrel) or the Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester website. Both these bullets are so dang pretty I hated to shoot them - opening a box reveals gleaming little jewels of pure ballistic art.

Anyone with a Savage .204 varmint rifle can order a Pac-Nor drop-in barrel with the Savage contour in the 1:8" or 1:8.5" twist, and swap it in. I found that even the lightest 26 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade bullets shoot phenomenally in the faster twist.

If you want a rifle to complement the .204 Ruger, the .22-250 Remington is a good choice. The .220 Swift is a great cartridge, but the .22-250 will do the same thing. I suggest you peruse the Savage website, they even make the Model 12 LRPV with a left port, right bolt 1:9" twist .22-250 that will handle heavier bullet weights as well as the 50 grain bullets.
zx10mike
.204 Ruger Guns: TIKKA T3 VARMINT

Post by zx10mike »

before you write off the .17 fireball check out sirslotsalot on you tube he is shooting the .17 rem but 5-600 yrd rabbit shots.what more do you want.and a safe round tho i suppose in the states you guys call most things a small round.
Neil S.

Post by Neil S. »

I would also suggest watching sirslotsalot's videos on youtube. He is quite a shooter and his videos are very entertaining. I wouldn't have guessed the 17 remington to be a viable 500+ yard round until I saw it with my own eyes. That being said, a good compliment to your 204 ruger would be a round thats good for shorter ranges or longer ranges. Just depends on what you want to do. Some cartriges between 17 hmr and 204R are 17 Fireball, 20 VarTarg and a bunch of others. If you want more range I'd look at the 6 and 6.5 mm cartriges.

-Neil