Remington sps stainless 204 vs Savage Axis stainless 223

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
matt_3479
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Remington sps stainless 204 vs Savage Axis stainless 223

Post by matt_3479 »

So I already own a 243. Win that shoots 1/2 groups with factory 80 grain soft point. I bought it for the general purpose of coyotes and long range targeting as well as deer. I love the rifle but it's heavy, and don't always need a large round like that so
I am in the market for a smaller, carry around varmint rifle for the main purpose of ground hogs, squirrels, foxes, crows, and coyotes when they come out. Originally I was going get a 22-250 or 223. Remington but for
Some reason I really don't like the 223. Where I hunt there is virtually no wind!! The shots will be within 300 yards. I was thinking a 22-250 but I don't think I need it, so
My next thought was the 204. Ruger. I have been extremely interestedin this round and want one but don't want to make a mistake. I figure, cause I have to heavy 243. Win i can risk the light 204. Ruger. What are people's thoughts. I know the 204 ruger is plenty of gun for tge animals listed I just want to hear thoughts and experiences.

The 204 ruger will be in a Remington sps stainless, 24" barrel.
And the 22-250 will be in a savage axis stainless 22" barrel
204_au
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS stainless

Re: Remington sps stainless 204 vs Savage Axis stainless 223

Post by 204_au »

Hi Matt,

I have the Remington SPS stainless with 24" barrel you mention. Owned it for about 2 months now and very happy with the rifle.. it's already accounted for many kills and is primarily used for Fox, feral cat and rabbit control.

These pics are from yesterday.. testing some hand loads using 39gr. sierra Bks and 27gr. of AD2206H powder. Keep in mind, with no load development or sorting of brass and bullets the rifle put 7 shots inside 0.45" @ 100 yards and including the flyer 8 shots inside 0.69", which IMHO is more than enough to hit a dog at 300 yards.

Weak point of the SPS is the $2.95 plastic stock. I had to float mine, but it's way to flexy in the forend. That said, it's a Remington and plenty of aftermarket goodies available. I have a Boyds FT thumb hole stock on the way..

Also, the rifle shoots Factory Hornady 32gr. V-max very well. So far taken small game out to 407 yards with this gun.. so for my 300 yard rifle it's already exceeded it's purpose.

Scope is a Clearidge XP5 Ultra 2.5-12.5x42mm which seems to suit the rifle well.

Cheers,
Au
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

You will be happy with either round....with that said my vote would be for the 204. For coyotes you will want to use a 35 grain bullet or heavier. Keep in mind that most 1:12 twist barrels will not stablize the 40grain bullet but most will shoot the 39 grain Sierra Blitzking which is a fantastic bullet. If you dont handload, I think Federal loads this bullet in a factory loading. Set your gun up properly and you will LOVE that little explosive 204!!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Remington .204 all the way. I have the Varmint version of that SPS (26" heavy barrel and Hogue plastic stock - replaced with B&C) in .22-250 and a Remington LVSF in .204. The '250 sits unused much of the time not because that model Rem. isn't an accurate rifle, but because my .204s are simply more enjoyable to shoot. A 24" barrel and a standard-style stock would slot nicely between those two style Rem.'s; only quandry (for me, at least) is that, by the time one added an aftermarket stock and trigger, he could have paid for a .204 C-Z Kevlar Varmint.
The Reloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS Varmit

Post by The Reloader »

Altough I am new to the .204 I spent A LOT of time researching the perfect round for my needs
My Needs being Grey and Red Squirrel Crows Rabbit and also somthing that would be Good enough for Coyote. Also knowing that 75% of the time I wanted a round for precision target shooting between 100 and 300 yards. With my countless hours of research I ended up going with the 204 ruger by a land slide! Its everything I wanted out of small game/ target shooting cartridge!! Having some expensive guns with nice gun stocks I always had to try to keep them "safe" in the field which is nota good feeling when your trying to hunt. So This time I just went with the Remington 700 SPS Varmint With a Leupold VX-3 CDS scope. The synthetic stock alows me to move through heavy cover and lay on the groud using my bi pod without the worry of scratching The wood. With My First 50 Shots Ever with the gun and my First load attempt I got .46 actual MOA I was so impressed! I have not gone out hunting with it tho yet!