1st time with my .204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
alan108
.204 Ruger Guns: Cz 527 Varmint

1st time with my .204

Post by alan108 »

I've had my Cz Varmint .204 since last August,but due to ill health only managed to get out yesterday (Sunday) for the first time.I was out with my shooting buddy Terry after rabbits,we first saw some and the range finder read 183yards,I took the shot and dropped the rabbit,very pleased with that one.Terry and I split up.he was shooting at a maximum of 100yards with his .22WMR, and I was in a part of the field where it's difficult to get closer than 150yards,the next rabbit 'pinged' on the rangefinder at 286yards,I wasn't sure if I should take the shot,but decided to,aiming at the neck and chest (to be sure of a hit)I was pleased to see the rabbit was hit where i'd aimed.A little later ,I had another at 229 yards,then to cap it all,I MISSED a 'sitter'at 70yards :shock: .I've been reloading Winchester brass,27gns H322, and 32 gn Hornady V-Max.
I'm more than pleased with the performance of this calibre,and it certainly has surprised me as to what it can do,i'll be trying the Sierra 39gn Blitzking next( from comments on here,the 40gn V-Max may not be the best for my rifle) and will have to see how it goes.
What a fantastic calibre it is, i'd been using my .22 Hornet for most of my shooting,but honestly believe that the .204 is the way forward. :D

Alan :)

Hopefully,my health will allow me to get out more and i'll get some more.BUT,not sure if I should post pictures of shot prey. :huh:
Last edited by alan108 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishy
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Re: 1st time with my .204

Post by fishy »

I haven't been a member myself for very long, but I dont think any pictures of your quarry will offend anyone here. So, I am going to say post em up. I want to see. :eek: I believe we would all love to see em.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

We are a gory bunch, for the most part, so post away.. Like those photos.. BIll K :twisted:
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Bring it on :mrgreen:
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and that you had a chance to shoot your new rifle. 204s are just fun to shoot. Pictures??? Red mist is what we live for!
Please, no Sidewinder today!
alan108

Post by alan108 »

Ah, gory pictures are ok then, well my friend Terry and I (perhaps I should say the both he and I were born on the same day and year,August 6th 1945) are out this week-end after the rabbits in two different parts of the land we shoot over,Id been down yesterday to check the zero on my .22WMR and saw plenty there,I did manage one rabbit,a long shot for the magnum really(150yards) which was pleasing.So, look out (hopefully) for some pictures on Monday. :D

Alan :)
alan108

Post by alan108 »

I went out this evening to try for some more rabbits,but the fields were being sprayed with anti-fungal and growth retardant,but decided to stay after the farmer had gone,I didn't expect much and I was right,I saw one rabbit only,so decided to have a shot at it,it dropped instantly from a 32gn V-max from my .204,but the best part was the distance,309yards!! I just can't believe how flat shooting the .204 is,and how accurate my Cz is.You can say,i'm mightily pleased with it. :D

Alan :D
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Glad you are feeling better.

If your cz is like any other cz s it wil like the 39sbks very well.

Post up some picks we like gory stuff and picks from other areas of the world . well at least i do.