Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by TONK »

Hello Folks!.........I must appologize for not getting around to doing this segment but sometime back our PC crash and we lost everything. Now right after that my health went far South and it has been hit and miss ever since. So since we now have a new PC I have tried and tried to get back on but to no availl. However, today I made it and I am really glad I did.

I am a retired tradesman, who loves to shoot and hunt ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper I suspect. I did my time for Uncle Sam back in the 60's. Love to raise dogs and hunt upland too, ever since our kids left our roost. My wife is my shooting partner and she too has a battery of rifles to say the least. We are planning a big P-Dog hunt this year and both of us have .204 Ruger's in the Savage model 12 rifle.

I love watching Hockey, Boxing, Football and Baseball on TV. The only hunting program I watch nowdays is Eastmans, those boys tell and do things right. We raise some of the very best German Shorthair Pointers in the mid-west bare none. I am an NRA member and gunclub member in my state of Missouri.
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
Scoutmaster
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16 FCSS

Post by Scoutmaster »

Hello everyone! I'm new here and to the .204 Ruger. I just recently bought a Savage Model 16 in .204 Ruger and found this site while searching for info on the .204. I've been shooting, hunting and reloading for 30+ years. I've been working as a Railroad Signalman for the last 35 years and spent a number of years as a Boy Scout Scoutmaster.
Don
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forums guys!! It's good to have you here!! Don't be shy with the pics now!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
TunTav0321
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 12 Savage

Post by TunTav0321 »

I visited here for awhile before I joined, Then I made a couple of post before I found this introduction thread, so better late than never I hope.

I am a country boy from East Texas, joined the Marine Corps at as early an age as they would let me. Spent the best 30 years of my life in the Corps and was sad to leave even after those 30 years, but age and bullet holes eventually took there toll, and after one very bad wound I spent the last year from a hospital bed in Bethesda Naval Hospital. I walk with a something of a limp today but to go shooting I will crawl if I have to, and I do have to sometimes.

I competed Nationally in BPCR Silhouette for years, and the Politics of that sport, or maybe my reaction to any politics turned me away from that. Long range shooting is my passion and that brought me to the Ruger .204. I have found it to be as challanging a caliber as those old Buffalo Guns were any day, especially out around 500 yds or so. My longest kill shot with my Savage model 12 was a coyote at a measured 687 Yds. Who would have ever thought that you could not only hit but kill at that extreme range with a tiny little .20 caliber bullet?

Look forward to hanging out and learning as much as I can from you folks. Thanks for having the site and for putting in all the work it must require.

On a side note I have been looking for a new Hunting Dawg, you know I buddy to go with me, that will listen and not complain. looked and looked and just could not find a good fit. So I choose to think out side the box a smidgen. Found me a really cool "Hunting Fox". Take a look and let me know how I did......

Roland

Protected people will never be able to understand the intensity life CAN be lived at. To do that you must complettly understand the meaning of the word "DUCK"
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Welcome to the forum! and I can't thank you enough for your years of service. I'm sure you have many stories, memories good and bad.

Yes, your new hunting buddy is sweet. Appears like he's hunting his favorite meals.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
GaryC
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12BTV

Post by GaryC »

Thought I would introduce myself. My name is Gary, I live in Poulsbo, Washington. I am primarily a rimfire shooter, which is why I hang out on Rimfire Central so much, but I took a slightly used Savage 12 in Ruger .204 in trade as payment on a debt. My step dad has had the rifle for a while, and I'm getting it back this week. It will be staying with me after that. :)
I have a Boyd's Ross Thumbhole Varmint stock on the way, so it's going to go from a Model 12FV to a 12BTV, I guess.

I am not a hunter, although one of these years I want to go shoot PDs, but I'll probably have to do that with a .22LR. My main reason for being here and keeping the .204 is that I want an accurate 200-300 yard target rifle. While I understand I could go with a 6mm, or .308 or something like that, I have this gun, a Nikon Monarch scope on it, and I would lose money trying to get what else may be out there.

I know that one of the biggest issues for accuracy is handloading your rounds, so, to that, I've purchased a RCBS Rock Chucker kit, and some dies and more goodies, and I'm going to attempt to learn the fine art of reloading. Again, one of the reasons I've come here, or been directed here by friends.

I look forward to learning and later contributing to this site, and I thank you for everything in advance.

Regards,

Gary
http://www.catsmeowcafe.com/qrcode.htm

My avatar on other websites is a QR code, which I can't upload here. The link above takes you to the same place.

God, Family, Country
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gary - Welcome aboard! You've chosen a great caliber to get into both accurate rifles AND handloading. Lots of advice and knowledge around here, lots of fun too. You mention shooting PD's.....you may not be a hunter now, but be warned, you WILL be, and addicted to the pastime once you do...trust me on that one. :D

One more thing.....we like pictures. Seems most of us are visually-oriented. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

GaryC
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12BTV

Post by GaryC »

Rick,
I've yet to find a gun forum where pictures aren't wanted. :) We kid newbies on RFC that our TOS requires pictures of all new guns, so when I get around to getting the Model 12 all dolled up and pretty I'll put some pictures of that up, along with target pictures as well.

Gary
http://www.catsmeowcafe.com/qrcode.htm

My avatar on other websites is a QR code, which I can't upload here. The link above takes you to the same place.

God, Family, Country
restosteve
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by restosteve »

Hi folks. My name is Steve tenwinkel. I've been coming here and getting alot of information and thought it was time to join. My 204 is a Savage with a sporter weight barrel. It's got a Tasco 8-32x and I've been trying to get the thing to shoot. I also like Winchesters. I've got a Mod. 70 HV in .223 and a Stealth II in 22-250, both great shooters. Also have a Rem 700 LVSF in .221 fireball that I love loading for, A Bushmaster Varminter and a few others.

I've gotten alot of info here. Hopefully I can return the favor.

I'm from Wisconsin, btw.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Welcome!!! Glad to have you here and hope to see PICS! of your collection of guns, critters, etc.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

restosteve wrote:Hi folks. My name is Steve tenwinkel. I've been coming here and getting alot of information and thought it was time to join. My 204 is a Savage with a sporter weight barrel. It's got a Tasco 8-32x and I've been trying to get the thing to shoot. I also like Winchesters. I've got a Mod. 70 HV in .223 and a Stealth II in 22-250, both great shooters. Also have a Rem 700 LVSF in .221 fireball that I love loading for, A Bushmaster Varminter and a few others.

I'm from Wisconsin, btw.
Welcome, Steve. I suppose I should congratulate your Wisconsin teams for beating the OSU Buckeyes in football and b-ball last season, but I won't ;)
Not trying to get away from the .204 theme, but what load works best in your LVSF .221 Fireball? I just picked one up (I also have one in .204); this one shoots pretty well with just the factory 50 grainers, despite the heavy 5# trigger (gotta fix that) but don't know what to start with once the dies get here...Thanks!
restosteve
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by restosteve »

RowdyYates wrote:
restosteve wrote:Hi folks. My name is Steve tenwinkel. I've been coming here and getting alot of information and thought it was time to join. My 204 is a Savage with a sporter weight barrel. It's got a Tasco 8-32x and I've been trying to get the thing to shoot. I also like Winchesters. I've got a Mod. 70 HV in .223 and a Stealth II in 22-250, both great shooters. Also have a Rem 700 LVSF in .221 fireball that I love loading for, A Bushmaster Varminter and a few others.

I'm from Wisconsin, btw.
Welcome, Steve. I suppose I should congratulate your Wisconsin teams for beating the OSU Buckeyes in football and b-ball last season, but I won't ;)
Not trying to get away from the .204 theme, but what load works best in your LVSF .221 Fireball? I just picked one up (I also have one in .204); this one shoots pretty well with just the factory 50 grainers, despite the heavy 5# trigger (gotta fix that) but don't know what to start with once the dies get here...Thanks!
Hi Rowdy. You don't have to congradutate me on those teams..........just the Packers. :mrgreen:

On the fireball, my load is a hot one. I follow some other people and what they're doing with it. You can save yourself alot of time and just go to AA1680 powder and 40gr. V-max bullets. I'm loading 19.6 grs. of 1680 with Rem 7 1/2 primers and putting the bullets three thou off the lands. That load is accurate as heck and ran 3600fps over the chrono. The load came from AA, which showed a max charge of 20.5, but they later pulled the info. Another companies manual shows 17.9 as max, so I get a little nervous trying to hot rod this cartridge too much. There are no signs of pressure, primers are fine, pockets are tight, bolt opens fine, etc. I've loaded these cases a half dozen times. (I neck size only)

I'd highly recommend this powder and bullet. Just please start LOW. I started at 17.5 and worked my way up a tenth at a time.

Btw, the Sierra 40gr. BK's shoot well, too. I've also got some 40gr. Nosler BT's to try but haven't had the time. I played around with the Sierra 52gr. match bullet and 8208 and Benchmark last summer, but couldn't top the V-max load.

I love the LVSF. I bedded mine, floated the barrel, got the trigger down to about 1 1/2 lbs and put a Nikon 5.5-16.5x Titanium on it. I screwed up and missed a chance at one in 204 (it was on sale) but if I find another..........it's mine! 8)
204_au
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS stainless

Post by 204_au »

Hi Folks,

New member from Australia. Name is Joey and live in a small town called Trentham, Victoria. Recently bought a new Remington SPS stainless in 204 ruger to fill the gap between my two rimfire and 308 winchester rifle. With just a few outings the 204 is already my favorite gun.. it loves the factory loaded 32 gr. vmax and despite being early days, it's showing great potential with the 39 gr Sierra BKs I've started hand loading.

Hope to get to know you all, share some experiences and learn from others about how to get the best performance from the 204 ruger.

Cheers,
sledboyjr
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by sledboyjr »

Hello,

So I am a new member. My name is Kody, I am from Highland Utah. I do not have a .204 yet, but am building an AR in .204. I do a bit of bird hunting, varmint hunting, and big game.

I reload my ammo (7MM Remington Mag) and hunt big game with it, and also like to punch holes at long distances.

I am 16 years old, so Ill be asking a lot of questions, and probably wont have the answers. :wall:

Hope to get to know all of you, and learn a whole lot from you.

Kody
If A Man Is In A Forest, With No Woman To Hear Him...IS HE STILL WRONG?
I Dream Of A Better World, Where Chickens Can Cross The Road Without Their Motives Being Questioned
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Kody: welcome to the forum.....you've come to the right place! Good folks and a great source of information......
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower