Did I do that?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
RoadKill
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem. 700VLS and 23" G2 barrel on older Contender

Did I do that?

Post by RoadKill »

After resting off bags or whatever was handy all my life I finally bought a nice mechanical rest with the AP windage top. Sling swivel studs are good when you need them but to me are annoying when shooting from any rest. Sinclair warns me of damage to the bag that will come with recoil and say to remove them while using the rest.

Before I find out the hard way on a Remington laminate and B&C composite, do they typically glue the studs in place? I’ve taken them off cheaper stuff in the past but not repeatedly.

Who can supply a good flush mount cup with a machine thread screw in stud or a similar device offering relatively easy removal and reattachment of the stud?

Even if the typical stud is not glued in I still see R&R more than once in awhile potential for problems. Or maybe I worry too much.

Thank you for any input.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Re: Did I do that?

Post by Trent »

There are several options out there that fall into the "flush cup" category. This company is highly regarded.
http://www.grovtec.com/products_swivel_pairs.php

They have thread in cups, and glue in.

Uncle Mikes sells them too. I think they are around $15. Do a search on MidwayUSA for "detachable swivel" and you will find many options for this type.
Trent

Post by Trent »

I've never seen a sling stud glued in place. Not to say that nobody does it, but I have yet to see it.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Trent wrote:I've never seen a sling stud glued in place. Not to say that nobody does it, but I have yet to see it.

Seems to me that the GroveTec multi-swivel, would be what would work best, from sling to bench.First I've seen of this.Unlike the uncle Mikes,you can attach a bipod, if you like.
RoadKill
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem. 700VLS and 23" G2 barrel on older Contender

Post by RoadKill »

Thank you for the response guys. Reckon I should have mentioned the only reason I care about putting a stud back in would be for the use of a bipod at some point. I’ll keep the GrovTec products in mind as they appear to be of a higher quality than the Uncle Mike’s and they do the Multi-Adapter Swivel Stud too.

My concern was prompted mainly due to several used composite stocks (some were B&C) I have seen where the seller described “minor crack” usually at a swivel stud. I’ll see how well mine like being removed then decide what to do which could be just fill the silly holes.
Trent

Post by Trent »

As far as just filling the holes goes, I have made "filler" plugs by just taking an in expensive aftermarket (Uncle Mikes) sling stud and chucking it into my drill and filing it down with a good file just "machine" it down flat and the cold blue it. Then you can screw it into the stock and it fills the hole, allows you to use a front bag, and doesn't alter the stock in any way.
GaryC
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12BTV

Post by GaryC »

Roadkill,
I have a better idea for you. Since you bought a nice new benchrest with a nice windage top, it sounds like you want to shoot paper...maybe. That's what I am going to be doing, as with all of my rifles. But, none of my rifles have a Benchrest stock on them. The bags I have, both Caldwell and Protektor for a Caldwell Rock BR rest, don't keep my rifle from rolling.

So, I ordered a http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=3 ... st_Adaptor, which is a bench rest adapter. I had to edit this because I was wrong on my original post. I misread, or misunderstood, the information from Sinclair's site. I thought that this attached to your swivel stud, it does not. You need to remove the stud and use the included screws to screw it into the hole that the swivel came out of.

On my Kimber 82G, I have an Anschutz rail, on my Savage Anschutz Mark 10A, there is a hand grip adapter that you can screw into, and then on my Savage rimfires and on the stock that's coming for the Model 12, there are just swivel studs. I am thinking that I'm going to make something for the Kimber that uses the rail, and a shorter screw on the bottom of the adapter, and something similar for the Savage Anschutz. For the Savage stocks, I may remove one of the swivel studs, and insert a threaded insert in place of it, JB weld it in place, and then screw the adapter into that.

I'll see if I can't have something rigged up by this weekend to give you my initial impression of it.

Gary
http://www.catsmeowcafe.com/qrcode.htm

My avatar on other websites is a QR code, which I can't upload here. The link above takes you to the same place.

God, Family, Country