Question for CZ 527 Owners

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Question for CZ 527 Owners

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I am in the beginning phase of a new project. The project involves building an adapter for the rail that's machined into the CZ 527 Receiver. The adapter would allow a conversion to a weaver style base. This in turn would allow you to mount any weaver style ring on the CZ 527 instead of the proprietary rings that are now required for a cz. In addition the adapter's will also give a bit of added height to the scope which will in turn add a bit of clearance so that the factory bolt handle won't interfere with the scope eyepiece. I am planning on machining the bases/ adapters out of steel and then black oxiding them. I am curious to see how much interest there would be in this project.

Thanks,
Brad
homefront
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Re: Question for CZ 527 Owners

Post by homefront »

Brad,

I'd be VERY interested in this project.

This addresses the only weak point that I see in the rifle.

Please let me know if you go forward with it!

Charley
wirelessguy2005

Charley,

Thank You for your interest. I have every intention of moving forward with the project if i can get a few details worked out. I am hoping that others will be interested as well, the more interest i get the more likely the project moves forward. I also agree with you that the ring option is one of the major drawbacks on the CZ. The only other drawback i see is the bolt handle and its inability to clear most scopes. I have a project in the works for a bolt handle as well. The bolt handle would have extra clearance to accomodate some of the larger scopes. I also plan on machining a thread on the end and offer multiple bolt knob options. I almost forgot to mention the best part, i plan on machining it out of stainless steel.

Thanks,
Brad
homefront wrote:Brad,

I'd be VERY interested in this project.

This addresses the only weak point that I see in the rifle.

Please let me know if you go forward with it!

Charley
homefront
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by homefront »

Brad,

All very good ideas.

I really like my 527. For me, it's the perfect balance of accuracy, handling and quality construction.

However, the problems you are addressing are glaring ones and good fixes would make the rifle just about perfect.

A .30BR chambering would make it absolutely perfect; but I digress!

I would be more than happy to be part of your testing process! :mrgreen:

Looking forward to your work....
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

I might be wrong, but I believe there's such a product out there. I ran across it before I went to the bend-the-bolt-handle-and-lower rings thing on my 527; I just didn't want a full rail (it may have been for C-Z rimfire only; frankly can't remember.) There are two-piece conversion mounts for Rugers out there, so maybe you could consider a two-piece setup for C-Z, also? At any rate, you have a good idea; if an existing competitor is out there, just hope he doesn't get wise and advertise more than he is now...
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Sorry, WG, but www.diproductsinc.com already makes such a product for the 527; they also have a 2-pc. style.
I might be missing something, but my experience with the C-Z was: the rings were already too high, not only for good cheek weld, but aesthetically weird, also, with the scope hanging up there near the ionosphere; also detracted from the "compactness" of that rifle. Any time you add even slightly-lower rings - and there are lower aftermarket C-Z-types out there, Warnes for example - they won't work because of bolt-handle interference with the scope eye bell. Now that C-Z is said to be re-bending the handle for free, it's gonna hurt aftermarket guys like Calhoon who do that, and it's probably only a matter of time before C-Z changes the bend at the factory. Not saying there isn't always going to be a market out there for those who prefer a Weaver/picatinny base, though.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
wirelessguy2005

You are correct. They are actually the reason that i decided to make a competing product. I ordered a set of their 2 pc adapters and was not at all impressed with the fit. Their design rely's heavily on the fact that you can use the 4 set screws to take the slop out of the fit between the adapter and the rail. when i tried to mount up a set of them on my CZ there was no way that i could get them even close to tight or level enough for my taste. In addition when you tighten up the set screws on the adapter to try to take the slop out you end up leaving marks on the receiver. I am working on an adapter that will allow you to retain the stock ring height while using a weaver style ring. Stay tuned and i will update with more information as the project moves along.
RowdyYates wrote:Sorry, WG, but http://www.diproductsinc.com already makes such a product for the 527; they also have a 2-pc. style.
I might be missing something, but my experience with the C-Z was: the rings were already too high, not only for good cheek weld, but aesthetically weird, also, with the scope hanging up there near the ionosphere; also detracted from the "compactness" of that rifle. Any time you add even slightly-lower rings - and there are lower aftermarket C-Z-types out there, Warnes for example - they won't work because of bolt-handle interference with the scope eye bell. Now that C-Z is said to be re-bending the handle for free, it's gonna hurt aftermarket guys like Calhoon who do that, and it's probably only a matter of time before C-Z changes the bend at the factory. Not saying there isn't always going to be a market out there for those who prefer a Weaver/picatinny base, though.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

RowdyYates wrote:Sorry, WG, but http://www.diproductsinc.com already makes such a product for the 527; they also have a 2-pc. style.
I don't believe CZ rebent my handle. It appears some of the metal was removed and made thinner at the point where the bolt handle is adjacent to the bolt itself. This is a commom issue with the CZ527 so maybe something is in the works to correct it. By the way, AFAIK, CZ doesn't advertise this service. I stumbled on to it be casually asking a CZ shop rep during while inquiring about another project.

HTH