Barrel Twist

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
MiniSniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 Custom by Absolute Accuracy.com

Barrel Twist

Post by MiniSniper »

I have been absent from the forum for some time and I'm sure the topic has been discussed at length. I am in the process of having a custom .204 Ruger built and the topic of barrel twist came up with the builder. I believe the factory twist is 1-12 and my Savage Varminter shoots either the 32 or 40 gr. bullet equally well. I will only be shooting Prairie Dogs and an occasional Rock chuck so I would like to get it right for the bucks. Should I stick with the norm or is there a better universal twist we could use.

Your expert opinions would be appreciated, thanks in advance...MS

Builder.. www.AbsoluteAccuracy.us
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Barrel Twist

Post by ryutzy »

1:10 or 1:11 1:12 is too slow for most 40 grain bullets and it can be marginal for the 39 grainers. I shoot a 1:12 and it doesnt do well with the 40s but I can get it to shoot the 39s well. I'm on the edge for bullet stability. My next barrel will probably be a 1:10 or 1:11. I shoot a 24" barrel, if you are going shorter than that I would definately go with a faster twist than 1:12
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I agree with the 11".
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I built mine with a Pac-Nor 11 twist, 24" 3-groove Super Match, and it shoots the 39 & 40's in the .2's. Wouldn't change a thing. You can still shoot 32's if wanted, but for PD's and chucks where wind is always a factor, my personal choice is the heavier bullets every time. Terminal performance 'out there' is much more rewarding too. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I have to agree with 1 in 11" twist for anything from 32 gr. on up to 40 grain and even the 45 gr. Hornady will shoot in the 1 in 11 as well as many 1 in 12 twisters. I have a SS 25" super match grade 1 in 11" twist Pac-Nor barrel on a Savage 12VLP action. I have tested 32 gr. V-Max, 35 gr. FBHP Bergers, 39 gr. Sierras, and 40 gr. V-Max bullets in this rifle and they all shoot extremely well. I'm currently shooting hBN coated 40 gr. V-Max bullets and they Red-mistify the old prairie dogs and knock down coyotes pretty good too.

Don't limit your bullet choices by going with the factory 1 in 12" twist.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
MiniSniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 Custom by Absolute Accuracy.com

Post by MiniSniper »

Thanks to all posting a reply and their advise. Met with the builder and decided on 1-11 with a 24" varmint contour barrel and H-S Varmint stock. Not sure what brand barrel yet. Took my .204 700 SPS in to use the action. Posted the original barrel and stock in the swap meet. Should be ready for PD's this summer.

Thanks again....MS