Taking a barrel backwards?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Taking a barrel backwards?

Post by Vartarg »

I've used WS2 with bullets for several calibers....and am not necessarily unhappy with the results. I'm interested, though, in what I would need to do to take a particular rifle and go back to naked bullets? Any comments or thoughts welcome.....thanks.
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
jo191145

Re: Taking a barrel backwards?

Post by jo191145 »

Clean it real good. Maybe even a little JB.
Luckily WS2 cleans out much easier than moly.

Don't be surprised if you get a little excessive coppering first time out.
Clean it and start again.
If you can't get coppering under control in a high rd count barrel it usually means the WS2 was doing its job.
Hiding firecracking in the throat etc.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Vartarg: Just as jo1911 sez, clean it down to bare steel......all the way. Once it's down to bare steel, you should be good to go, but be sure to put some kind of lube in the barrel first prior to firing, then a couple of dry patches to just leave a very thin film of lube in the pores of the steel.

Darrell Holland markets a barrel lube that Pac-Nor includes with their new barrels. Having that very thin film on bare steel really helps with the break-in process when new, and is a good thing to use at the end of every cleaning if you're not using Hbn/Loc-Eaze, but don't want to go back to WS2.

I only have three out of 18 varmint rifles I use WS2 in now, and it's continued use is under review here too....... :chin: (But is sure is nice to be able to go 100 rounds of 223 Ackley in a PD or ground squirrel field without cleaning!)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Thanks.....I've decided to keep on with the WS2....bought some Sierra 32 grainers, and hope they'll shoot as well in my DPMS upper, as the Sierra 39's do in my Rem LVSF and Ruger 77VT......they're in the tumbler right now. Will report.
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower