ruger No.1-V in .204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
saladin

ruger No.1-V in .204

Post by saladin »

hi to all. 1st post on these boards, so i wasn't sure whether to put this here or on the centrefire rifles board. please move it if necessary, mods.

i am looking very closely at picking up a stainless laminated varmint Ruger No1 in .204. but i am a little hesitant due to some of the not so flattering reports of the No1's temperamental nature.

has anyone shot/owned one of the varmint No1's in .204, and did you manage to get accuracy levels from it sufficient to do justice to the round? if so, how much effort did you have to put into the forend bedding etc?

many thanks for any input.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I am a fan of the Ruger No.1 and No.3 rifles, have both, and all shoot very well indeed.

There has been much here discussed about this subject, and much more on 6mmbr.com , go go varmint go forum and if you Google Ruger No.1 bedding, you'll find a host of articles on the subject....all very helpful.

My basic approach is to replace the factory trigger, float the forearm, glass the forearm tenon, lap the bore. My No.1V in .223 will shoot bug holes after this treatment (Canjar single set trigger) and a No.3 in 17 Ackley Hornet I have will shoot ten shots into 3/8" (Pac-Nor Barrel & custom trigger). Out of the box they disappoint, but with a little work, they'll charm you and shoot better than you can hold.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

20-250ai

Post by 20-250ai »

saladin,
I'm with Rick 100%! The #1 is a good looking, fun and can be a realy accurate rifle. I have a #1 in 20-250imp. that will stack rounds on each other all day.
If you get one always shoot it first, it might not need any "tweeking".
20-250ai
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

I have a Ruger No. 1 Stainless Varminter in 204 as well. I now have 60 rounds of Hornady Factory 32gr V-max's thru mine. I have left mine stock, and it should get better with more rounds down the tube. At this point the only thing i'd like to change is the trigger. One thing i've noticed is this rifle LOVES to be held tight, white knuckle tight. I shot a couple groups at 200 with just a firm grip, and when i really held down they came in under an inch.

These were taken on a windy (15mph), and humid day, so take the results as you see fit.

Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Re: ruger No.1-V in .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

What is the twist of the 1V in 204? 1-12"?
Doveryai no Proveryai
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Big_Bullseye wrote:What is the twist of the 1V in 204? 1-12"?
Yeppers, it is. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

My K1V 204 came with the best 31/2lb trigger I've ever used.I could shoot good groups,but it took more consentration than I was willing to expend.I had a M'oyer trigger installed,and when I get time I will play with it some more.I freefloated the barrel.but haven't bedded the tang, as yet.I love the gun and will get it consistantly under 1/2".
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Plus 1 on this rifle. I own one and have a Moyers trigger in it. With my pet load with a 39 grn Sierra on top will do 1/4 to 3/8" 5 shot group with no problem. Broke the barrel in and checked the crown. She is all factory except the trigger, sear and trigger spring that comes in the Moyers package.
She's a shooter and a keeper!
Later
ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"