CZ 527 American

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
JLJ223
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12VLP

CZ 527 American

Post by JLJ223 »

Well I finally bought the CZ that I have been looking at for months(204 needless to say) My local Gander had it clearanced plus I had a $20 off coupon which let me walk out the door for a pretty descent price. I was even happier when I got the gun home and noticed that I finally got the elusive 527 that actually came with the rings(even a extra pair of swivel studs) My plans for the rifle is for it to be a light weight calling rifle but it also might double as a groundhog gun. I hope since it will be used mainly as a calling rifle to get a load together with the 39 or 40gr bullets. It has a fair piece of wood on it but nothing to really brag on..but overall I am very happy with it and excited to get her to the range and eventually out into the field.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: CZ 527 American

Post by RowdyYates »

Congratulations on that new C-Z! I have one in .221FB and love it. I'm not a fan of GM, but if you shop the clearance guns, you can do OK. I recently bought a "floor model" closeout Rem. LVSF (.221FB) from that store and shot a 1/2" group with it on a windy day (factory ammo!) Can't complain.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

You'll like that little CZ. Congratulations.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
JLJ223

Post by JLJ223 »

I am thinking this rifle will be mostly a calling rifle with a little bit of varminting mixed in, do you guys think a 3X9 Leupold will be enough glass?? ideally I would like a 4X12 or even a 4.5X14 on her, but with a 3X9 just sitting in my safe I dont know if I can justify the purchase.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Yep.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

The stock on my .204 looks like it came off Ruger's woodpile, the BLAND pile, at that :D Real straight-grained, but not too awful. I like it.

They are mighty good little packin' around rifles. Here, we carry 'em a LOT more than we shoot 'em, so the light weight is a good thing.

If yours is like mine, it might not take to the Hornady 40s very well. I mostly use 32s and 35s in mine, and go no heavier than 39s, but it likes the lighter bullets better.

I've got a Weaver V-9 (3-9) on mine, it's "just right" as Goldlilocks would say. Not for paper punching, but for hunting, I won't fuss.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

JLJ223, I picked up a CZ 527 Varmint last Fall and found that mine really likes the 35gr Berger with 26.1gr of Ramshot's X-Terminator....

Mine is set up with a Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5x scope that's pretty decent and should work well for Prairie Dogs, if gas prices don't get to high to make the trip to Colorado this Summer...
AR
Factory/Factory
JLJ223

Post by JLJ223 »

Thanks for the replies guys, the Mrs has already gave me the go ahead on buying a scope(wonderful lady that she is) and I am kinda looking around, but like I said its hard to pull the trigger on a $3-400 scope when there is a mint 3X9 just sitting there. If I were to find a great deal on something I would probably do it much other than that I will probably stick with the one I got.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Would this be considered a deal?? :lol:

http://swfa.com/Swift-6-18x44-Premier-R ... P7287.aspx

I own one Swift Premier in 4-12 & I am going to pick up 2 more. Excellent scopes.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
RowdyYates

Post by RowdyYates »

Non-AO 3-9X scopes are almost worthless to me; my eyes won't focus at close-to-medium ranges without looking over my glasses through one. And, with the set parallax, a person is going to miss those small targets - like the occasional groundhog - if it's out of that set range to any degree. I replaced my non-AO 3-9 on my C-Z for those reasons with a low-priced but decent Bushnell Trophy 4-12 AO and those "head-scratching" misses stopped. Also, FWIW: if you don't like those high stock rings and want to mount a scope lower, you're gonna have to get the bolt handle re-bent (www.jamescalhoon.com for example) to let the ocular bell clear it.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

RowdyYates wrote:Also, FWIW: if you don't like those high stock rings and want to mount a scope lower, you're gonna have to get the bolt handle re-bent (http://www.jamescalhoon.com for example) to let the ocular bell clear it.
Does he re-bend them or does he machine some of the metal off? Also, CZ will modify the bolt (and picture wise it looks just like Calhoon's) frre of charge, minus shipping. They did mine last year with pretty quick turn around.

Jim
JLJ223

Post by JLJ223 »

Thanks again for the replies, the 3X9 that I have is a fixed objective so you gave me something to think about. I was thinking today that I could probably make due with the 3X9 but I dont know if I would be totally happy with it, so I will probably still be looking around for something.
RowdyYates

Post by RowdyYates »

Jim White wrote:
RowdyYates wrote:Also, FWIW: if you don't like those high stock rings and want to mount a scope lower, you're gonna have to get the bolt handle re-bent (http://www.jamescalhoon.com for example) to let the ocular bell clear it.
Does he re-bend them or does he machine some of the metal off? Also, CZ will modify the bolt (and picture wise it looks just like Calhoon's) frre of charge, minus shipping. They did mine last year with pretty quick turn around.

Jim
Calhoon re-bends his (exchange.) I'd heard C-Z might be doing it now; wonder why they don't just make 'em with that bend new. Can't beat "free", though!