Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
mcseal2
.204 Ruger Guns: building one

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by mcseal2 »

I am a rancher in KS and work with my Dad and Grandpa. We run a 700 head commercial cow/calf operation with pretty much straight angus cows. I shoot some coyotes around the ranch and love hunting them. I ended up with 37 last year and am at 11 for this year.

I don't yet have a 204, but have the barrel ordered. I use mainly 243 caliber rifles for predators, but hearing the stories about watching hits in the scope made me want a 204. I had a Ruger M77 223 that was needing a new barrel so I will be building my 204 off it. The rifle should be completed by summer, here is what I'm building

Ruger M77 action w/timney trigger
Laminate thumbhole stock
Pac-Nor stainless #3 contour barrel 1 in 10 twist that I will finish at 22"

Hopefully it is a shooter.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Welcome aboard mcseal2. There is a ton of good info here on the 204 as well as others from a great bunch of guys. Let us know how your 10 twist "build" goes. You will have no problem flinging the heavier pills with that 10 twist. The 40 gr bergers and the 45 hornady sp's should be ultimate medicine for them yotes.
Savage Vaporizer
tihsbmud
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem. 700 VTR

Post by tihsbmud »

Hello, I’m Bryan

I have wanted a .20 since killing a few coyotes with a friends TAC. I’m not a wildcat kind of guy and it seems the .204 is here to stay so I jumped. I have a 700 VTR that will be here next week. I knew the muzzle brake for this caliber would be a “novelty item” I just like things that are a little different. I thought Remington could use some sales after being attacked by the media.

I found this place after the fact. I have printed off lots of stuff so maybe we wont have to generate a bunch more ink to get this Remington to shoot. LOL Thank you.

Bryan
TunTav0321
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 12 Savage

Post by TunTav0321 »

Hello Folks! I am Roland, I am a retired Marine, after thirty years of shooting at stuff I
found it hard to stop. Today there are no bad guys for me but I still shoot at least 4 times
a week. I have just purchased my first .204 a Savage Model 12. I am really a long range
shooter and competed for years at BPCRS and Long range shooting to a 1,000 yds. It is my
complete intension to make the .204 a somewhat long range rifle noe LONG RANGE in this case
is realitive but as long as I can make it. The .204 came to me because I got really tired of
replacing barrels in my 6.5mm .284. I could burn one of those up in two weeks, I mean no
matter what you do a 1,000 rounds or so and they are done.
Mostly I am a quite guy, but love to listen to what you guys have to say.

Roland
Protected people will never be able to understand the intensity life CAN be lived at. To do that you must complettly understand the meaning of the word "DUCK"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Welcome aboard, TunTav!

Although I've only known a few "quiet Marines" ;) , I know you'll fit right in here just dandy. I also can tell you that your new 204 barrel will make you smile more and last alot longer than your 6.5-284 rig did.

Good to have you with us, remember we like pics. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bunny shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Semi custom Remy 700 + Sightron STac 4-20x50

Post by bunny shooter »

Hi,

I'm an Irish .204 Ruger shooter.

I have a Remington LVSF in .204 Ruger, Boyds aftermarket stock, Leupold VX III 6.5-20 x 50 and Timney trigger

I use it for shooting foxes & a small bit of target shooting

Have been browsing this site for a while and thought it was time I joined up :D
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Tun-Tav.........Bunny Shooter Welcome to a great site. Great bunch here with lot of helpful info.
Enjoy and post some pics...........we all like pics!!
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
bunny shooter

Post by bunny shooter »

Ray P wrote:Tun-Tav.........Bunny Shooter Welcome to a great site. Great bunch here with lot of helpful info.
Later
Ray P
Here you go ;)

My pride & joy 8)

RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

bunny shooter wrote:
Ray P wrote:Tun-Tav.........Bunny Shooter Welcome to a great site. Great bunch here with lot of helpful info.
Later
Ray P
Here you go ;)

My pride & joy 8)

Thanks for the pic., Bunny Shooter. I just picked upa second LVSF (.221FB) to go with my .204. Blew my re-stocking budget in the process; might just have 'em camo'd by Bell & Carlson, only 70 bucks ea., as they shoot suprisingly well as they are. That Boyd's might be an option, though - looks good; did accuracy improve, how is it mounted/bedded, and did it add much weight to that sweet-handling little LV? Also see you changed bolt handle, and possibly firing-pin assembly (or maybe Rem. doesn't do that stupid "J-lock" over there?)
noosegun
.204 Ruger Guns: remy .204

Post by noosegun »

hi bunny shooter good to hear that the irish end is on this great forum have been looking through it and some great info and pics, i have the remy 700 in VS SF with a Schmidt & Bender PM2 scope and T4 Moderator up front, will get some pics uploaded soon iam thinking of reloading some rounds in the near future so will be looking loads of info of all you guys to get me off to a good start
bunny shooter

Post by bunny shooter »

RowdyYates wrote:Thanks for the pic., Bunny Shooter. I just picked upa second LVSF (.221FB) to go with my .204. Blew my re-stocking budget in the process; might just have 'em camo'd by Bell & Carlson, only 70 bucks ea., as they shoot suprisingly well as they are. That Boyd's might be an option, though - looks good; did accuracy improve, how is it mounted/bedded, and did it add much weight to that sweet-handling little LV? Also see you changed bolt handle, and possibly firing-pin assembly (or maybe Rem. doesn't do that stupid "J-lock" over there?)
Haven't fired it since I changed the stock :(

Added a bit more weight to the LVSF but it's really well balanced

I bought it s/H and the previous owner had the bolt handle done.

Haven't seen a "J-Lock" Rem. in a while here.
Last edited by bunny shooter on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bunny shooter

Post by bunny shooter »

noosegun wrote:hi bunny shooter good to hear that the irish end is on this great forum have been looking through it and some great info and pics, i have the remy 700 in VS SF with a Schmidt & Bender PM2 scope and T4 Moderator up front, will get some pics uploaded soon iam thinking of reloading some rounds in the near future so will be looking loads of info of all you guys to get me off to a good start
Sweet setup you have but a bit heavy for what I want. Had a VSSF in .220 Swift previously and found it very heavy for foxing on the move.
Ctrimfire
.204 Ruger Guns: Dakota

Post by Ctrimfire »

I live in Connecticut. I shoot shotguns, rifles and handguns. I shoot a lot of rimfire. I am just getting into small caliber centerfire. I just bought a used Anschutz 22 hornet and have a Dakota Predator 221 fireball on order. I want to get a 204 also, maybe Dakota or Cooper. Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Jack
noosegun
.204 Ruger Guns: remy .204

Post by noosegun »

hi bunny shooter the vssf is a heavy rifle when kitted out, in these parts we tend to leave the moving to a mechanical means or else bring my son along, hope he dosnt read this post lol
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

Hello Everyone,GTOHunter from Southeast Missouri here!I learned about Your .204Ruger Site from a friend on our Deer Hunting Site and decide to join.I have shot at and Hunted Coyotes for many years but it was mostly out of luck when I came across them but in the last few years it has become a hobby and obsession to call them in or just sit out and wait for them! am an avid Deer Hunter with a Rifle and Bow and have really got into the whole aspect of actually Calling Coyote's in with my Partner and specifically going out to Hunt them.Currently I don't have a .204 Ruger Rifle but I have been considering buying the CZ-USA 527 American,I also recently tried out a close Family Members Savage Model 110 Bull Barrel in a .204 and was thinking about buying it....I just don't know if I care for the heaviness of the Bull Barrel Rifle? :chin:

Oh yeah..I'm married with a lovely Wife for the past 28 years and have 2 Daughters that keep Us busy with misc Sports,Activities and now with their desires to learn how to drive and chase after Boys! :roll: :eew: :wall:

I love working on my Old Pontiacs and have been buying,selling and collecting parts for over 30 years now.I'm mostly into the 1969 GTO's,LeMans and Tempest but have several different Years,makes and models of Pontiacs from 1966 to 1972....since I Love to mess with my GTO's and Hunt thus the name GTOHunter seemed fitting for me!I've been lurking on Your Site waiting for clearance to join and become a Member and have read some really great stories and got some awesome information about the .204 and how to be better at Predator/Varmint Hunting. :D