building a custom 204, help wanted

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
mcseal2
.204 Ruger Guns: building one

building a custom 204, help wanted

Post by mcseal2 »

I have a Ruger M77 223 with a shot out barrel and a Timney trigger. I want to build a 204 off that action for coyotes and cats to shoot the 39-40gr bullets. Here is what I am planning and would welcome any input.

Pac-Nor 22-24" #3 contour stainless barrel with a 1 in 10 twist. I would have the barrel and action sent off to have a non-reflective tan finish applied
-about how much velocity would I lose with a 22" barrel compared to a 24" barrel?

Stockystocks Tundra laminate thumbhole stock devcon pillar bedded and floated in a buckskin color (brown on brown)

I hunt in KS where the brown would blend in best with the dead grass I call in.

Thanks for your help
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: building a custom 204, help wanted

Post by Ray P »

mcseal2.........Way to go with Pac-Nor. I'd only suggest and 11 twist for the bullet weight you mentioned. Hit RIO with a pm he has one in 11 twist. RIO might even jump in and post some info.
Hope this help a little.
Later
Ray P.
P.S. Welcome to the site. Great bunch here!! So ask away.
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

mcseal2: I agree with Ray. If you want to shoot the 39SBK and the 40's, go with an 11 twist in the 204R. I built my custom M700 using a Pac-Nor SS Super Match 11-twist, 3-groove barrel, Rem Varmint contour, 24" length, 11* target crown, and used my tight neck custom reamer that gives a .230" neck so you can use factory WW or R-P brass without neck turning (H-S Precison stock, Jewell trigger, Lupy 6.5-20X LR M1). With this chamber, I can seat my bullets to touch the lands if wanted, but this rifle so chambered cannot shoot factory ammo (no big deal, I have not shot a factory CF rifle round in over 30 years :D ).

The rifle shoots my 39SBK or 40grBT load in the mid .2's, and is effective on targets as small as ground squirrels just past 500 yards. Below is "The Silver Princess of Death", affectionately named after her first field outing:

The 11* target crown from Pac-Nor: (Try the tan Cerrakote coating for your new barrel)

Pacific Tool & Gauge made the reamer to my specs, even supplied a seating/neck gauge made from my barrel stub:

No problem with velocity either, I promise. Let's just say my 11 twist 24" "goes fast and gets it done". :D But if you really want to know the velocity loss with a 22" tube, go over to Bullberry's site, he's got a 204 comparison chart there showing just that.

http://www.bullberry.com/204Rugerdata.html

Welcome to the site.....let us know how it ends up.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

mcseal2

Post by mcseal2 »

I checked out the Bulberry comparison, I think I will go 22 or 23". I want to keep the rifle as short and handy as possible without giving up much velocity. 22" doesn't look to lose much in this chambering. I have 243 I'm re-barreling to 6mm Rem that is identical to this 204 plan except for a 24" Kreiger barrel. I thought if I had the pair of matching rifles and my 12 gauge I would be well covered for any size varmint under most conditions. I became real interested in the 204 when I saw that the BC of the 39gr Blitzking and 40gr Vmax are higher than any 55gr 22cal. Wind is often strong in my area which is why I shoot the 6mm so much.

What weight bullet would the 1 in 10 be best for? If there is a heavier higher BC bullet it may work even better for what I want.

Looks like you have a sweet set up Rick, I have a 6.5x20 VXIII waiting for mine. I may put it on the 6mm though and put my 4.5x14 on the 204 for calling. I shoot alot and don't have much trouble finding a target in the scope though, the 3/4" 6x cheapo scope I had on my pellet rifle and first 22 saw to that.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

If You go to Berger Bullets web site and clik on store, then the bullet you are interested in. Yhey will give you the recomended twist rate. They also have a free ballistics calculator that you can download. It enables you to enter in bullet grains Caliber and coefficant stated. The program will give you expected bullet drop and wind deflection. Based on wind speed you enter as well. It gives instant calc. from 100 to 1000 yrds. Also shows velocity and expected impact force. This is a very handy program and simple to use. Best part is it is free! Oh and I beleive one in ten is rec. for up to 45 grain. 1 in 9 for up to 50 grain. I shoot a 1 in 9 and it shoots every bullet I have put through it exceptional. The 26 grain Varmit Grenade even shot in the 3s, and it is a AR 15! Of course this is after much expermentation with correct powder charge!
mcseal2

Post by mcseal2 »

Valar wrote:If You go to Berger Bullets web site and clik on store, then the bullet you are interested in. Yhey will give you the recomended twist rate. They also have a free ballistics calculator that you can download. It enables you to enter in bullet grains Caliber and coefficant stated. The program will give you expected bullet drop and wind deflection. Based on wind speed you enter as well. It gives instant calc. from 100 to 1000 yrds. Also shows velocity and expected impact force. This is a very handy program and simple to use. Best part is it is free! Oh and I beleive one in ten is rec. for up to 45 grain. 1 in 9 for up to 50 grain. I shoot a 1 in 9 and it shoots every bullet I have put through it exceptional. The 26 grain Varmit Grenade even shot in the 3s, and it is a AR 15! Of course this is after much expermentation with correct powder charge!
I have that program on my computer and have used it for a couple years, I like it. I bought Bryan Litz's book on applied ballistics and the program came with it on a CD. I think you are right on the twist rates. I don't see myself using 50gr bullets, if I want more punch I will shoot the 6mm, but I think the 39-40's at good speed will be wicked. One of the main reasons I want this rifle is that I think I will be able to watch hits in the scope at 14x, and that sounds like lots of fun. The 6mm's I like the performance of don't work for that.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

You will definatley see the hits, at least up to forty grainers. I am shooting home defense rifle so it has a recoil buffer. This gun kicks softer than my Beeman gs 1000 pelletGun! I love the 204 and accuracy is amazing compared to my light barrel 22-250 bolt gun. I am sure when you find your pet load you shall love yours too!
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

I shoot a 1:8.5" twist Pac-Nor in .204 Ruger and it shoots everything from the 26 grain Barnes V.G. to the 50 grain Berger HPBT way down in the .2's and .3's. So don't worry about going too fast with the twist. My buddy tells me about the fellow that works for a major precision shooting supply house that shoots .224 bullets in benchrest cartridges with a 1:5" twist! People have trouble with some 40 grainers because the 1:12" twist is just too dang slow. The 24" barrel is my favorite - but I don't walk around with a 14 pound rifle either.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

If velocity matters to you, you may want to keep in mind that in most calibers you will lose some fps by going with a much faster twist than what that specific bullet requires. A 39 SBK in a 1:8 twist will shoot slower than a 39SBK in a 1:12 twist barrel all things being equal. Just a thought.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
mcseal2

Post by mcseal2 »

I am more concerned with accuracy than velocity, but want to keep it as high as I can without losing accuracy. I just got the barrel broke in on my new 6mm with the Kreiger and I am getting 1/2 to 3/4" groups with my first experimental load. After handling the 24" barrel I think I will go with a 22" on the 204. It doesn't look like I will lose enough velocity to make the longer barrel worth it to me. The short barrel is just to handy, and short stiff barrels have been very accurate for me. I can't wait to be able to watch bullets hit in the scope, that sounds like way to much fun.
mcseal2

Post by mcseal2 »

I got a barrel ordered, a Pac-Nor stainless #3 contour blank with 1 in 10 twist. I've never shot a 204 before, and after a little more research I decided to go with a 10 twist instead of 11 in case I want to go to a heavier bullet for predators. I figured I might get by with the 45 or 50gr bullets with a 10 twist if I don't feel like the 39-40gr bullets hit hard enough. I still plan to start with them though, with good shot placement they should work fine I think.