Any gun smiths need help

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
my204custom
.204 Ruger Guns: Pac-Nor 204 custom

Any gun smiths need help

Post by my204custom »

my dad an I are looking to build another rifle an you guns seen the FN 5.7x28 handgun-- we want to make that Caliber an make it a rifle-- were not sure what action to use or what action would work for it cause it is such a small bullet--- can anyone help or have there input on this?

thanks

sean
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Any gun smiths need help

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Small caliber wildcats on that case have been discussed at length over on saubier.com

So far, it's been wildcatted to .17 and .20 besides it's factory diameter, probably more versions coming all the time from experimenters all over the country. There are much better small caliber cases for interesting conversions though, as this particular case really lacks any significant capacity for any meaningful ballistic performance over the factory chambering. You'd be served just as well or better building a wildcat rifle on the 221 FB case. JMO
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Savage will be making the M25 available in 5.7x28 this year, along with some other little bitty stuff, according to a post or two I've seen on them. The M25 is a repeater, too, if that matters any. It's somewhat similar to the M40 Hornet, but it's available in several variations.

I looked at that cartridge pretty hard awhile back, and at least in .22, it didn't offer much, a 40gr. at 2000fps, give or take a few FPS. There are some hardy souls who've necked it to .17 and .20, for some added ooomph, but I question whether or not it's worth the trouble. It's more like a reloadable .22 WMR than anything else.

I reckon it would be fun, though, and I know the .17 Velociraptor, as it's called, is doing yeoman's work somewhere in south Missouri, killing groundhogs and the odd coyote and bobcat, and lots of crows.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I agree with Rick's statement. You are really better off looking into the 20 VT if you want a small to medium sized 20 caliber cartridge. The .221 Fireball based cartridges are really excellent. The provide you with accuracy, great speed for the amount of powder, they are economic, and less noise if you are shooting in populated areas, ect.