Remington pps

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
adam

Remington pps

Post by adam »

Hi all.
Not a .204 question sorry but your the only forum I trust for good advice.
My local gun shop has a Remington 700 pps in stock. Its in .243 calibre which according to him is a special order because it is only normally offered in .223 and .308.
Apparently it is only 6 or 7 months old and looking at the bolt races I would say has shot no more than 200 or 300 rounds. There are a couple of small marks on it but generally in good nick. It has a heavy barrel on it and sits in a H-S precission stock and finished in a sort of matt grey green colour. Its also threaded for a moderator.
Basically has any one owned one in this calibre or any other calibre?
And whats the general feeling about them?
Many thanks in advance,
Adam.
' Your here for a good time, not a long time'
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Remington pps

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Adam, your dealer may be correct, in that I was under the impression they were only available in those two calibers (308W & 223R). I've got one in .308W and it shoots Federal Premium Match 168gr ammo into .25" to .38" all day at 100 yds. With a bipod, the combination will hit head-sized targets at 600 yards with regularity. I shot an unlucky coyote with mine at a lasered 568 yards a few years ago....one shot, DRT.

Can't speak for one in .243W, but it's built on the very accurate M700 platform with a very good stock (which still needs glass bedding, even though it's got the alloy bedding block....experience has proven this.) I'd say it should be a very accurate rifle as long as the bore/throat looks as good as you say.

Does it have two QD studs on the forearm?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

adam

Post by adam »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Adam, your dealer may be correct, in that I was under the impression they were only available in those two calibers (308W & 223R). I've got one in .308W and it shoots Federal Premium Match 168gr ammo into .25" to .38" all day at 100 yds. With a bipod, the combination will hit head-sized targets at 600 yards with regularity. I shot an unlucky coyote with mine at a lasered 568 yards a few years ago....one shot, DRT.

Can't speak for one in .243W, but it's built on the very accurate M700 platform with a very good stock (which still needs glass bedding, even though it's got the alloy bedding block....experience has proven this.) I'd say it should be a very accurate rifle as long as the bore/throat looks as good as you say.

Does it have two QD studs on the forearm?
Thanks for your reply RIO.

Yes it has two QD studs on the forearm.
Does that say something?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Adam, the two QD studs removes any doubt that it is indeed the PSS model, and not just a varmint or other M700 variation.

Good find! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

adam

Post by adam »

Thats good news. Thankyou for your help :D :D :D
scootertrash

Post by scootertrash »

I have used a couple PSS rifles, both chambered in .223 as donor rifles for other builds. I'm not a fan of tupperware stocks, and the palm swell on them always seemed to big for my liking.

That said, I'm not much help with your question, as I threw the barrels away, and sold the stocks almost immediately after receiving the rifle. But if it's something you like, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Mike
Factory Custom
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Adam, I have a 700 SPS Tactical with a HS stock and a 20" barrel in .223 and while not your PSS, it is a tack driver.... at least as well as I can shoot it..... mine sports a Burris Black Diamond 8-32x scope that helps my old eyes....

This is one of several 1.25" 200 yard groups that mine has produced, and I'd love to have one in a .243...

AR
Factory/Factory