to use or not use a boresnake

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

to use or not use a boresnake

Post by ryutzy »

I know there are a lot of opinions on cleaning a barrel. I have a boresnake for my .204. I also occasionally just use patches. I use Butch's Bore Shine and I love it. I then finish up with a super light film of oil. I shoot a fouler before I hunt or shoot targets. Now back to my real question, why or why not use a boresnake? I would like some opinions with reasons. :D
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: to use or not use a boresnake

Post by Wrangler John »

Okay, I'll make a run at it. Using a bore snake is a good option in a field situation, where they are handy and easily transported. The drawback I see is that unless they can be cleaned, they pull ever more dirt back through the barrel each time. Using a quality rod, bore guide, jag and patches removes any fouling and disposes of it rather than pulling it back through the bore with each pass. Which is why it's recommended to use a patch in one direction only and let it fall off the jag at the muzzle.

Butch's Bore Shine is a good solvent, I have a quart of it on my bench, along with Barnes CR-10, Shooter's Choice, BoreTech's Benchrest Blend, some Wipe Out that takes two days, seven hours and three minutes to work, some other stuff called Blue Wonder that truly was a mistake, Sweet's 7.62 Copper Remover, Hollands Copper Remover, Remington's Bore Cleaner, and J-B Bore Paste and Bore Brite, and a big old spray can of KROIL. They all work more or less, but these days I have been using BoreTech's Eliminator, CU+2 Copper Remover and C4 Carbon Remover. I clean with each product in the order listed until the bore is clean. I also use Brownell's Square Cross-Locked Patches, and BoreTech's Proof Positive jags and nylon brushes. When using the BoreTech products, or any solvent really, wear gloves as that stuff will strip the fat out of your finger tips faster than hexane, leaving rough raw skin.

I hate cleaning rifles, coiling up hoses and extension cords, and cleaning paint brushes. I really hate cleaning rifles. :)
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I am a big fan of using the boresnake's in the field as noted above. However i always give my rifles a good cleaning with rod, patches, and a good copper/fouling remover when i get home.
cracker

Post by cracker »

I used to use them and liked them for a fast clean at the range. Then I read somewhere that they have been known to break in the barrel and they are impossible to remove. If this is true or not I dont know, but I quit using them
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Thanks guys for the replys. If I clean with the boresnake I run a patch or two of Butch's Bore Shine through the bore first then use the boresnake. I do wash my boresnake every couple of cleanings to minimize pulling old dirt through.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable