first Crow with new rifle!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Neil S.
.204 Ruger Guns: none

first Crow with new rifle!

Post by Neil S. »

Hey all! I've posted here a few times and am a frequent visitor of the site. Of you have helped me with some reloading issues and I finally have a load worked up that gives decent accuracy! Anyways, this morning I got up, ate breakfast, and was going to start organizing some things for the move back to college this weekend when I noticed some black dots over by the pond. (I am fortunate enough to have parents who own a 190 acre farm/orchard with plenty of space for shooting :D ). So I got out my rangefinder and savage 12FV, attached my new Harris S-25c bypod, and stepped outside. To my supprise the crows paid no attention (they are usually very alert while around our house with me and my brother around....). I sat down with my back against the house and ranged a couple of birds at 250 yards, and noticed that there was hardly any wind. I know that my round drops 4-5 inches at 300, so I waited for one to present itself, aimed maybe half an inch over its head and triped the trigger. After the rest flew off all I could see was a large black feather sticking out of the grass. My brother immediatly came out and we hopped in the truck to check it out.......
and the exit wound.....
I lazed back to the house, 241 yards! That may not be very far for you rat shooters out t here, but I was tickeled. Farthest kill to date! I found this piece of its wing about 10 yards away:
This truly is a great round and rifle! Can't wait to take some coyotes with it this winter!
Neil S.
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: first Crow with new rifle!

Post by Neil S. »

O and I almost forgot. Round was a 39 BK, win preped case, 25.1 gr. RL-10x, and rem 7 1/2 primer.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Neil, 241 yards on a crow is a fine shot! We rat shooters brag about shots from 10 feet to 600 yards! On the flip side I can't say in mixed company what we say to each other when we miss the "easy" shots! :lol: Thanks for the post! Gary
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Captqc wrote:On the flip side I can't say in mixed company what we say to each other when we miss the "easy" shots! :lol: Thanks for the post! Gary
Hey Gary, all of us rat shooters know that we never miss the "easy shots" :lol:! Say less than 300 yards :eek: Ya right!

Great shooting Neil.
For some reason, birds are way harder to hit than skippy, at least for me. Gary knows how much I like shooting crows and magpies! :lol:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ha! I can think of more than one lucky magpie that has an interesting crease in their feathers in various places on their feathery bodies, the creases are always about .204" or .224" wide. Some of those little buggers acutually can "feel" crosshairs, I swear! The actual body/target mass is about 1.5" square me thinks.

'Course, I can also think of some black and white "feather showers", left over from some very memorable direct hits. The best effect is the two wings floating down through the air, criss-crossing all the way to the ground when said flying rat is shot from a tree at range with a poly-tip. Great effects! :lol: Gads, I love high velocity bullets! ;)

Neil: Nice work with the new rifle! Now baptised in varmint blood, it should now serve you well. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

assailant
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 .204Ruger

Post by assailant »

oh thats just brilliant! i am still hanging out to shoot a crow... horrible beasts. good job