Where are all the Tikka's in 204 Ruger.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Bayou City Boy

Re: Where are all the Tikka's in 204 Ruger.

Post by Bayou City Boy »

There isn't enough plastic and miracles available to dress up some Plain Janes - including the one lady's picture and a Tikka rifle.

I've owned Tikka rifles for ~ 10 years - several pre-T-3 models - and I've never had a single problem with any broken bolt shrouds or other parts on them or on current production T-3 models. And they don't get easy treatment. As for the classy thumbhole stock, that is purely a shooter preference.

I've owned one thumbhole - years ago - and the butt stock is laying somewhere on a hill side in the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming. Fortunately I had a back-up rifle to keep me going.

Beyond that, about all I can say is never buy a Cooper. I've just recently heard that they are all junk and I'm headed out the door now with several gun cases hoping to recover a few dollars and my dignity... :lol: YMMV.....

And for me, even though I have long been a Tikka fan, in my eyes they are not heirlooms by any stretch of the imagination... They shoot well for what you pay for them, but you get what you pay for in looks. JMO......

-BCB
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Sam.. I also would like a follower. I'll let you know the next time I see him.

BCB. Sorry to ruffle your feathers bud. You seem to be taking it pretty hard. Just keep laughing and ignoring the facts and you'll be fine. Hmmm... Can't seem to find where anybody said "don't buy a Cooper". I don't think I broke any laws saying I like MY T3 Tac better than MY Cooper. Did I??? YOU pushed me to educate the internet with the truth and give fellow rifleman a heads up when fondling Coopers.That's all, nothing more, nothing less. Then they can make their own decision whether to buy or not. I'm sure some nice ones are out there. But just like every other mass produced rifle,so are the duds. As for sending it back to Cooper, It's just not going to happen unless I get my money back. I'd rather pay a competent gunsmith to bring it up to par then let them hack on it. The point is that the three dozen or so that I played with DON'T live up to the HYPE on this forum. PERIOD!!! Sorry I posted MY experiences that didn't fit the template
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

You're not ruffling my feathers, dude.... Actually, I'm amused that your one experience makes all Cooper rifles bad and that you now feel qualified to educate the internet of that fact. You own that one, champ. Don't blame me for your need to "educate the internet with the truth and give fellow rifleman a heads up when fondling Coopers". Cooper can't make it right if you take your rifle and go into a corner and pout as you seem to be doing. You really should try their customer service again since you feel you were robbed the first time. Maybe try nice phone etiquette this time, too.... :lol: (PM me if you have questions on that one....)

Just an FYI: Based on the e-mails I've received the past day or so, you're amusing a lot of people with your "Coopers are crap" diatribe. I hope I got this posted with no need to edit it for spelling or anything like that. IIRC, that's one of your pet peeves that also sets you off easily...

Hang in there, dude.... :wink: I bet you can trade the baddy Cooper for a couple of new Tikkas... I would imagine you'll really be PO'ed if you try to trade the Tikka on anything more expensive than a cheap scope. Their trade value in most places is kinda' like a Savage...

-BCB
WI3Der
.204 Ruger Guns: cz 527

Post by WI3Der »

Joe, you may be SOL. A friend was trying to get a Super Varmint in 223 after handling mine and was told they are no longer imported here! I believe he was also told they quit importing the stainless Varmint. He ended up finding a Super Varmint in 22-250 but commented that all the stainless heavy barreled Tikkas were drying up. If you are ok with a stainless Varmint in 204 i would have Scheels check their stores as that is the only place i have seen a T3 Varmint in 204. Ya know, they make these in 6.5x55, i have been trying to figure out how to get my hands on one! Beretta's marketing department has gotta be a joke!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

W13Der
I've already come to that conclusion. Just ordered another T3 Tactical. Mainly because I wanted another Tac stock. It'll be getting a 24 inch Krieger barrel in .204. The final cost looks to be close to the Super Varmint. I tried calling Beretta last tuesday. Not a easy task. Thanks.

Hal,
Sorry to keep you waiting. Glad to see your enjoying this as much as us on this end. If you want to personally attack me, MAN UP and do it in person! (OOPS, I forgot, Skipper tried that and you declined.) Don't hide behind your keyboard making FALSE accusations. Please quote me where I said Coopers are junk? I just can't seem to locate that. If you would just get your nose out of the air long enough to READ each posts. You might make some sense and stop putting words in my mouth. Once agian, I own one and fondled dozens of new Cooper rifles (Meaning 24+), Hoping to see what all the hype is about on this forum and this forum only. Not sure about you but that's enough for me to know what to expect in a Cooper. Stunning looks,Some had plane Jane wood with very little grain, great barrel and trigger, clunky bolts. Why you have a problem with that is beyond me. Sorry to give you more bad news but I ordered another T3 tactical today. I hope it's ok with you.... I'll tell you what, I'll go out on a limb here and offer you my Cooper MV for $200 less than I paid. That is if your willing to put your money where your mouth is. The rifle looks like it just left the factory. No dings,dents or scratches! Picked it up last December.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

woody
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps stainless

Post by woody »

was looking at buying one here in the uk but there is a 6 to 9 month waiting list for one in 204 calibre :( apparently tikka reckon that this calibre wont go any where thats why they only make them to order!! can buy the t3 varmint for just under £900.00 here!!personally i dont like the look of them they look tacky plastic jobs lol!!although they are super accurate out the box!!the bolt is really nice and very smooth to operate compared to other rifles!!prefer the look of my remmy sps when i looked at them together!!
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

Hal, take Mikes offer. I think you will both be happy and end this one. Wow guys, everyone would not have the same opinion, even if was the very same rifle to critique. These comments about rifles aren't personal, so don't take them personal. Oh, the subject of the post...I have one of those 204s (ss T3 varmint) in my vault, from Scheels 2 years ago, it was $100 less than the sporter versions (Des Moines), maybe little demand for varmint rigs there????
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Nothing was taken personal except the comment about my "phone etiquette" needing some schooling. And once again,nothing could be further from the truth :roll: . Once I got the special order rifle home, I cleaned it,lubed the lugs, and proceeded to walk out my back door and fire the first of many break in shots only to discover I couldn't close the bolt on a round. I stepped back into my house to call Cooper and inform them of the first known issue. They instructed me to send the bolt back. 10 minutes later I was on my way to the post office. After the bolt issue was resolved is when the other quality issues started to show their ugly face. And Cooper has NOT been contacted since. Like the old saying goes. "If you want something done right, do it yourself". Aint that the truth!! I'm sure we can all agree that a $1700 semi-custom rifle should NEVER make it out the door with some of the obvious issues I've listed and shown. :chin:

Sam
The Thumbhole stock you posted looks identical to the Boyd's on my custom Savage. I like thumbhole stocks except when using a rear bag. With the stock sides that ride in the bag being uneven from the thumbhole cutout, Mine tends to kick to the right when fired. This is my 300 yard prone match rifle in .223 with a McGowen 24 inch 8 twist Wylde chamber barrel. So far this year she has 2 wins a second and a third :wink: . In two weeks I should have some answers on the mag follower. I'll PM you and post my findings here if anybody else is interested.

Hawkeye Joe (Mike)