lapping rings

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

lapping rings

Post by Clint E »

This is not a stupid question because i asked it stupid is when you dont ask.I have heard guys talk about lapping the rings. How do you do it and what does it correct i am guessing it for perfect alingmet?
The reseson i am asking is on a rifle i own the rear ring loop is off a little.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Re: lapping rings

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

If your rings have machining imperfections, little ridges, lips, bumps and the like, those flaws can cause tiny bending forces in your scope's tube, which affects the stability of the mount and the alignment of the optics. They make lapping bars which are steel rods with (allegedly) perfectly machined sides that are long enough to rest in both rings at the same time. You coat the inner face of the rings with lapping compound and spin the bar, which polishes off all those blemishes. Or that's the general gist of it; directions vary a bit from one lapping bar to another.

As for aligning the rings, IMHO, this is the tool of choice:

There are no stupid questions (but there sure are an awful lot of curious idiots). :lol:
Clint E

Post by Clint E »

Fred were do you find those at . Would a place like Midwayusa or mid south have them who makes them.
I am nowhere near a gunsmith of that sorts i just know my scope doesnt set right in the rings. I just dont want to have problems in the future and screw up a good shot.I may just have a bad set of rings .

You are right ther are a bunch of curios idiots out there some times it me thats why i ask :lol: :lol: find out the what to do before a mistake has been made.
larr
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 lrpv

Post by larr »

here you go try these: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=227261

i have this set and it works great.
Ruger1
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 LRPV

Post by Ruger1 »

I agree on the alignment tool. One kit comes with lapping rod too. Add a level, level, level kit to the tools and a decent torque wrench and you are set. Assuming you have a place to lock your rifle down to keep it square and vertical. Made all my scope work much easier.
Clint E

Post by Clint E »

Thanks for the help i get them ordered and see if that fixes the problem.
If it doesnt well i will have another tool to play with