Where are all the Tikka's in 204 Ruger.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Bayou City Boy

Re: Where are all the Tikka's in 204 Ruger.

Post by Bayou City Boy »

I own several of the T-3 Lites for ranch duty, and the stock on them is not wimpy or flexible. Unlike some of the other plastic stocked guns on the market today, it takes quite a bit of pressure to force the stock to flex even close to the barrel. Unless you park your truck on it, it won't be a problem in normal or even rough country hunting conditions.

The Tikka's are a good value in a no-frills hunting rifle.

JMO - BCB
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

BCB, Could the lite stock be the same as my Tac without the wide forend cap and cheek piece. If it is, where's the $1200 in goodies on the super Varmint. The stock was the one thing that worried me about forking over the cash for the T3 Tac last year. Boy was I wrong, It's one solid foundation! Also, does the action,barrel and trigger quality of the lites match that of the higher price models??
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Sam in Perth
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x42

Post by Sam in Perth »

Hi Mike,

I posted the info below a while ago, but it is still relevant and I think confirms some of your comments. In hindsight I would get the super varmint for the adjustable cheek piece, I would be more comfortable with it. The stock is "plasticy", but it is also very stiff and I don't think a better stock would improve the accuracy of the rifle.

I am a big fan of the Tikka because it is great value. I think you might like it for the same reasons I do - a smooth tight action and great accuracy.

Good luck getting hold of one. I can't understand why they would not be available in the US. You guys can get 1000's of products that aren't available in OZ, why would we get one that you can't?

Cheers,

Sam

I bought a Tikka T3 Varmint SS in .204 in May 2009 and have put about 500 rounds through it. A very useful rifle review (.22/250 calibre though) can be found at the link below.

http://ausvarmint.com/av/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=28

A couple of comments to add:
-The action is VERY smooth, and the general fit and finish is excellent.
-The stock is very plasticky and makes a "twang" sound when fired, but I have actually come to like the sound. It is nothing but utilitarian and keeps the cost of the package down. I had a budget of AUD$1,500 and was much happier to buy $1,400 worth of action and barrel than have a pretty stock.
-You can't load the magazine through the ejection port and it is nearly impossible to individually feed the little .204 rounds, which means you are slave to the magazine length of 2.288" for the COAL.
-The rifle is heavy and weighted towards the front.
-I can't fault the trigger, it's great.
-With mine, the optilock mounts came with the rifle from the factory (no additional expense)

That is all the dirty laundry I can air on this rifle. But the most important point is that it really shoots. Mine loves the 40 gr Vmax and even though I only shoot off a bipod, 5 shot groups average out between .4 and .5". I'm sure it could do better off a bench with careful load development, but I'd rather park myself 200 m from a rabbit warren, and listen to the "twang", "thwock" sound combination.
Sam

Tikka T3 Varmint - Bushnell 4200 6-24x42 Mil Dot
Winchester 9422
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Supposedly Sako and Tikka rifles have the very same barrels with the only difference being the name that is roll stamped on them. They use triggers that are completely interchangeable between the two makes of rifles and they are both lawyer proof by being easily adjustable by the user. The ones I have were all in the range of ~2.5 pounds direct from the box, and they all break like glass.

The only real difference besides the stocks is with the actions. The current Sako uses a lighter action with larger cutouts for the magazine and ejection port and a 3 lug bolt. The Tikka action is a "one size fits all" design and is beefier than the standard Sako action, but it seems to be a very sturdy and accurate action. And bolt travel is extremely smooth...

The one thing that I wondered about when I bought the first Tikka T-3 was the "slide-in" recoil lug which is separate from the action and slides into a dove tail groove cut into the bottom of the action. With the overall accuracy of the T-3 rifles, it does not seem to be a problem worth worrying about. The Plastic trigger guard and magazine on the Tikkas are actually a very tough space-age Delrin plastic that is practically indestructible.

On the ones I have, I have attached Weaver style scope bases and Millet scope rings as the Tikka receivers are drilled to accept them. The receiver is also grooved for the supplied scope rings. I have never used the supplied scope rings as I do not like the straight grooved receiver concept for a CF rifles with recoil.

Overall, a Tikka T-3 will probably never win any beauty contests, but as I said earlier, they are very functional and accurate rifles that will take a lot of abuse. I definitely like the ones I have. YMMV.....

I also own an earlier Tikka Model 595 and it too is an excellent shooter. The earlier rifles came in two action lengths depending on cartridge length much like Remington 700's.

JMO - BCB
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Thanks for the information. Although I think the stock deserves a little more credit than given. The adjustability for different shooting positions is a HUGE plus for me. Anybody do a rebarrel yet? I assume with the proper tools and equipment it should be no more difficult than a Remington.

Sam, A friend has a single shot follower that fits in the T3 magazine. Just slide it in like a round and install mag in rifle. He feeds 75 grain Amax .223 bullets with a long OAL. For that reason alone, I think it would single feed a long 204 round without any problems. I'll see what I can dig up. Might not see him till next months shoot though.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Hawkeye Joe wrote:Thanks for the information. Although I think the stock deserves a little more credit than given.
What more would you like for me to say...?

As I stated several times, a Tikka is a very good investment in an accurate, utilitarian hunting rifle.

-BCB
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

BCB, That was just a general statement and not directed towards you. Your findings are very similar to mine. We're just looking at two different rifles. But now that you mention it, I feel the T3 Tactical stock is a big step above most plastic "utilitarian hunting" stocks. That's why I'll probably do a Krieger barrel in 204 on a Tac rifle. And by the looks of it, It might be cheaper than a Super Varmint (if I could get one).Thanks for your input. :D
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

And my comment was directed to say that the T-3 hunting rifle stock also "is a big step above most plastic "utilitarian hunting" stocks" found on similarly priced rifles... Yet none of the entire T-3 rifle line is in the category of prized possessions or beauty contest winners you would likely hand down for generations like some rifles are.

JMO.... YMMV.

-BCB
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Ahhh.. That's where your wrong my friend. In my case, BEAUTY is in the eye of the scorer!
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Hawkeye Joe wrote:Ahhh.. That's where your wrong my friend. In my case, BEAUTY is in the eye of the scorer!
YOU maybe need to buy a rifle or two that looks good and also shoots well. Then those that look "Plain Jane" and shoot well become utilitarian rifles worth about what you paid for them....

JMO - BCB
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bayou City Boy wrote:YOU maybe need to buy a rifle or two that looks good and also shoots well. Then those that look "Plain Jane" and shoot well become utilitarian rifles worth about what you paid for them....JMO - BCB
Can you say "Cooper"?......... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Rick in Oregon wrote:
Bayou City Boy wrote:YOU maybe need to buy a rifle or two that looks good and also shoots well. Then those that look "Plain Jane" and shoot well become utilitarian rifles worth about what you paid for them....JMO - BCB
That would be a good start... or a Dakota, or a Kimber of Oregon proven shooter for semi-customs, or even something along these lines and beyond...

http://www.empirerifles.com/

Any of these and many other choices make a Plain Jane $500 shooter just that and nothing more... I guess it goes back to those two ladies I posted pics of here several weeks ago...

http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&start=15

Again, JMO - BCB
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Bayou City Boy wrote:
Rick in Oregon wrote:
That would be a good start... or a Dakota, or a Kimber of Oregon proven shooter for semi-customs, or even something along these lines and beyond...

Again, JMO - BCB

Did that ..Done that...Some Many times.... Let me refresh your memory.Here's my Cooper experience. Maybe the pictures will help. I know it's not popular to do this here but Here's what I waited a year for..1) A spelling error??.. 2) A bolt that hangs up on the loading port because of sloppy machining??.. 3) Barrel not centered??.. 4) And to top it off, a bolt that wouldn't close on a round because of a missing chamfer on the extractor. If they shot my rifle, how did they not catch that??? I did send the bolt back and they just sanded or ground a big chamfer/radius on it. Looks like 80 grit was used. It's still hard to engage but at least it works.. 5) I'm also not to fond of the primer being able flow into the ejector hole??? That's a issue I never saw before. Being a life long professional machinist/plant supervisor of one of the top growing company's in NY, I know a few things about Quality and Craftsmanship. And no, my dad"s not the CEO. I earned my stripes. To me a Cooper is like a BMW that handles like a AMC Pacer. The proofs in the pudding! I would love to show you guys in person so I could see your jaws hit the floor. It's obvious every rifle differs from one another with our different opinions. So we're just gonna have to agree to disagree. I was told to stay away from Cooper by a retired gunsmith, and by the looks of my first experience, should of listened. "They aint what the used to be" He'd say. And like I said before. I've cycled close to 30 different Coopers including the 22 lr benchrest model since my purchase. And none of them were close to being smooth. Rick and BCB, Here's a funny one. Just imagine if you got old and senile and purchased your first Savage with the above issues :muffy: (Told ya it was funny). Coopers have the same issues any other factory rifle has. Sorry if I offended anyone driving a AMC Pacer. The post was NOT meant to be hurtful, just informative. Does anybody else wonder why Cooper doesn't say what yardage the test targets were shot at? Why the mystery?? All other test targets that came with QUALITY rifles I own tell the yardage and most have two five shot groups on one sheet of paper :chin: .

Here's the pro's of my Cooper Model 22 Montana Varminter. It's stunning to look at from 10 feet away. Barrel cleans up easy with little to no copper. Action and barrel finish are flawless. Even the stampings are smooth and burr free. Accuracy is excellent.Only a few more than 55 rounds down the pipe. Shot my best 5 shot group ever in the prone position with sling at 300 yards. It was about .700 center to center(probably got lucky). Trigger is very good(still at factory setting) but I like the Tikka's better with the thin design. If Cooper had a thin blade, they would be equal.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

WOW..!! You convinced me.....

I'm peddling all my Coopers first thing tomorrow morning. I hope I get enough for them to maybe get another T-3 and possibly even a used Savage in exchange.

On second thought, maybe I'll just take 50-75 dollars in cash in lieu of the used Savage....

As for the Cooper supplied targets, I was told about the 46 yard range probably ~15+ years ago when I first talked to the folks at Cooper. I didn't realize I was privy to confidential information that's been mentioned on the internet probably 100's of times in the past 5 years alone.

You must be the unluckiest person in the world to get a bad Cooper, and they have done absolutely nothing to try to make you happy. Yowser..!!

-BCB
Sam in Perth
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x42

Post by Sam in Perth »

Whoah!! Ease up there fella's, we're all friends here right?

I think I have some solutions to pretty up the Tikka, but unlike BCB's ladies the solution to ugliness is to remove plastic.

First, the bolt shroud. http://www.hss.net.au/product_info.php? ... cts_id=533 Seen more clearly here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcu2zOfX6V0. Why they used a plastic one in the first place and how I haven't broken it already is beyond me. I'll post a photo when my new alloy one arrives.

Next the stock http://www.gunworx.com.au/thumbhole-var ... -p-44.html. No fancy walnut, but I would be scared to take $1,000 worth of craftsmanship out of the safe.

To finish it off, we just need the detachable bottom metal and the AICS mags. Hope they aren't stupidly short like the factory mags.

The question is, should I spend my money on rebarreling the .308 or buy a pretty, wooden stock for the .204?

Mike, if you could find out where your friend got the magazine follower I would be grateful. Google has been no use.
Sam

Tikka T3 Varmint - Bushnell 4200 6-24x42 Mil Dot
Winchester 9422