If you had $1000 at cabelas...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

If you had $1000 at cabelas...

Post by bullfrog »

what would you do with it?
I have a bunch of points built up from a company that gives "rewards points" when I buy their products for my business. I can cash these in for something out of their catalog (tv, computer, golf crap, etc), or I can get Cabelas gift certificates with them. Only problem is deciding what to buy. I don't shop much at cabelas as I would normally like to support more local merchants, so I'm not really interested in stocking up on bullets and such. I will get those locally.

One option would be optics. I could use some good bino's. Leupold switch power maybe? I have a couple of pairs that I make due with, but would be nice to have some good ones for eastern montana next fall.

A rifle would be fun. I need a good light 243 for coyote calling in cougar country. I have a gap in betweeen my .270 and .204 so .243 would be a great fit. Maybe tikka t3 stainless or remington?

Sidearms. This is most tempting...today. Maybe tomorrow will be different. That's why I want your input. I have a gap inbetween .22 and .45! I would like a medium frame 38/357 for a trail gun while hiking/horn hunting. Also need a pocket gun for carry. Could go with a little lcp or something but would rather have a s&w airweight series in 38. Could get both if I opted for taurus or ruger on the 357 as opposed to s&w.

Any suggestions? What's my biggest weakness?
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: If you had $1000 at cabelas...

Post by glenn asher »

I think I'd lean towards a Ruger GP-100 or S&W 686, probably in 4". A good .357 is never a bad choice :mrgreen: and it's practically impossible to wear one of those out. I really don't like the new safety switch on the S&Ws now, so I'd probably go with the Ruger. With the rest of the money, I'd get dies and supplies :wink:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

I myself would buy either a Cooper .17 Fireball or a Nightforce. But those switch power Leupolds look extremely handy and might tempting :lol: Good luck.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
bullfrog

Post by bullfrog »

Yeah, it's tough not having a revolver. I feel like a smarter choice would be good bino's, but guns are much more tempting. a .17, or another .204 is a must down the line, but I don't have a schedule where I can do much rat hunting, so I'll keep living vicariously through you guys!
If I did the ruger revolver I could also get an lcr or s&w j frame for carry. That would be a great combo and then I'll just need to start reloading .38's.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'm glad it's not me making this decision.....I'd be up at night pondering the choices.

bullfrog, like you said, guns are tempting, but just think how much use you'd get out of those Switch-Powers......... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ruger1
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 LRPV

Post by Ruger1 »

Since you mentioned glass I thought I'd mention I just picked up a pair of Nikon Monarch X binoculors. I ran into a deal with a friend trading a rifle etc. and we were able to pick up 2 pair much cheaper than Cabela's sells them. We got 10.5x45 and I've got to say they are way superior to my old Action Extreme's I paid $189.00 for. Light and easy to handle and the glass is great.Absolutely no problem seeing dogs out past 500 yards.
bullfrog

Post by bullfrog »

Rick, glad you understand why I posted the question. It is keeping me up at night. :wall: I drew montana tags and will be going to friends for deer in eastern montana and I think those switch powers would really pay off there.
R1, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm done with nikon. I've had monarchs in the past and didn't like them for many reasons. Leupold has taken care of a couple of repairs in great fashion for me so I'm sticking with them until they give me a reason not to.
Cabelas is no bargain, that's for sure. But i'm stuck with them on this. Probably another reason to go with optics over gun. I can definately get a better price on the guns locally and not pay ffl and shipping.