My new Cooper finally showed up...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

My new Cooper finally showed up...

Post by Big_Bullseye »

After a long two or three month wait my new rifle finally showed up today.

In early 2008 after I started reloading I read a post on the 24 hour campfire forums talking about a rifle caliber that was referred to as "the perfect 7". So happens that I started reloading that year and I got the idea in my head that I wanted a .280 Ackley Improved. First thing I did was consult a guy here on the board that I think knows a thing or two about guns, Glennasher. He gave me the low down, answered some questions and then my mind was made up. I think there were (and still are) only two rifle manufacturers that were building rifles in that Caliber, Cooper and Nosler. I already had a Cooper model 38 in .17 Fireball that was a shooter and so the choice was easy. Cooper it was.

I put it on the back burner as I was on an AR15/10 kick at the time and had to have at least two or three of those in various chamberings.

Well I finally broke down and bought one from First Stop in SD. I found out that they had an Excalibur in the works and I got them to change it to the desert camo stock and walla.. I already had one Cooper with a pretty piece of wood and I am an equal opportunity gun buyer and like a nice composite stock as well. I wanted this gun to hunt hard with, something that I can take out in the cold rain and snow of Missouri, take out west and Mule deer hunt, maybe belly crawl up to some Pronghorn or pack up in the mountains and kill a big old Elk.

I wasn't a big fan of Coopers "standard" composite stocks which is black with sort of red splattering all over it. As luck would have it they have came out with several new Cooper composite stocks by Bell and Carlson in different patterns and that is what I went with.

This is a dream rifle for me and I wanted to do it up right so I topped it with a Swarovski Z5 3.5X18X44P scope with the optional ballistic turret system (pretty slick, customizable settings). With the 44mm objective I was able to get away with Leupold low standard rings. I will plug Alex at Euro optics in PA, great guy to deal with. I had never done business with the guy and he shipped me the scope in advance of payment so I could inspect it and make sure I was satisfied. Good guy.

And before anyone asks why the ackley instead of the the 280 rem its just because I wanted it. With less powder and less recoil I can get 7mm mag velocities and potentially better accuracy. I can load 140GR bullets to 3200+ fps with 30-06 recoil. Nosler makes really nice factory ammo as well as really really nice brass so no fire forming, heck I can shoot regular old 280 rem cartridges out of it to fire form brass if I ever feel the need.

Anyway here it is;

Cooper model 52 Excalibur
.280 Ackley Improved, 1-10" twist
Desert Camo Bell & Carlson stock

Doveryai no Proveryai
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: My new Cooper finally showed up...

Post by Ray P »

:lol: Sweet......Big_Bullseye!! Real nice.Fluted bolt and barrel.
With scope.......what does she weigh in at?
What barrel length did you settle on?
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Ain't life grand! Just got to love a new toy!! Enjoy. Gary
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Hey, now, all I did was steer you away from that orange-roughy looking stock on the rifle down at Whittaker's, you did all the rest :mrgreen: . Seriously, that was one ugly hunk of wood for a Cooper to be sporting :roll: , which is why Whittaker himself, and I, pointed you back to what you really wanted all along anyway. :D

Honestly, folks, this is one time when the synthetic stock looks a LOT better than the wooden stock Cooper put on an identical rifle. Todd did good here.!
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

BB: Sincere congratulations on both the sweet hunting rifle, and also for the excellent caliber of choice. I hope the rig generates a lifetime of great hunting memories for you in the years to come. That's one sweet looking rig you've got there. I'm betting it will shoot as good as she looks too...... :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Dang sweet rig ya got there!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Very nice i really like the pattern on the stock
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Ray P wrote::lol: Sweet......Big_Bullseye!! Real nice.Fluted bolt and barrel.
Later
Ray P
Need to weigh her.

24" tube.
Doveryai no Proveryai
RUD
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper model 21 phoenix

Post by RUD »

That is one sharp looking setup. I am very envious of you!!!!! I bet it will shoot sweet just like all Coopers do. Congrat's on the new rig.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

I have the same glass on my Sako 260 and really like it. Got both from the same place that you did. I did not do the turret, but may look to do so in the future. How are the lenses on your covers? I got the "only sold with scopes" reply about a scrape on the eyepiece lens cover. I figured I scratched it myself and was willing to buy a replacement. When my it came time for my next Z5 I looked elsewhere. Doug at Cameraland got the nod and great price too. When this one showed and had a similar scrape on the inside of the objective lens cover I knew that I did not do that one. Quick message to Doug and Swaro sent me a replacement quick and easy. I know where my next optics purchase wil be from.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I met Doug, from Cameraland, at the NRA Convention a couple of years ago. Heckuva nice guy, insisted on giving me a hat, even though I didn't buy anything from him. I still wear the hat on occasion.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Ray P wrote::lol: Sweet......Big_Bullseye!! Real nice.Fluted bolt and barrel.
Later
Ray P
8.25lbs

not a lightweight but not a pig either.

I have a couple lightweights already. Custom Rem KS mountain rifle in 30-06 and a Tikka T3 lite SS in 25-06......

I love this gun. may even get to break it in Friday
Doveryai no Proveryai