ruger M77 MarkII target .204 ruger problems

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
calhunter805
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger markII target 26" 1-12 barrel

ruger M77 MarkII target .204 ruger problems

Post by calhunter805 »

hi im new to the post and just bought a used ruger M77 MarkII target in 204 ruger . my friend said it has one box of 40gr vmax down the tube.(also gave me three boxes with it). it has a bushnell 4200 8x32 scope on it. so heres the problem! i took it out yesturday and shot it at 100yrds becuase he was a friend and told me it was sight in at 100. well it wasnt even hitting the board at all i pulled the target in to 50yrds and shot it, it hit the far left of the target about two foot away from where i was aiming. i had to almost max the right adjustment out on the scope to get it to hit above the bullzeye. i took the rifle out of the stock to inspect it to make sure it wasnt just in the stock wrong, but the scope shouldnt be almost maxed out in one directions to get it where it needs to be right? also it shot under .5MOA one almost hole for hole and one right on top of it like mickey mouse pretty darn good for a factory rifle and factory ammo. so my question is the rifle the problem like the mounts the stock the action? or is it the scope damaged some how, has anyone ever had this preoblem?
Ruger1
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 LRPV

Re: ruger M77 MarkII target .204 ruger problems

Post by Ruger1 »

Sounds to me like you need to adjust the windage screws on the scope and start from scratch. Lots of theories on scope mounting and bore sighting. I alway take my windage and elevation knobs and take them all the way to one side and then count clicks all the way back. I then count back to the middle so I have equal movement available on each knob. That may not be the popular vote but it works for me. Then bore sight it and if it's still way off to one side then adjust the windage screws to bring it closer so you can adjust with the scope knobs. Hope that helps. Windage is usually easier to solve than elevation problems. Lots of knowledge on this forum so someone may have a better fix.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I'm going to guess (and that's all it is) that you have some boogered rings. They probably need lapped for a better fit (scope to rings) and it may be one of those rather common Rugers where there's an issue with the scope bases coming out of the mold, that either wasn't filled out properly, or not machined correctly later,(and yes, it's a common problem with Rugers nowadays).

I'd center the scope adjustments in the scope, and either lap the rings myself, or have a smith do it, and have them check for alignment of the rings/base interface. You might need to replace the rings with an aftermarket set with windage adjustments built into the rings, or, in a worst case situation, send the rifle back to Ruger and have them rework it so the scope will work.

Since I hear about it a lot, I'm thinking it's a Ruger-caused problem, and not an issue with your scope. I've only had it happen to one rifle of mine, but one out of three is one too many.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
calhunter805

Post by calhunter805 »

thanks for your help i was thinking it was the rings, i bought a scope ring lapping kit from midway yesturday just to make sure becuase the scope to ring fit was not to great seems like it squishes the scope tube into the ring o well im not to worried about it becuase if it still shoots under 1/2" moa out of the box im not gonna complain at all.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Don't forget about the Burris Signature scope rings and their off-set inserts for getting the old point of aim and point of impact in line. I just swapped scopes on the two Savage 12VLP rifles I own in .204 Ruger and the old Burris Signature 6-24x44mm AO scope didn't have enough adjustment on the elevation knob to get the crosshairs and point of impact lined up. I put a set of +/- 20 off-set inserts in the front ring and now everyone is happy.

I hope your solution is as simple as just doing a lapping job.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
calhunter805

Post by calhunter805 »

well i went out and shot it again today and its hitting in the same spot i left it in just its about four clicks away from maxed out to the right, hope its not a problem but if its hittin in the spot i need it to is it a problem what about at 300yrds?
doobie
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by doobie »

the advise that ruger one and glen asher gave you will solve the problem your experiancing . simply turn your scope adjusting knobs all the way to one side , turn back counting how many clicks it takes , divide the number in half and turn that many clicks back .
bore sight the left and right and adjust best as you can with the windage screws on the rear set of rings .
from there on its fine tune at the range and go have fun !
as far as what happens at 300 yds , won't be known till you shoot it at 300 yds .
i personally would follow the advise of re-centering your scope and readjust your windage .
calhunter805

Post by calhunter805 »

how do u adjust the windage screws on the ruger rings they are self centering?
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

calhunter805...............You need to use a drememl tool and grind some of the ring were it mounts on the receiver opposit the mounting screw. To move the scope right gring a little on the rear ring. To move left gring a little off the front ring.
Hope this helps. Had the same problem on a Ruger77 target in 308 cal. Since then I've switched to Leupold rings and have nto had a problem,

Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"