New to .204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
mikebaby
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

New to .204

Post by mikebaby »

I'm a long time lurker on this forum. I've been searching this forum for a while as well as others, but cannot find a solid answer, so I apoligize if I missed it. I recently recieved my WOA .204 upper. 1-10 twist 24" barrel for my AR. This was specificly built to slay p-dogs in Wyoming, but most use will be punching paper at my local range (200 yard range)

My question to start with is what bullet weight is likely going to be the most accurate out of this rifle? I'm thinking 39-40gr from what I've read.

I appreciate any assistance you can give. And again I apoligize if the answer is out there and I missed it.

Thanks,
mikebaby
Quoddy
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Re: New to .204

Post by Quoddy »

With my 1:12 twist barrel the 39g Sierra BK's and the Berger 40g Match/Varmints are both working well and they are a good choice to start. If you're using factory ammo, you might try the Federal's with the 39g SBK's. I've no experience with heavier 50g Berger's, but with a 1:10 you should be able to use them, too, if you choose to go that heavy. I've had no experience with Hornady's 40g, so won't go there.
Cooper Montana Varminter (.204 Ruger) with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 (Ballistic Turret/Plex reticule)
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: New to .204

Post by glenn asher »

With a 10 twist, you should be able to use most anything up to, and including, a 50 Berger. I don't think the 55 Berger will stabilize, but I might be wrong about that.
Any of the 39-40 grain bullets should do well out of a 10twist barrel, I'd probably lean towards the 40 VMax, IF your rifle likes it. It's "economical" compared to Noslers and Sierras, let alone Bergers, and they wallop prairie dogs well.
Bergers are great bullets, but why spend the money for them, if you don't need them, and V Maxes are wickedgood on prairie dogs, more explosive than Bergers, too.
Of course, your local bulletseller may give a better deal on Noslers or Sierras, let your wallet be your guide, but any of them will work.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!