204 muzzle breaks

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Re: 204 muzzle breaks

Post by Malazan »

I keep debating on getting my .204 braked. My uncle swears by it

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Malazan: Don't do it! At least not on a 204. Your uncle swears by them, other shooters will swear AT you in the field or at the range.

Really, you don't need a brake on a 204 to see your hits. I've got three of them, and I can see my hits with every one of them, even all my HB 223's. The only rifle I have braked is my heavy bench gun, a custom sleeved M700 in 243 Ackley. When you're burning over 40 to 50 grains of powder, THEN a brake might be considered if you want to see your hits. No need for a brake on a rifle chambered for a cartridge that burns less than 30 grs of powder. JMO
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

well i guess i am the lone ranger but i love my m/b. We have 5 204's in my party and all love them. We all use electronic earmuffs so noise is not and issue maybe i am crazy but i love mine. In my comparisons i feel i can see way more but sounds like most would disagree w/ me but call me nuts never had any issues.
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

Electronic cups don't stop you getting slapped by the muzzle blast that's redirected sideways out of the guy next to you's gun if he's running an effective brake. Nothing I hate more than going to the public range and getting a lane next to a guy with an AR and a really good brake. I've heard there are pro guides out west who won't even allow their clients to carry a rifle with one.
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Fortunatlly for me i have buddys w/ property and i dont have to shot on public ranges. And when in the field I guess we set up far enough apart but still close enough to talk(electronic ear muffs are fantastic), and we never have that problem. But i appear to be way in the minority. To each his own
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204