300 yd groups

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Re: 300 yd groups

Post by giterdone »

Our club has a 600 yard range and I was testing out loads using two different primers. I had shot a 5 shot group with Fed 205M primers that was O.K. I marked it on the target so as to not confuse the shot groups and then switched to different load. I fired 5 rounds drove down range for a look see and drove back and fired the second 5 round group for a total of 10 shots. Six went into 1 5/8" and the 10 shot group total measured 2 3/4". This was using my 12LRPV rifle after breaking in the barrel. I now have put a total of 150 rounds thru the barrel.
The load was 25.8grs. of RL-10X using 7 1/2BR primers in match sorted WW brass and 39gr. Sierra BK bullets. Could I do it again? If the conditions were the same.....why not? http://www.longrangeBPCR.com
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Good groups at far distances are quite possible. On a good day cleaning a 500 yd target with a M14 (or AR-15) was a challenge but very doable in ideal conditions from a slung in prone condition using open sights. It's doable @ 600 yards too but that extra 100 yards makes it a tad more interesting. With me, I'm the biggest variable...
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Here is one of my favorite groups with my VLP using 39 gr bk's at 400 yds. Measured .811"

Savage Vaporizer
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

paddy 09 wrote: i have had a few 1" (5 shot) groups at 450 yards .At 300 yards .75" comes fairly often .
I'm assuming this is a custom built job, in a vice, with a 30+ power scope???? Are you a competion shooter or should you be one?? .75 wouldn't even be a ragged hole at 100. I just read this thread again, after shooting at 300 last weekend... I'm more depressed or more impressed now(I'm not sure which). I realize now my scopes (everything from $150 Simmons, to 4200 Bushnell to Vari X III) really aren't up to printing those type of groups due to the inability to get accuate bullseye acquition, cross reticles just cover-up too much, I will bring a better designed targets next time. Maybe it was more the targets I was using not the reticles?? What target, design or size do you all shoot at 300 yards???(Gube, your target now looks like one would want at a distance) What glass are any of you guys using who shoot little groups at 300?? Maybe I shouldn't worry about 300 until I can put 5 in the same hole at 100. Practice, pratice, practice...
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

My VLP has a Leupold VX-L 6.5 - 20 X 56mm with the varmint reticle. When dialed in at 20X, I used the third hash mark down and was about 3 1/2" low.
Here's some links to the free targets that I use. I like some of their long range targets. Helps me stay focused when I squeeze off that shot.

http://www.gamecalls.net/free_stuff/52_ ... rgets.html
http://www.protargets.com/targets/index2.htm
Savage Vaporizer
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

remy3424....First of all I have shot in competition most of my life since my high school rifle team days (position shooting). Lastly, I have competed in 800, 900, 1,000 yard shooting with mechanical sights (peep sights) with BPCR 1874 Sharps rifles and Winchester Highwall rifles for some years. I have won and/or placed in these long range matches many times. I have learned over the years that NOT everyone, REGARDLESS of equipment cost or manufacturer used, can be a sucessful competitive shooter. There is only room for one first place winner. I have said before, the bullet doesen't find its own way to the center of the target by itself. It depends on the "nut behind the butt". He must have superior reloading skills, a rifle capable of performing with the ammo he loaded, and wind reading abilities in addition to an ability to concentrate. These are Just some of the skills required to be a strong competitor. Buying/building a rifle capable of super accuracy is just a start. Not everyone can excell to the same level with that one rifle. We all would like to think that we can shoot bug holes ALL the time, but it all depends upon how dedicated you are to the sport, and how much time and effort you are willing to expend. :twocents:
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

You guys that can acheive these results with factory rifles I would think could get some kind of a sponsorship from the rifle manufacturer. I love seeing the likes of Tom Knapp doing incredible shots and shooting. There likely isn't a huge market, but for grand opening for new stores or making a marketing video, you guys might be able to make some coin or get your rifles supplied from the firearms company. I would love to see a dvd playing in Cabelas, BPS or where ever showing what a companies firearms are capable of. Cooper has their 3 shot groups, but I have never seen the distance these were shot at...100 ft or 50 yards, maybe you guys know, but 200, 300 or 400 yards would be a instant seller shooting sub 1" groups. Well, now that I envision it.....I guess you would have to really be a die-hard to watch that long to shoot 5 shots and get out to the target to show the groups. Much quicker enterainment to see 8 clays broken in 2 seconds!! But there could be an opportunity for you guys, or is that your gig already, I guess I really don't know who anyone is here, maybe this is your job, not a hobby or past time. Like Giterdone eluded too, you don't shoot like that going out once every week or 2. I would like to see some of your "profiles" to see what different types of guys we all are, but maybe that's not in the cards, part of the attaction of the internet is ability to remain anonymous or maybe I have not dug around to find "profiles" of the users here. I did see the "limited" profiles on a few guys, but most don't even tell where they are from, little lone anything much about them. Likely reasons for that. I guess I was just sending out my thoughts here guys. If I read enough posts I can figure out a few things here and there about some of you. I didn't intend to highjack here, just started going in every direction!!!
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424