Savage 12 LRPV

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
204rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: cz204 varmint

Savage 12 LRPV

Post by 204rookie »

Does any one here shoots savage 12 LRPV in 204 with dual port? If you do, I would like to know how do you like it and how is the accuracy for the 10 pounder beast?

Thanx
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Re: Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Mike »

I've spent a little bit of time with a couple of LRPVs, but both of them had the RBLP configuration. One was a .204 and the other was a 6 BR. Accuracy was very good out of both rifles, but that was about the only positive attribute that I found. The actions felt clunky to me and the triggers were very finicky when set down to their lightest weight. I had to be careful closing the bolt because anything less than a smooth closure engaged the trigger safety and forced me to reopen the bolt and try again.

Before a bunch of guys jump on me, I will freely admit that these were not my rifles and I might not have learned the magic touch required to operate them flawlessly. In any case, an LRPV isn't that much cheaper than something like a Cooper or Sako and there is absolutely no question in my mind which is a better deal.
Last edited by Mike on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

There would be no question in my mind either. The LRPV for sure.
broncsandwhiskey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage modle 12 LRPV

Post by broncsandwhiskey »

Well I am not the worlds expert but I will say this I own a LRPV and it is by far and away the most acurate of all my Savages and I own just a few. It is one that you have to get used to but even the bench rest boys that deal in right bolt left ported actions that cost nothing less than your avrage home know what I am talking about. Now if you do decide to buy one just check the pull of the triger from the factory setting and if you are satisfied then leave it but if not tune it down a bit. I have had no trouble with mine and I have it set at 10 oz. I am not sold on the dual port idea but hey what can you do. Hope this helps and good luck. Ride Up!!!
RIDE UP!!!
Savage LRPV .204 With a Burris 6.5x20 Mill Dot
And alot of other savage rat killers
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Accuracy is excelent,right out of the box, with factory ammo, well under 1/2".I don't see the advantage of a dual port.The left port is handy off the bench (where else would you shoot a 13 1/2lb LRPV).Shooting F class perhaps.
Ruger1
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 LRPV

Post by Ruger1 »

I currently own 3 LRPV's. I have 2 in .223 and plan to convert 1 to 6BR and have one in .204. Recently sold my 22-250 LRPV. I went thru several varmint rifles before deciding this one was for me. I'm sure there are better rifles out there but in my opinion it's a keeper right out of the box. I have had issues with a couple of them if I set the trigger too light initially. If you do that it takes almost a perfect trigger squeeze to avoid tripping the sear. I too don't see an advantage to dual port. You have a choice of right or left bolt/port. Not saying I wouldn't consider another rifle but these will be staying in my arsenal. Mine will all shoot under 1/2 inch with factory ammo if I am having a good day on the trigger. Just starting my reloading and hope to get even tighter groups but I can't complain about these groups with factory stuff.
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

I have a 6BR dual port but I have yet to shoot it. And it is a big heavy beast..... ave to find some time.

Put a Richard Near 10 MOA base on it and MKIV rings with a Zeiss conquest 6.5X20X50
Doveryai no Proveryai
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

I have a Savage 12 LRPV right bolt left port in .204 its the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. If you want a "vanity rifle" buy a Cooper for the same price.
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Mike

Post by Mike »

giterdone wrote:If you want a "vanity rifle" buy a Cooper for the same price.
Don't know why you'd call a Cooper a "vanity rifle" when it will shoot every bit as good as the Savage (probably better), has much higher build quality, vastly superior materials and looks that have made grown men cry. Spending money on a name alone is vain. Spending money on substance is something entirely different, and that is why I bought a Cooper. YMMV.
giterdone

Post by giterdone »

giterdone wrote:vastly superior materials and looks that have made grown men cry
Mike.. bring your factory "Cooper" .204 rifle to No. Illinois and shoot it at my clubs 600 yard range and then I will shoot my LRPV at 600 yards and we shall see which one prints the smallest 10 shot group. They build a nice looking rifle but I dont see them winning any long Range matches with them. WWW.LongRangeBPCR.Com
Mike

Post by Mike »

giterdone wrote:Mike.. bring your factory "Cooper" .204 rifle to No. Illinois and shoot it at my clubs 600 yard range and then I will shoot my LRPV at 600 yards and we shall see which one prints the smallest 10 shot group. They build a nice looking rifle but I dont see them winning any long Range matches with them. http://WWW.LongRangeBPCR.Com
I've spent a bit of time with a couple of LRPVs (one .204 and the other a 6BR) and I'd feel comfortable putting my Cooper up against either one. However, my point wasn't to see which rifle was the most accurate. My point was that a Cooper delivers a lot of substance at its price point and is far from a vanity rifle, in my opinion.

I don't follow the long range competitions, so I can't say much there. Are Coopers built on a platform that competes in those matches?
giterdone

Post by giterdone »

giterdone wrote: Are Coopers built on a platform that competes in those matches?
No more than Savage 12 LRPV are. I guess I will keep my "lower build quality, vastly inferior materials rifle" and keep on smiling. :redx:
Mike

Post by Mike »

giterdone wrote:No more than Savage 12 LRPV are.

An LRPV certainly seems like more of a benchrest design than a Cooper.
giterdone wrote:I guess I will keep my "lower build quality, vastly inferior materials rifle" and keep on smiling. :redx:
I suppose that I'll hang on to my overpriced, ego-boosting stick as well. We shoot these things to have fun, so I sure wouldn't want you or anyone else shooting something you didn't like. :D
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

I'll keep both - my LRPV and my Cooper(s). :twisted:
Doveryai no Proveryai