What are the bases and Ring choices for Cooper model 52's?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

What are the bases and Ring choices for Cooper model 52's?

Post by Big_Bullseye »

I know that all Coopers come with Leupold bases as I have a model 38 already. I have a model 52 in 280AI on the way and I was searching for what the alternatives are as it relates to bases and rings.

If the Leupold standard bases are the only choice would I be better off to try out the Burris Signature rings or should I just stick with the Leupold rings. I have a set of med rings at home already but I was curious what other options are out there.

I will be mounting a Swaro Z5 1" tube.

Thanks

PS - I will add that I have not had any probs with Leupy rings and bases. Just curious.
Doveryai no Proveryai
Quoddy
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Re: What are the bases and Ring choices for Cooper model 52's?

Post by Quoddy »

Cooper's come with either Leupold or Talley bases. Mine came with Talley's, which I was very happy with. Mounted my Swaro Z5 with low Talley rings and never looked back.

Cooper Montana Varminter (.204 Ruger) with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 (Ballistic Turret/Plex reticule)
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

I wonder what determines which bases they use. I bought that same scope, can't wait to get it mounted (when I get my gun)
Doveryai no Proveryai
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

BB, my Cooper came with the Leupold bases and they work fine so I'm wondering why you are looking for an alternative? (of course I'm a Leupold fan anyway) Just wondering :chin: Gary
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Captqc wrote:BB, my Cooper came with the Leupold bases and they work fine so I'm wondering why you are looking for an alternative? (of course I'm a Leupold fan anyway) Just wondering :chin: Gary
Well I have several guns with Leupold bases and rings and have no major issues with them. However I just mounted a Zeiss scope on a Savage LRPV and I used a very high quality one piece Richard Near base with Leupold MK IV rings and with no ring lapping the scope was optically aligned with the bore with one click of the windage. That was impressive and the set up is very solid.

I have never been a huge fan of the rear standard base to ring securing method using only windage screws. I actually had a ring come loose on my Kimber deer rifle once. This gun is going to be a mule deer, elk and antelope gun and if it gets bumped in poor conditions I want rest assured that it will not lose zero. The Leupold with the windage screws out back just don't inspire major confidence.

Anyhow - I already contacted Near and they of course don't make a base for Coopers. I'm sure I will end up with either Talley or Leupold. I have experience with Talley but I may give them a try.
Doveryai no Proveryai
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

BB: On the sad fact Leupold only makes the non-confidence inspiring STD (windage) rear base for Coopers.....I've been pestering them for a full year now to at least bring out their solid Dual Dovetail Bases for Cooper rifles. I'm told that if they weren't so far behind with their standard products, they'd consider engineering that base.

They just don't have the engineering time to work on it. Must be nice to have that kind of product backlog....for them that is. Someday, we'll have one more option for our Coopers, but don't hold your breath.

BTW, every Cooper I've seen on a dealers shelf here has always had Leupold bases. Never seen one on display with Talley's. Wonder what's up with that? :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Quoddy
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by Quoddy »

I don't think that the bases on the Cooper's are totally random. My observation is that dealers dealing in mainly basic Cooper versions seem to most often have Leupold bases, whereas dealers with more custom versions seem to have many more with Talley bases. My Cooper was from Hendershot's, and the majority of Cooper's there have Talley bases.
Cooper Montana Varminter (.204 Ruger) with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 (Ballistic Turret/Plex reticule)
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

I may swap out the Leupy's for a Talley set up and see how I like it.

I just got word from First Stop that my gun should ship to them by the first week of May. Therefore I should have it in hand by mid May. Can't wait to get this nice Swarovski mounted and the gun broke in.... I have already loaded up some Nosler Accubonds in the 140GR weight.
Doveryai no Proveryai
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Looks like Warne makes a weaver style base for Coopers as well. FYI.
Doveryai no Proveryai
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

BB, Thanks for the information, you learn something new every day. Be sure to post pics of the bad girl when you get her set up. Gary
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I hear ya. Not much to choose from for Coopers. I went with the light weight Talley one piece ring and base on my model 22 Cooper(no rail connecting the two rings). That's all I could find at the time in stock. I think I had two choices and the other one was out of stock. So far they've been great and light as a feather! I also lapped them and was done in seconds. Looks like everybody did their part from the tapered screw head being on center with the threads to the guy who did the drilling and tapping. I just noticed they spelled Creedmoor wrong on my barrel. My barrel says Creedmore. That's two rifles in the past 3 years with spelling errors. One Cooper and one Savage. :duh:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition