22 HORNET

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
poppybull
.204 Ruger Guns: none

22 HORNET

Post by poppybull »

Is the 22 hornet a viable Prairie Dog gun? Already set up with 17 HMR and a couple of 204's, would this rifle serve a purpose in th pasture? Is there any demand for 22 Hornet brass?

Thanks in advance for your responses, ya'll are a GREAT BUNCH!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 22 HORNET

Post by Rick in Oregon »

poppybull wrote:Is the 22 hornet a viable Prairie Dog gun?
In a word, "yes", for action inside the 250 yard marker. Like you, I've got lesser and more intense calibers, but really enjoy the light report and measley powder consumption, and still be able to make good hits on PD's and squirrels at 250+ yards. The wind is the determining factor when using the Hornet, just like the 17HMR.

A couple of days ago when the wind got up and we took down our rat benches, I used my 22 K-Hornet for cruising around the ranch shooting out the window of the truck using window bags, and still got nice thumps much farther than my 17HMR's could have done considering the wind factor. The Hornet hits with much more authority on these critters too, just by virtue of bullet weight. (Scroll down to my post on the 22 K-Hornet to see what I mean.)

In improved form, the 22 K-Hornet can launch the new Barnes 30gr Varmint Grenade at almost 3,400 fps. To me, it shoots like my 222 Remington, but uses only 13.0grs of powder. Pretty efficient, and I can load any of my Hornets cheaper than I can shoot my 17HMR's by virtue of being able to reload all of them.

If you're on the fence and have never owned a Hornet of any kind, you're in for a real treat. I've got Hornets in regular flavor, 22 K-Hornet, and 17 Ackley Hornet. Think of it like this: "Hornet = FUN" :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

poppybull
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: 22 HORNET

Post by poppybull »

Thanks for your reply! I'm sold. Will order one Monday. Rick, did a SEARCH, found your excellent article, as well as several others. Did not mean to ask a question which had been previously answered. You CONTINUE to be a valabule sorce of information for us NEWBIES.

Thanks again.