What's your round count....

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Keith in Ga

What's your round count....

Post by Keith in Ga »

on your .204? Just curious as to how many rounds you've fired, and how is the accuracy? I've got over 2000 rounds thru my Cooper varminter, and it is still very accurate. I hope it will hold up for several more pd trips, and re-barreling will not be needed (in the near future).
ImageImage
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: What's your round count....

Post by Captqc »

Keith, round count on my Cooper is zero! But that will change in a couple of weeks!!! I'm glad to hear about your Cooper and I expect the same from mine. My round count on my Remington is around 1,000 but I've lost track of the exact count. She is very accurate and the barrel looks great at this point. Now that I've got two .204's I'll be switching back and forth so I won't heat the barrel at all! :D Look out Skippy, here I come! :lol: Gary
double pumper
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 vls 204 cooper m21 phoenix 204

Post by double pumper »

just for giggles, my cooper m21 phoenix 204 was rebarreled by cooper @6000 rounds,now has 2100 additional rounds and shooting very fine indeed, normally under 1/4" @100yards. my rem.m700 vls 204 started shooting sour @3500 rounds and has been rebarreled to 223 holland imp. it now has 2200 rounds down the tube and shooting excellent. love the 204, but decided to go with the 223 because of nonleaded reouirements where i normally shoot. .hope this info helps! here is to watching skippy fly.... larry
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

My VLP has just over 3000 rds through it and it will still print out at 1/2 moa
Savage Vaporizer
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

465 rounds so far in my Shilen replacement barrel.

Most has been load development though I did run through over 100 rounds in the field that had been developed for the factory tube.

The factory tube was around the 4000 round mark (though I never kept an accurate track of rounds fired, could be as many as 1000 more) and was still printing them under 1 MOA but I had the Shilen barrel ready and waiting so I put it on near the end of the season last year. Keeping precise records now so I should be able to monitor the barrel life much better this time.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Have three.Don't ask.I know,you don't need to.Round count still low.The LRPV has 300,the other two @ 200 and 40.One thing I am doing ,is to use different head stamps for each gun.WW,Hornady,and Remington.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

The round count through the barrel on my Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger stands at 2,644. Some of the first 500 rounds were some fairly hot loads. The accuracy is still great--under 1/2".

There is a super match grade stainless steel 1 in 11" twist three-groove Pac-Nor .204 barrel sitting in my basement waiting to be chambered and installed on this rifle, but it is still shooting way too good to have it replaced. I'm also in the process of building another .204 Ruger on a Savage target action and will use a #6 contour stainless steel Lilja barrel with three grooves and a 1 in 12" twist (they don't make a 1 in 11" twister). It will sit in an H-S Precision Pro-Series 2000 stock done in the Tan Web color. I am having Fred Moreo over at SSS time and true the action just to see what one of those jobs feels like. I plan on using 39 gr. Sierras in it and I think the 1 in 12" twist barrel will be just fine for them. The 39 grainer is the bullet I now use in the Savage 12VLP.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
sniper 101

Post by sniper 101 »

I would like to know if your groups settled down after a few hundread rounds?

i have about 50 rounds down my savage vlp and its holding a hair under 1" @ 100yds(probably do to my lack of skills). hoping it settles a little.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

double pumper wrote:just for giggles, my cooper m21 phoenix 204 was rebarreled by cooper @6000 rounds
If you don't mind indulging me by answering a few questions...

1. Did you buy the gun new?
2. When did you have it rebarreled?
3. Did Cooper charge you for the new barrel?

There have been a few discussions on the forum about Cooper rebarreling rifles for original customers at no charge and I'm curious to know about your experience.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Captqc wrote:Keith, round count on my Cooper is zero!
Gary, if you don't shoot that thing someone's going to come up there and take it away from you! :wink:
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Mike wrote:
double pumper wrote:....There have been a few discussions on the forum about Cooper rebarreling rifles for original customers at no charge and I'm curious to know about your experience.
It was a standing policy of the old Cooper Arms when Dan Cooper/Dan Pickett ran the ship. I have also been told by folks who bought Cooper rifles second hand that they have also received re-barreling service at no charge.

I have no idea if this is still the policy of the new Wilson Arms Cooper Firearms buyout management...

-BCB
double pumper
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 vls 204 cooper m21 phoenix 204

Post by double pumper »

the cooper was put into service 11-18-06 . about 4-17-09 with 5775 rounds down the tube ,the first 20-25 rounds shot excellent then it started spraying 1-2ft. cooper confirmed the barrel was toast, for $125 including shipping a new barrel was installed. the only thing i wanted a match type chamber with no freebore ,that was$450 so i choose the lesser. at this point the gun shoots well under 1/4" if i do my part. round count today is 2127. hope vthis info helps ... larry
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

:eek: Mike, your right! My kid (Rat Force One) has his eyes on it! But not to worry, she will receive a baptism of fire next week! :D I can't stand the wait. Gary
Mike

Post by Mike »

Bayou City Boy wrote:I have no idea if this is still the policy of the new Wilson Arms Cooper Firearms buyout management...

-BCB
Yeah, that's what prompted my question. One of these days I'll get around to calling Cooper to find out. I shouldn't be in any danger of burning out my barrel in the near future, but I am curious.
Mike

Post by Mike »

double pumper wrote:the cooper was put into service 11-18-06 . about 4-17-09 with 5775 rounds down the tube ,the first 20-25 rounds shot excellent then it started spraying 1-2ft. cooper confirmed the barrel was toast, for $125 including shipping a new barrel was installed. the only thing i wanted a match type chamber with no freebore ,that was$450 so i choose the lesser. at this point the gun shoots well under 1/4" if i do my part. round count today is 2127. hope vthis info helps ... larry
Larry, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the feedback.