speer bullets

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

speer bullets

Post by varget204 »

has anyone tried new speer TNT 39gr hp; or the 32gr TNT Green bullet??? :chin:
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: speer bullets

Post by glenn asher »

Can't try 'em if I don't know about 'em :oops: :oops: :oops: This is the first I've heard about them!

A couple of years ago, Melvin Eades(from this forum, and a heckuva nice guy) and I, separately, accosted the Speer/RCBS/ATK folks at the NRA Convention, about .204 bullets, and they seemed receptive to the idea, but after a couple of years I'd about given up on them (actually, it was Melvin, me and 60+ other folks bending their ears, we can't claim all the credit ;) ).

I think Melvin and I both hit them up for a boattail 37gr., or something similar. Interesting that they did the "monkey see, monkey do" thing with the "normal" bullet weights. :chin: :chin:
Thanks for the heads up on them, though. I'll keep an eye out for some at the usual places and order some when they start hitting the shops and online places. I got a new credit card to break in :wink: .
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Hey Glenn,
I was thinking like you that maybe Speer wasn't interested in making any .20 caliber bullets. I see their B.C. for the 39 isn't quite what the Sierra's are. I'm curious to see what their bullets will look like and what kind of a price they will have on them.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics ... &firearm=1
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

They are certainly behind the curve, or the eight ball, or whatever other comment comes to mind ;) . Those BCs are pretty poor, but for a calling bullet, when you get 'em close, it wouldn't matter much. Lots of guys get along with the old .22 Hornet, nothing much in the BC lineup. I've never had much luck with TNTs, though.

Still, a BC of .202 with a 39 gr. TNT doesn't sound too inspiring, does it? :roll: If the 32gr. bullet tries really hard, it comes up with a BC similar to the .17 HMR's little 17 VM. Again, not an inspirational load, but at least they're stepping up. According to a spy at the factory (not mine, but another poster's on another forum) Speer IS working on some plastic tipped bullets, but they are really behind on orders right now, and they aren't expecting THOSE to hit the market before next year.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!