Bullet choices and my dilemma..

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Bullet choices and my dilemma..

Post by Pydpiper »

I have tried almost every available factory load in my Tikka .204, the best so far is the 39grain Blitz king, the worst is the 40 grain Hornady.
I see now there is a 45 grain Berger, is it available in a factory load? More importantly, from what I understand the 40 grain Hornady did not like my gun due to the length of the bullet not liking the barrel twist of the Tikka, am I in for the same poor performance from the 45 assuming of course it is a larger bullet as well?

Thanks!
Keith in Ga

Re: Bullet choices and my dilemma..

Post by Keith in Ga »

I'm assuming you don't reload, but sounds like maybe you should. My Cooper Varminter didn't really like any of the factory loads I tried either, but when I started reloading for it, different story. It really shoots the 32 gr blitzkings, and lately has developed a liking for 40 gr v-max. I believe your Tikka will shoot, but you just have to find out what load it likes.
I doubt if your factory twist Tikka will do any better with the 45 gr, but it's worth a try.
ImageImage
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

When I first got my .204, I purchased a box of each factory round available (5) and that was the extent of the factory offerings... The Remington, with the 39gr shot the best and the Winchester 34gr was second, but had feeding issues due to the hollow point and the feed ramps... The Hornady 40gr came in as a close second, the 32gr and 40gr Bergers (HSM) shot worst of all... This was in about 2001....

After starting to reload, the 39gr Sierra BKs are still the best grouping and the 35gr Bergers are coming into their own, but I'm still working on the 'perfect' load for them..

I've tried the 45gr Hornady bullets, and for a hunting round, I can get "minute of coyote", but never the groups that I want on the range, at paper...I certainly wouldn't consider them for Prairie Dogs...
AR
Factory/Factory
nitis
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700

Post by nitis »

To the naked eye the hornady 45 gr softpoint appears to have a shorter bearing surface than the 40 gr vmax

I shoot the 45 gr softpoint as I tried it my gun liked it and it does what I want it to do now the berger may or may not have the same results without looking at one it is hard to say
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I shoot 40 grain v-max and love them have had great results. I shot the blitzking 39 grains and had the same rsults as my horndys but he 40 gr v-max r cheaper so i went w/ them. You need to reload and find your guns sweet load.

Good Luck
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

PydPiper--I have never tried the 45 gr. Hornady bullets, but I think there a number of .204 Ruger shooters who have found that they shoot accurately out of their 1 in 12" factory barrels.

The 32 gr. Hornady V-Max factory ammo shot great in my Savage. I never tried 40 gr. Hornady factory ammo, but shot lots of 40 gr. V-Max bullets in handloads and never found an accurate load for my rifle. I did try the factory 34 gr. Winchester HP stuff and it didn't group worth a darn. Handloads with 32 gr. V-Max, 35 gr. FBHP Bergers, 39 gr. Sierras, and 40 gr. Nosler BTs shoot great out of my Savage.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox