Cooper model 21 or others?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Re: Cooper model 21 or others?

Post by Mike »

Quoddy, that's one of the finest looking Coopers that I've ever seen. Congratulations on an incredible rifle.
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Post by jdefranc938 »

Here it is guys! All finished up with setting up the Cooper. Here are a couple pics of it while I was starting to break it in today.

Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sweeeeet setup, rifle and scope! I can almost feel that grin from here on the left coast. Hope she's a real shooter, be sure to let us know how it went on the first time out.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jdefranc938

Post by jdefranc938 »

First trip out yesterday was with the Hornady 32gr V-Max just to break it in and get some brass. It shot just over 1/2" 3 shot group. And yes, compared to the M77 (which is now gone and a CZ 527 Varminter took it's place) I am much happier.
Last edited by jdefranc938 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdefranc938

Post by jdefranc938 »

Took it out again today and shot a VERY tight group (slightly bigger than the size of one hole) with the factory loads. I love this rifle!!! :D
Sam in Perth
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x42

Post by Sam in Perth »

Very attractive setup!

I might have to look into how I can get a Cooper down to this side of the world.

Just looked at the photo's again, real nice.
Sam

Tikka T3 Varmint - Bushnell 4200 6-24x42 Mil Dot
Winchester 9422
Troy (WA)
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21 Varminter .204

Cooper model 21 center piece.

Post by Troy (WA) »

This 204 is a recent purchase topped with a Burris 4X16X50. I have not sighted it in yet but took the action out of the stock to install sling swivel studs last night. I was surprised to see that the recoil lug is dove tailed into the bottom of the receiver. I hope that the higher recoiling rifles are welded in place for accuracy sake over time. It probably does not matter for the 204 though. Got the job done and snapped some photos. Harris swivel bipod and a Montana sling from Cabelas. Is it June yet?Image
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

I do not yet have a Cooper, but at least one Model 57, a Model 52, and a Model 54 are on my lengthy wishlist.

I have a shooting buddy with a Cooper M21 Varminter in .204 which he has had for about three years. His has a 26 inch barrel, but I believe that most are 24 inches. It is very accurate at probably .5 MOA with many factory loads. The only malfunction that it has ever had, to my knowledge, was a broken firing pin, and Cooper repaired that promptly. Hands down, he loves the rifle.

An important point about Cooper is that they will replace a barrel for the original owner if you shoot it out. To my knowledge, they do not advertise this, but I am told that they will do it. Also, it would take a number of rounds to shoot the barrel out, with a reasonable amount of care. But, if you do a lot of squirrels, prairie dogs, and the like, you can definitely shoot one out. And that amounts to around $300 to $500 in cost, so that is worthwhile! I shot a .223 out in a Browning a-bolt in around 6000 rounds, and the .204 is probably similar.

As far as price between the CZ Varminter and the Cooper, the Cooper is probably what, at least $500 or so more? At that, the CZ is a great value, and it has a magazine, which I like, and a true mini-mauser action, which I also like.

You will probably not go wrong with either one.

And, as far as Sako, you will not go wrong there, either.

And, I do agree with most of the comments about the Savages. They are fantastic clubs though!
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
jdefranc938

Post by jdefranc938 »

Yep i agree. I decided on the Cooper 21 and the pics of the beastly rig are further up on this page. I also traded in my M77 204 and picked up the CZ 527 Varminter in 204 as well in it's place. The Cooper has already made groups sub 1/2" at 100 yds with factory ammo. I don't expect the CZ to do quite that well, but I've heard it's a pretty darn accurate rifle. We shall see! If not, there will be another Cooper in my future hahaha
Mike

Post by Mike »

stevecrea wrote:An important point about Cooper is that they will replace a barrel for the original owner if you shoot it out. To my knowledge, they do not advertise this, but I am told that they will do it.
I've heard this as well, but have never confirmed it with Cooper. Can anyone say for sure that this is correct?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: No personal experience with this, but that is the theme of every thread I've ever read on any internet forum, so it must be based in truth. When you consider the excellent craftsmanship and materials in a Cooper, then consider 'free' replacement barrels to the original owner, it makes for some serious consideration when a new rifle is on the horizon. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

jdefranc938 wrote:Yep i agree. I decided on the Cooper 21 and the pics of the beastly rig are further up on this page. I also traded in my M77 204 and picked up the CZ 527 Varminter in 204 as well in it's place. The Cooper has already made groups sub 1/2" at 100 yds with factory ammo. I don't expect the CZ to do quite that well, but I've heard it's a pretty darn accurate rifle. We shall see! If not, there will be another Cooper in my future hahaha
Your CZ Varminter will hold its own against a Cooper in the accuracy department. Like any rifle, one has to find the right recipe.

HTH
Mike

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:When you consider the excellent craftsmanship and materials in a Cooper, then consider 'free' replacement barrels to the original owner, it makes for some serious consideration when a new rifle is on the horizon. :chin:
It makes Cooper the absolute best deal in firearms as far as I'm concerned. :D
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: We all have a pending rifle purchase in our futures, weather we know it or not. I indeed know what my next purchase will be, I'm just not sure of the caliber or model. One thing I DO know, the barrel will have a .204" diameter hole in the end of it. Just don't know what the brass will look like just yet........ :chin:

Oh, and the brand? C..Co...Coo......Cooper or course! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Barrel replacement for the original registered owner has been a Cooper guarantee for years. All that has been necessary is to send in the registration card that came with the rifle when it was new.

I have also heard that in the past Cooper has done the same for second owners, but I have no first hand experience.

Cooper is now under new ownership and Dan Cooper is no longer affiliated with the company. Wilson Arms - the barrel maker that had supplied Cooper barrels for years - now owns Cooper. I have no idea if the policy has changed or remained under the Wilson folks... Hugo Vivero now owns and operates both Cooper Arms and Wilson Arms.

Maybe a phone call..??

-BCB