In need of a .204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: In need of a .204

Post by Jim White »

Fabian wrote:I'm in the market for a .204 and was told to stay away from the ''Rems'' and buy a Howa instead.
Who told you that? I have 4 Reminbgton 700's, 2-204's, 1-6mm and 1-308. They all shoot good, consistently under 0.5" @ 200 yards.

HTH,
Manitobamonster
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 lite, CZ 527 Varmint 204

Post by Manitobamonster »

Hmm I would say take a look at the CZ's or Tikkas I have 1 of each in 204 and they are both great shooters. That being said I have a mad on for Remington atm as I had 2 different 17 fireballs in SPS that had major defects and had to be returned to Remington back to back although it did not cost me anything it bought into question their current quality control practices. First 1 where the bolt goes down into the receiver the back had not been machined far enough back which was causing it to act as a the lock instead of locking on the lugs properly #2 when I got it home I opened the hinge floorplate to clean it all out spring broke and fell off back to the shop again !! I load up some new brass that I had gotten begin to fire all the brass is coming out damaged well back to the shop again they bore scoped it and said it was very unacceptable and needed to be returned as well. When asked if I wanted another I asked how much for the Tikka there and that was the end of it. So far I have shot 35-40gr Bergers out of it and the CZ as well as 39gr Blitzkings with some load work ups I have been able to get dime sized groups with both guns and all 3 of the leads I have used which to me for a factory gun is outstanding. I hope this helps I am not a Remington hater in fact a lover and still own several older Remingtons that I will never part with just their quality control at the moment leaves something to be desired.
We are all slaves to the sport eventually some of us become masters-Unknown

Nothing of importance can be done without effort-D.B. Wesson

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis Dec. 3 2005 Never looked back. Please give to your local MS Society Chapters!!
Fabian
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Fabian »

Manitobamonster good luck with the MS! Thanks Jim! My future father in-law is a Rem basher, hes the one who told me that and I dont get it. I have 4 870s, one cantilever slug one turkey one supermag and one 20 wingmaster. Also a 597 .22. I have never had a problem with any of the four. My slug gun will put five Hornady SST's in a 3inch group at 150 yards. Can't beat that! 597 shoots nickles at 60 yards. I wish I was able to shoot a couple out of a rem a howa a ruger and a savage. Not aware of any place around me where thats possible prior to purchase though.
Fabian
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Fabian »

By the way I appreciate everyone's input on this subject! I am not one to make an uneducated purchase. I like to know what I'm buying before I own it. Thanks again and keep the opinions coming!
m239

Post by m239 »

I have Howas and Remington 700s.

I've been very harry with my Howa's - in my experience the triggers have been better than the Remington's.

My .204 is a Howa and it is very accurate.

Exceptional value for money.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

My only experience with Howa is with a 300 WBY Vanguard. Pretty solid but the trigger needed Loctite to stay set. Pretty solid rifle though. Incidentely, 2-weeks ago I shot a new Howa 204 (not mine). Nice rig & great price but it too needed some trigger work. It shot good...

My Remington XP triggers needed lightening but out of the box they were heavy (pick 4 1/2 lb wt) but crisp. My 6mm has the older factory trigger (from 1970) and its light, smooth & crisp. NOTE: I have noo idea if it came that way or not but its nice. The 40x has a Jewell.
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

I have heard very good reports about the CZ 527s in .204, in both the Varminter and the American versions. One is on my wishlist.

Also, no one has mentioned the Ruger M77 Hawkeye, which I consider to have very good classic lines and styling. Ruger accuracy and triggers have been spotty, and Rugers often need to be accurized by a knowledgeable gunsmith to get them to shoot particularly well.

Weatherby offers at least one or more models of the Vanguard in .204, and I believe the Vanguard is made by Howa for Weatherby. The Sub MOA models have a reputation for excellent accuracy.

I wish that Beretta imported the Tikka .204s to the US, but for some reason they do not. You may have to take a trip to Europe to get one, but their Varmint Stainless is a very good rifle, with excellent trigger and a reputation for out of the box accuracy.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
FireBallGuy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger

Post by FireBallGuy »

I bought a new VSF in 204 some months ago and I love it!! The gun had a trigger issue right out of the box, sent it back to remington and it was replaced free of charge. This thing shoots like a house on fire man! It is a little fickle when it comes to bullets and powder but feed it what it likes and it is awesome!! I am a remington guy as well and to me this is one of the best balanced varmint guns out there! A bit on the heavy side but I don't do a lot of walking or carrying anyway. The barrel fouls very little and with prefered loads it puts 5 into just over a 1/4"! What more can you ask for? BUY A REMINGTON!!
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO
Daniel Brothers in SC

Post by Daniel Brothers in SC »

Here is a Tikka 204 on gunbroker for 600.00.......it's in the USA..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =158489170