CZ ACTION SMOOTHING ?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
IOWA204
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper, kimber, cz, dpms

CZ ACTION SMOOTHING ?

Post by IOWA204 »

I have 2 cz 527 varmint 204s both guns shoot great and I really like them, but the actions are a little rough compared to my Kimber and Remingtons. Just wondering what some of you guys have done to help with this issue I know after alot of shooting and cycling they get better just looking for any tips I can get to help Thanks!
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: CZ ACTION SMOOTHING ?

Post by glenn asher »

Can you elaborate on what your issues are? If it's just feeding, leave the magazines loaded for a while, eventually, they'll loosen up a bit and feed a bit smoother. I personally think the .204 is the absolute maximum length for those short actions, and that may cause a little roughness. I leave my magazine loaded ALL THE TIME, hoping it'll smooth mine up a little, it's not at all bad now, but compared to the .221 and the Hornet, it's a little rougher feeding....
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Thanks Glen because thats one of two negatives I have about the CZ-527, the other being the bolt handle geometry requireing such high mounts.
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

The feeding geometry and the sharp shoulder don't have very much leeway because of the long case, the shoulder kinda bumps the ramp into the barrel, and it can't move much to slip over and up into the chamber.

Smoothing up the rails of the magazine might help here, too. I haven't gotten around to that yet, mine feeds well enough, but there sure isn't much room to play with.

As far as the scope rings go, I'm part giraffe, so it's not too much trouble for me :lol: :mrgreen:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
IOWA204

Post by IOWA204 »

My problem actually is with the bolt sliding rough and sticking towards the back. I'm glad you talked about the magazine that was my next question Thanks!
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Well, hmmmmmm :chin: does it run rough with the magazine completely out of the rifle? If so, it MIGHT be a burr on the bolt stop, or something similar to that. If it just does that with the magazine IN the rifle, loaded or empty, it might be that the bolt is bumping the back of the follower, but those are just guesses. I have three 527s and none do that. :chin: :chin:

It might just be so new that it needs shot a bunch. That's my suggestion, in any event. More shooting= more fun.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I left the clip loaded for a whole summer when I 1st got it per GA's recommendation. It fed much smoother at the end of the summer. So smooth that I loaded the new clip for my old Mossberg 22LR & left it set for as couple months.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
WI3Der
.204 Ruger Guns: cz 527

Post by WI3Der »

I used Flitz polish on the bolt/receiver rails, worked the bolt ~100x, cleaned it off and lubed with Remoil. Now very smooth. :D
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

My action is smooth. But feeding from the magazine is a little bumpy it does feed, each time, every time.

HTH
cracker

Post by cracker »

most of my rifles have a little trick to them to get them to operate flawlessly. with my 527 cz I push the back of the bolt with my thumb then down on the bolt knob with my finger. it runs very smooth when i do this as compared to holding onto the knob to run the bolt. hope thats clearer then mud. It didnt take long to get use to doing this.
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

I had the same issue with my 527 in 221 fb. I cleaned everything well and used a synthetic oil that should have helped, but not much. I then applied a small amount of 1200 grit polishing medium, gave it probably 20 cycles and cleaned and re-applied oil. It seemd to be better, but still couldn't cycle the bolt like it should be cycled for offhand shooting. The above push method is probably great for the bench sessions....

Recleaned, relapped and it cycles well now.

Besides the rough bolt, sticking down magazine, long reach if using the set trigger and very poor "out of the box" accuracy, oh, high rings..... it is a nice gun. If my pillar bedding doesn't reduce the groups, I may go back to remington 700's.....

If I hadn't gotten this for a song, I would be upset...lol

Allen
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

hemiallen wrote: ...and very poor "out of the box" accuracy ...
Allen
CZ's have their issues but I haven't heard to many that complained about accuracy. Do you reload or are you shooting factory ammo?

I don't care for the bolt throw which mandates the high rings either but I can live with it and the magazine.

The set trigger is a tad FWD but as light as it is I havent found it to be an issue. I do believe there is an adjustment for the trigger in the rear most position to lighten but I could be mistaken.

Jim
IOWA204

Post by IOWA204 »

After some polishing with flitz and working the bolt the action has smoothed up nicely. Accuracy wise my 204's and 221fb have been great both guns hold moa pretty easily with just about any load i've tried. With the right loads they all shoot 1/2 moa or better very happy with them, happy enough I ordered 2 more CZ's Friday!!! Way happier with them then the last several remingtons I've been around.