Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by Captqc »

CLOS, Sam, Tarheel, Pokey, AI 204, Guys welcome to the forum! As stated, there is a great bunch of guys around here and a wealth of information too. Don't forget we love pictures around here. Gary
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Hello! Another .204 convert here. This old (58) Central Ohio farm kid hadn't owned a true varmint rifle since my brother and I went halves on a .222 just out of high school. A few years back I started discretely eliminating groundhogs around the treatment plant I operate with a .17 HMR rifle. That was all it took to take me back to the days of my youth. Soon I was wandering the sixty acres we salvaged of grandfather's old farm, and lining up several hundred more acres to hunt 'hogs and coyotes on...mostly with a .204 (Remington LVSF.) Although I now have varmint rifles in other calibers - .22 Hornet, .221 Fireball, .22-250 - at this point, the .204 Ruger would be my choice if I could keep only one.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Rowdy, welcome to the forum! You will soon find that one .204 is not enough! :eek: Hope you enjoy this forum, there is a great bunch of guys here! Gary
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome Rowdy!! Keep punishing those Ohio hogs!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
spacewelder
.204 Ruger Guns: Lothar Walther AR-15, CZ American 204, Rem 700 204, ETC

Post by spacewelder »

Well I live in the communist state of California. I have been a fan of the 204 since it first came out. I have 3 of them ranging from a CZ to remington and AR. I probably have every high speed 22 you can think of and when this little baby came out I was hooked. We don't get to kill hogs out here but ground rodents are plentiful. I grew up shooting hogs in the midwest and Canada. I am so glad they have a site just for the 204 as this has become my favorite round. I am an Aerospace Weld Engineer so if you guys have any questions about metal please let me know as I am more than willing to help.
Quoddy
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by Quoddy »

Hello everyone... new guy/first post. I live on the New York/Vermont border in a very rural area. I decided some time ago, after a lot of research, that I was going to concentrate on .204 varmint hunting and also use it as a target gun. My idea of a "starter" .204 changed, and I quickly decided to buy a Cooper Montana Varminter. I ended up with one in AAA French, fluted barrel, and spiral fluted bolt. I'm going through the mandatory waiting period and will be picking it up no later than this Thursday morning. Since the FFL dealer I'm using for the process is a fairly good gunsmith, I'm having him install the new Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 (Ballistic Turret/Plex reticule) using low Talley rings. The scope will just barely clear the barrel, but that's all that's necessary. I live in the country and have a back yard with a steep mountain behind it to set up for some 100 yard shooting. I'll be posting results using factory ammo when it's zeroed, and with The Hunting Shack's 32 grain SBK ammo when it eventually arrives.
Cooper Montana Varminter (.204 Ruger) with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 (Ballistic Turret/Plex reticule)
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Can't wait for the results but would like pics of the gun TOO :D .
Welcome aboard.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Quoddy

Post by Quoddy »

Thanks. Photos of the Cooper will probably precede sighting in and any MOA targeting. :D
I had only seen rather poor photos of it before it arrived at my FFL dealer.
It really hurt putting that beauty back in the box for the wait.
Cooper Montana Varminter (.204 Ruger) with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 (Ballistic Turret/Plex reticule)
Sam in Perth
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x42

Post by Sam in Perth »

Welcome Quoddy,

That should be a Very Nice rig that you are getting (have to admit I'm a little jealous). You have already made all the right decisions. 204 is a very lovable cartridge, and Cooper and Swarovski both have excellent reputations. I hope it meets your expectations and look forward to drooling over some photos.
Sam

Tikka T3 Varmint - Bushnell 4200 6-24x42 Mil Dot
Winchester 9422
Quoddy

Post by Quoddy »

Photos are on Page 3 of the Cooper 21 thread.
http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&start=30
Troy (WA)
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21 Varminter .204

Post by Troy (WA) »

Hello everyone my name is Troy. I live in Western Washington. Im in my mid 40's. I tried marriage once but well you know. Now it is just me and my Blue Heeler, Jax. I do have two daughters, one of them is grown and living in Texas and the other is still in school here in WA.

I grew up in Oregon around Roseburg. Hunting and fishing was always a part of life. At a young age I carried a Remington model 12 all over the ranch. Robins out of the strawberries and crows out of the cherry trees were fair game as were squirrels out of the walnut tree. I don't hunt much for food, upland birds once in a while. No bird dog so it is more of a Pheasant walk than Pheasant hunt.

I do enjoy camping, fishing, quad riding and shooting and photography. A combination of those things makes for a perfect vacation. Preferably where there are no people, just a few good friends. How anybody could go to a place like Disneyland for a vacation is beyond me.

I am a career LEO 4 years military and going on 17 years civilian. I am a firearms instructor and certified Glock and Colt armorer. I enjoy tinkering with guns and reloading. I collect US Military Arms such as the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, 45's and US 22 cal trainers.

About 5 years ago I found a Remington 788 in 22-250 with a Redfield 6X18 scope in a local pawn shop. I picked it up for $300 and took it home cleaned it up steamed dents and refinished the stock. I took it to my friend who has a gun shop. He is a gunsmith and had been an avid "Varminter" all his life. He bedded the action and floated the barrel. He worked on the trigger, cut a recessed crown on the barrel and turned out an old school varmint rifle. Old school suits me just fine :D

We took a trip to Montana and met with some friends and hit the fields for some PD shooting. Thats when the "Varmint sickness" began. That old 788 shoots great. I had three kills over 500 yards last year the longest was 527 yards. I have a Savage 17 cal for close up work. I have had a hankering for a Cooper in 204 and recently bought the M21 that will go with us to Montana in June.

So here I am trying to pass the time until it is time to go to Montana. I decided to join this forum and maybe meet some new people that share the same "sickness" as I.

Thanks for having me.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Welcome aboard, Troy. From that little bio, I can tell you'll fit right in here no problem. You've already got the "Cooper Curse", so you're well on your way to really enjoy the sickness in style. I've been hooked on this varmint stuff all my life, still hunt, but would much rather have the trigger time on our local varmints too.

Good to have another 'west-coaster' here with us. Pull up a chair, share the fun. :mrgreen:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Daniel Brothers in SC

Post by Daniel Brothers in SC »

Hello Guys.... Dan Brothers here in SC... and I'm not sure why.... since I fell in love with Eugene, Oregon back in 1976 after taking a several week, solo motorcycle ride from Michigan. I said I'd never leave the West Coast... but here I am in SC.... long story there... but i do miss the West. Ten years ago I threw my new wife ( second wife ) into our Holiday Rambler Motorhome and drove all throught the West showing my sweetheart what God's Country really looks like. From Sept 27- Dec 22 of 1999.... and 12,000 miles later... I was ready to move out there somewhere...and we looked all around, but ended up living near relatives in SC. Oh well... anyways... now I live on Lake Marion, Santee, SC.... where Catfishing is KING. But I'd rather have all the Big Stripers and Bass in this lake like they used to be. Now I take out my frustration on bowfishing those Big Cats at night from my lighted boat deck... which believe it or not... it can be as much fun as shooting PDogs.,, and it's year round. If anyone wants to try it... then come on out...my boat is alway in the water. Bowhunting is my #1 Love...but precise and accurate bullet placement is my Second. I've shot a bow since I was 5...now I'm 58... WOW.. that sounds old...LOL But I still feel 35 when I'm in the woods...but I do feel a little age after hauling 10 bow killed deer out last year.. and the 300+ lb hog that I shot last saturday... 2-14-10... with a head shot at 30yds with my Marlin 22 mag... on public land... which is only lawful to use small game weapons. One shot put hm down.. but more was needed in the ear to keep him there. I'll post some pics when I can get them off my razr phone. I knew I should have taken my camera that day. Anyways.. I used to Co-Produce Quest Hunting Productions years ago. As much as I loved to hunt and make videos... it did become a job after 1 year turned into 4 years. Now I stain Log Cabins for a living... they alway need staining every 3-5 years. I like the freedom of working and hunting on my schedule... kinda like Rick in Oregon...LOL. When our deer season stops in Jan... I turn into a squirrel sniper. I love to take their heads off with my Savage 17 HMR...got around 45 so far this year. That squirrel hunting revealed some hogs in the area... so I traded the 17 for the 22 mag... thinking I might need more lead... which I did. I first dropped a little 50 lb boar with one shot between the eyes at 40 yds.. then several jumped up from their beds. I passed on the sows...saving them for seed... taking the big confused boar. I had to quarter that sucker out in the woods and haul it out in my meat sack... which I alway use when packing out deer meat...leaving the carcass for the yotes... which clean it all up in 2-3 days with help from the buzzards. Wow... I had better stop typing... I'm getting carried away. Now my thoughts are about my NEW LOVE... the 204... and I don't even own one yet... but... I loved girls before I had one as well...LOL. Since I shoot left handed... I'm limited a little bit...but I'm in the market for either a lefty or a righty... I don't care... I just gotta get me one. I had the fever bad about 3 years ago when I joined this site... but got sidetracked. Now I'm back in the saddle and won't fall off again. I gotta go shoot them PDogs this year. I drove to West Kansas/Colorado border about 5 years ago and shot over 700 puppy dogs with my 17 hmr and 17 mach 2. I was limited to 200 yds.... but didn't mind it at all.....loved every minute of it. I had a 223 with me... but couldn't watch the impact... what a bummer... so this year, it's going to be 17's and 204's. Anyways... I'll stop rambling for now. I love this website and all the information you guys bring to it. Thanks.... Dan
Ps... PDogs or Bust in 2010.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome back to the Forum Daniel!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Joe O, has been on the site awhiile.For 50 years,the only centerfire rifle I owned is a Sako Forester .243.I always wanted to shoot Gofers,but circumstances and family prevented it.I did allot of Skeet,and trap,and not much rifle,untill last summer when I got the itch back, and rejoined the VHA,and got on their Fourm.Got excited about all the praise I was seeing about the 204ruger,and the fact Savage had a left port ,right bolt action,got me into one pretty quick.I had already commisioned Hart to build a .243AI w/muzzle Brake.Still waiting,so neeeded something to mess with while I waited.I didn't think I ever wanted to shoot bullets saller than 6mm 75gr.Now I'm considering a custom barrel or the G2 Contender, I just bought,which is a 24ruger(now 2).I Bought Todd Kindler's ,"Terrific Twenties",and like the 20VT,20 Ackley Bee,and 20 Clasic.
I have bee retired for over 12 years.I have two Britts,and we shoot birds in my back bird patch(Mr Bob).I had a friend build a berm out back recently,which makes it convient,for working up loads,without going to the gun club.Shooting,and loading is about all I do except for the honeydo's.Going west for a five day PD shoot in mid May;Colorado and Western Kansas.